Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Remove lines containing strings from a file Post 303044377 by RudiC on Thursday 20th of February 2020 05:55:27 AM
Old 02-20-2020
No -E necessary:

Code:
$ cat file
text4
text5
text11
file13
file15
text16

$ echo {text,file}{4..16}$'\n' | grep -vffile

EDIT: or, try
Code:
grep -v -etext4 -etext5 -etext11 -efile13 -efile15 -efile16

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the lines between 2 strings of a file

Hi, I have a sql file and i need to extract the table names used in the sql file using a unix script. If i can extract the lines between the keywords 'FROM' and 'WHERE' in the file, my job is done. can somebody tell me how to do this using a shell script. If u can just let me know, how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babloo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting no of lines between two strings in a file

Hi all, I'm very very new to UNIX and AWK world.Please help me in finding a solution for my problem. I'm having a file like this ----------------------------------------------------------------- ~Version Information VERS. 2.0: CWLS log ASCII Standard -VERSION 2.0 WRAP. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santyshyam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove matching lines with list of strings

Hi, HP-UX gxxxxxxxc B.11.23 U ia64 3717505098 unlimited-user license I have a file with below pipe separated field values: xxx|xxx|abcd|xxx|xxx|xx xxx|xxx|abcd#123|xxx|xxx|xx xxx|xxx|abcd#345|xxx|xxx|xx xxx|xxx|pqrs|xxx|xxx|xx xxx|xxx|pqrs#123|xxx|xxx|xx The third field has values like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nanu_Manju
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

different take on common ?: search for two strings and remove lines between them

Thank you for assisting, I've got a partial solution just needs a tweak. Hulk-BASH$ cat somefile.txt oh there is some stuff here some more stuff here START_LABEL stuff I want more stuff I want END_LABEL other stuff here too and even more stuff here too Hulk-BASH$ Hulk-BASH$ sed... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding strings to lines in a file

Hi all, I have a positional text file that comes from some source application. Before it is processed by destination application I have to add some header (suffix) to every record(line) in the file. e.g. Actual File ............... AccountDetails AcNO Name Amount 1234 John 26578 5678... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharath160
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file and remove special characters or strings

Hello all I am getting data like col1 | col2 | col3 asdafa | asdfasfa | asf*&^sgê 345./ |sdfasd23425^%^&^ | sdfsa23 êsfsfd | sf(* | sdfsasf My requirement is like I have to to read the file and remove all special characters and hex characters ranging form 00-1f from 1st column, remove %"'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove lines containing strings

Hi Guys, I need some script in removing lines containing strings like ",, ," and "rows". Retain only numbers as the output. See below for the input and output file. INPUT FILE: 9817 9832 6285 6312 6313 6318 ,, , 6329 7078 7098 7130 7959 7983 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinpe
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this <string name="string1">RZ-LED</string> <string name="string2">2.0</string> <string name="string2">Version 2.0</string> <string name="string3">BP</string> I would like to check for duplicate entries of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare one files with strings from another + remove lines

Have two files and want to compare the content of file1 with file2. When matched remove the line. awk 'NR==FNR {b; next} !(b in $0)' file1 file2file1 1. if match 2. removefile2 1. this line has to be removed if match 2. this line has a match, remove 3. this line has no match, no removingThe... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines containing 2 or more duplicate strings

Within my text file i have several thousand lines of text with some lines containing duplicate strings/words. I would like to entirely remove those lines which contain the duplicate strings. Eg; One and a Two Unix.com is the Best This as a Line Line Example duplicate sentence with the word... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
22 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)