Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? FYI: Stack Overflow... seems there's quite a revolt of sorts going on over there and everywhere. Post 303044324 by vbe on Wednesday 19th of February 2020 09:46:09 AM
Old 02-19-2020
Wow took me some time to read all... Thanks for your contribution Neo
This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

stack overflow in function psync_status Abort (core dumped)

I am running Open BSD 3.8 (3.5 upgrade) on a Pent Pro. 200, 64 Megs Ram, Nvedia Vanta TNT 16 Megs, Realtech 8139 Nic. When running ifconfig -a I get this error back. I've run searches on google no deal. I can get Stack overflow or psync, but not both. So I would really like to know how to fix it. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmcpreach
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

Problem with stack overflow

Hi, I get a problem with stack overflow on HP-UX, when running a C program. Pid 28737 received a SIGSEGV for stack growth failure. Possible causes: insufficient memory or swap space, or stack size exceeded maxssiz. The possible cause i found, was that the definition of a structure had... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikb23
0 Replies

3. AIX

IBM xlf "parser stack overflow" error

Hello, Does anybody know how to increase IBM xlf parser stack to get rid of the "parser stack overflow" error? Thanks Ping (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luop0812
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a script which sorts a file

I have a file below which has a list of users and roles with each row having unique combination of users and roles. USER1 ROLE1 USER1 ROLE2 USER2 USER3 ROLE1 USER3 ROLE2 USER3 ROLE3 USER4 ROLE2 .... .... I am trying to create a script which sorts the above file to have all the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
2 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Stack overflow i guess while insmod

I have built kernel 2.6.35 on my Ubuntu system with some specific requirement. I also built some app defined module with the same kernel. I booted up the built version and I find it did not work properly as there is some gui and other modules missing problem. But the system booted up and I did... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilsukumar4u
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

perform stack overflow

Help! I have an AIX system that has a power outage. When I logged in as root and got the system up and running it all looked ok. But.....when a user tries to log in they receive the error: The perform stack has overflowed OP=2117 PC=2124 E=46 in emmcshflif icrun is finished How can I fix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dlegnar
1 Replies

7. AIX

Poll of sorts - on LDAP

1) Do you use LDAP on AIX? (as a client) 2) If yes, what LDAP server technology do you use: a) IDS (or ITDS) - IBM Tivoli Directory Server b) AD c) openLDAP d) other - please list. I ask, because I am looking at openLDAP as well as IDS and am wondering if there is a clear preference I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MichaelFelt
4 Replies

8. Hardware

Stack Overflow Questions Tags Users Badges Unanswered Ask Question Ask for the explanation of types

I have read a document which tells me the following 4 things are done by the RAM embedded on disk driver controller. But I don't know what's difference between buffer and cache. Thanks! RAM on disk drive controllers 1 firmware 2 speed matching buffer 3 prefetching buffer 4 cache (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 915086731
1 Replies
ALLOCA(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 ALLOCA(3)

NAME
alloca - memory allocator SYNOPSIS
#include <alloca.h> void *alloca(size_t size); DESCRIPTION
The alloca function allocates size bytes of space in the stack frame of the caller. This temporary space is automatically freed when the function that called alloca returns to its caller. RETURN VALUE
The alloca function returns a pointer to the beginning of the allocated space. If the allocation causes stack overflow, program behaviour is undefined. CONFORMING TO
There is evidence that the alloca function appeared in 32v, pwb, pwb.2, 3bsd, and 4bsd. There is a man page for it in BSD 4.3. Linux uses the GNU version. This function is not in POSIX or SUSv3. NOTES ON THE GNU VERSION
Normally, gcc translates calls to alloca by inlined code. This is not done when either the -ansi or the -fno-builtin option is given. But beware! By default the glibc version of <stdlib.h> includes <alloca.h> and that contains the line # define alloca(size) __builtin_alloca (size) with messy consequences if one has a private version of this function. The fact that the code is inlined, means that it is impossible to take the address of this function, or to change its behaviour by linking with a different library. The inlined code often consists of a single instruction adjusting the stack pointer, and does not check for stack overflow. Thus, there is no NULL error return. BUGS
The alloca function is machine and compiler dependent. On many systems its implementation is buggy. Its use is discouraged. On many systems alloca cannot be used inside the list of arguments of a function call, because the stack space reserved by alloca would appear on the stack in the middle of the space for the function arguments. SEE ALSO
brk(2), pagesize(2), calloc(3), malloc(3), realloc(3) GNU
2002-07-17 ALLOCA(3)