Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers UNIX Commands - Similarities & Differences Post 303044523 by bdittmar on Tuesday 25th of February 2020 08:10:54 AM
Old 02-25-2020
This User Gave Thanks to bdittmar For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris Unix vs HP Unix, Could someone point out the major differences.

Solaris Unix vs HP Unix, Could someone point out the major differences. I have been performing Support to Solaris Unix for about 6 years, now I am interviewing for a HP Unix position. Could someone point out the major differences? Should it be an easy transition? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hack
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem running plsql & unix commands in 1 script

Hi, I need help again. When I run this shell script, it only runs the unld_date.sql piece and exits. How can I structure this to run all the way to the end? When I don't have the unld_date.sql piece in here, everything runs fine from the date compare piece all the way to the end. Thanks in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siog
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Socket Handling Differences Between Linux & Unix?

Sorry if this is a stupid question! I have been developing a Java application that I am deploying on both Unix and Linux servers, which uses lots of socket handling. When the server side connection is dropped by the server un-gracefully I have been seeing close_waits and null connections. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinnie
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Differences between different versions of Unix

I sent a private message to one of the administrators/moderators, but I thought I'd ask here publicly after some thought. I'm getting into Unix on my Mac (BSD). I was just wondering what the differences are between versions of Unix -- I want to learn more about it, but would it be better to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help... Differences in Communication commands

What is the difference between the following commands. Please with example? rsh ssh scp rcp rlogin ftp telnet Cheers.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differences in printed commands after execution with same code

I have a korn shell script that executes a function which is stored in a common library. In the function there is obviously some code. Here is the line of code in the function in question: temp=`echo $status_cnt|tr -d ` When the shell script executes with set -x, I'm seeing that on most... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjf
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red Hat 7.3 and UNIX similarities and differences::

I recently started an introductory course in UNIX / Linux Red Hat 7.3. The textbook came with the Red Hat 7.3 OS included but no UNIX. Are the commands and syntax so closely related that if I learn one I automatically know how to use the other. What are the similarities and differences. When... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: barbedwire615
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming files & folder according to the similarities in filenames

hello does someone want to help me for this one ? i want to rename files & a folder according to the similarities in filenames for example : the file with the good name cglogo tougl1953 dgmel bogd 01 -- ttgductoog ggdté gollogtd.ext1the others files needed to be renamed cglogo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mc2z674gj
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX vs windows, differences

Hello! Please, I am sorry, I am the absolute beginner, If I have unix as os instead of lets say windows, then can I go to INTERNET and how? Are there some other BIG differences? Many thanks!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinklemon
1 Replies
Shell(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						Shell(3pm)

NAME
Shell - run shell commands transparently within perl SYNOPSIS
use Shell qw(cat ps cp); $passwd = cat('</etc/passwd'); @pslines = ps('-ww'), cp("/etc/passwd", "/tmp/passwd"); # object oriented my $sh = Shell->new; print $sh->ls('-l'); DESCRIPTION
Caveats This package is included as a show case, illustrating a few Perl features. It shouldn't be used for production programs. Although it does provide a simple interface for obtaining the standard output of arbitrary commands, there may be better ways of achieving what you need. Running shell commands while obtaining standard output can be done with the "qx/STRING/" operator, or by calling "open" with a filename expression that ends with "|", giving you the option to process one line at a time. If you don't need to process standard output at all, you might use "system" (in preference of doing a print with the collected standard output). Since Shell.pm and all of the aforementioned techniques use your system's shell to call some local command, none of them is portable across different systems. Note, however, that there are several built in functions and library packages providing portable implementations of functions operating on files, such as: "glob", "link" and "unlink", "mkdir" and "rmdir", "rename", "File::Compare", "File::Copy", "File::Find" etc. Using Shell.pm while importing "foo" creates a subroutine "foo" in the namespace of the importing package. Calling "foo" with arguments "arg1", "arg2",... results in a shell command "foo arg1 arg2...", where the function name and the arguments are joined with a blank. (See the subsection on Escaping magic characters.) Since the result is essentially a command line to be passed to the shell, your notion of arguments to the Perl function is not necessarily identical to what the shell treats as a command line token, to be passed as an individual argument to the program. Furthermore, note that this implies that "foo" is callable by file name only, which frequently depends on the setting of the program's environment. Creating a Shell object gives you the opportunity to call any command in the usual OO notation without requiring you to announce it in the "use Shell" statement. Don't assume any additional semantics being associated with a Shell object: in no way is it similar to a shell process with its environment or current working directory or any other setting. Escaping Magic Characters It is, in general, impossible to take care of quoting the shell's magic characters. For some obscure reason, however, Shell.pm quotes apostrophes ("'") and backslashes ("") on UNIX, and spaces and quotes (""") on Windows. Configuration If you set $Shell::capture_stderr to 1, the module will attempt to capture the standard error output of the process as well. This is done by adding "2>&1" to the command line, so don't try this on a system not supporting this redirection. Setting $Shell::capture_stderr to -1 will send standard error to the bit bucket (i.e., the equivalent of adding "2>/dev/null" to the command line). The same caveat regarding redirection applies. If you set $Shell::raw to true no quoting whatsoever is done. BUGS
Quoting should be off by default. It isn't possible to call shell built in commands, but it can be done by using a workaround, e.g. shell( '-c', 'set' ). Capturing standard error does not work on some systems (e.g. VMS). AUTHOR
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 94 16:18:16 -0700 Message-Id: <9409222318.AA17072@scalpel.netlabs.com> To: perl5-porters@isu.edu From: Larry Wall <lwall@scalpel.netlabs.com> Subject: a new module I just wrote Here's one that'll whack your mind a little out. #!/usr/bin/perl use Shell; $foo = echo("howdy", "<funny>", "world"); print $foo; $passwd = cat("</etc/passwd"); print $passwd; sub ps; print ps -ww; cp("/etc/passwd", "/etc/passwd.orig"); That's maybe too gonzo. It actually exports an AUTOLOAD to the current package (and uncovered a bug in Beta 3, by the way). Maybe the usual usage should be use Shell qw(echo cat ps cp); Larry Wall Changes by Jenda@Krynicky.cz and Dave Cottle <d.cottle@csc.canterbury.ac.nz>. Changes for OO syntax and bug fixes by Casey West <casey@geeknest.com>. $Shell::raw and pod rewrite by Wolfgang Laun. Rewritten to use closures rather than "eval "string"" by Adriano Ferreira. perl v5.12.5 2012-11-03 Shell(3pm)