Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers awk scripting to select a rectangle frame Post 303044199 by jeo_fb on Sunday 16th of February 2020 12:05:05 PM
Old 02-16-2020
Hi again,

I want to select lines in an imaginary rectangle frame whose corners are;

Code:
 Latitude Longitude
37.0000 36.5000
37.5000 36.5000
39.5000 41.0000
39.0000 41.0000
37.0000 36.5000

For example I do not want to line including;
39.0000 38.0000
Because it is not in the rectangle.

I hope I could explain my problem.
Thank you.
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment
Please use code tags when posting data and code samples!

Last edited by vgersh99; 02-16-2020 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED scripting select

Say I have a file 'example.txt' with these lines of code in it: hello:anddasd:cheese:gerg whatever:sdadsa:asdfasdfa:wwew hmmmm:something:gfhfhgf:sdasdas Question: 1. How would I write a script which is able to take all the words before the first ':'? 2. How would I write a script which is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: i_am_a_robot
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk - select from a list

Hi all, I am trying to select some columns from a file, based on the list of values. Would like to know how best I can achive this. If coulmn 1 has a value of 57 then print the ist column (This works) awk -F' ' '{if ( $1 == 57 ) {print $1}}' file.txt Now my requirement is that I have to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: simha77777
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQL Select and awk

Dear All , I have file1.txt contain values like the following: ---------- 23 24 25 and I have shell script which has the following : more file1.txt | awk '{print "select 'DUMP',CODE1||'|'||CODE2||'|'||CODE3 from CODE where CODE1='" $1 "';"}' > file2.sql all I need is to have the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing repeating lines from a data frame (AWK)

Hey Guys! I have written a code which combines lots of files into one big file(.csv). However, each of the original files had headers on the first line, and now that I've combined the files the headers are interspersed throughout the new combined data frame. For example, throughout the data... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: gd9629
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk with fields select?

If i have a log file record.txt, with 10 fields - First field is datetime - 7th field is status - 8th filed is name - The last field (10th) is epoch time of the first field 02/17/2012 1:47 PM||||||In Use|chicken||1329515230 02/17/2012 2:53 PM||||||Available|chicken||1329519195 02/17/2012... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : Search for text between two time frame (12 hours)

I have created the script to grep the errors from weblogic logs files and redirecting output to file.txt ...From file.txt I'm using awk command to collect the past 20 mins output...The script running from cron every 15 mins... The script working well... Now the challenges, I'm trying to use... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: zenkarthi
27 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : collecting all data between two time frame

Hi Experts , I need your help to collect the complete data between two time frame from the log files, when I try awk it's collecting the data only which is printed with time stamp for example, awk works well from "16:00 to 17:30" but its not collecting <line*> "from 17:30 to 18:00" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zenkarthi
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to select one field

Hi, I saw your post.. I have a dought in awk command... how to get the output from a file. i need a first column in etc/passwd file in a single column (in indivijual line)... i couldn't get with this command cat /etc/passwd | awk -F ":" '{printf $1}' Kindly help This thread was created... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dheepak s
3 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Rectangle is flickering while dragging on screen with xlib

Hi, this is my first post here. I wanto make a screencasting program. I want to make a screen part selection to grab coordinates of the screen location. I found a nice prototype #include <X11/Xlib.h> //#include <X11/Xresource.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> #include... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatnext
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting - Select multiple files from numbered list

I am trying to have the user select two files from a numbered list which will eventually be turned into a variable then combined. This is probably something simple and stupid that I am doing. clear echo "Please Select the Show interface status file" select FILE1 in *; echo "Please Select the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dis0wned
3 Replies
explain_select(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 explain_select(3)

NAME
explain_select - explain select(2) errors SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/select.h> #include <libexplain/select.h> const char *explain_select(int nfds, fd_set *readfds, fd_set *writefds, fd_set *exceptfds, struct timeval *timeout); const char *explain_errno_select(int errnum, int nfds, fd_set *readfds, fd_set *writefds, fd_set *exceptfds, struct timeval *timeout); void explain_message_select(char *message, int message_size, int nfds, fd_set *readfds, fd_set *writefds, fd_set *exceptfds, struct timeval *timeout); void explain_message_errno_select(char *message, int message_size, int errnum, int nfds, fd_set *readfds, fd_set *writefds, fd_set *exceptfds, struct timeval *timeout); DESCRIPTION
These functions may be used to obtain explanations for errors returned by the select(2) system call. explain_select const char *explain_select(int nfds, fd_set *readfds, fd_set *writefds, fd_set *exceptfds, struct timeval *timeout); The explain_select function is used to obtain an explanation of an error returned by the select(2) system call. The least the message will contain is the value of strerror(errno), but usually it will do much better, and indicate the underlying cause in more detail. The errno global variable will be used to obtain the error value to be decoded. This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: if (select(nfds, readfds, writefds, exceptfds, timeout) < 0) { fprintf(stderr, "%s ", explain_select(nfds, readfds, writefds, exceptfds, timeout)); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } nfds The original nfds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. readfds The original readfds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. writefds The original writefds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. exceptfds The original exceptfds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. timeout The original timeout, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. Returns: The message explaining the error. This message buffer is shared by all libexplain functions which do not supply a buffer in their argument list. This will be overwritten by the next call to any libexplain function which shares this buffer, including other threads. Note: This function is not thread safe, because it shares a return buffer across all threads, and many other functions in this library. explain_errno_select const char *explain_errno_select(int errnum, int nfds, fd_set *readfds, fd_set *writefds, fd_set *exceptfds, struct timeval *timeout); The explain_errno_select function is used to obtain an explanation of an error returned by the select(2) system call. The least the mes- sage will contain is the value of strerror(errnum), but usually it will do much better, and indicate the underlying cause in more detail. This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: if (select(nfds, readfds, writefds, exceptfds, timeout) < 0) { int err = errno; fprintf(stderr, "%s ", explain_errno_select(err, nfds, readfds, writefds, exceptfds, timeout)); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } errnum The error value to be decoded, usually obtained from the errno global variable just before this function is called. This is neces- sary if you need to call any code between the system call to be explained and this function, because many libc functions will alter the value of errno. nfds The original nfds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. readfds The original readfds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. writefds The original writefds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. exceptfds The original exceptfds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. timeout The original timeout, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. Returns: The message explaining the error. This message buffer is shared by all libexplain functions which do not supply a buffer in their argument list. This will be overwritten by the next call to any libexplain function which shares this buffer, including other threads. Note: This function is not thread safe, because it shares a return buffer across all threads, and many other functions in this library. explain_message_select void explain_message_select(char *message, int message_size, int nfds, fd_set *readfds, fd_set *writefds, fd_set *exceptfds, struct timeval *timeout); The explain_message_select function may be used to obtain an explanation of an error returned by the select(2) system call. The least the message will contain is the value of strerror(errno), but usually it will do much better, and indicate the underlying cause in more detail. The errno global variable will be used to obtain the error value to be decoded. This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: if (select(nfds, readfds, writefds, exceptfds, timeout) < 0) { char message[3000]; explain_message_select(message, sizeof(message), nfds, readfds, writefds, exceptfds, timeout); fprintf(stderr, "%s ", message); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } message The location in which to store the returned message. If a suitable message return buffer is supplied, this function is thread safe. message_size The size in bytes of the location in which to store the returned message. nfds The original nfds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. readfds The original readfds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. writefds The original writefds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. exceptfds The original exceptfds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. timeout The original timeout, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. explain_message_errno_select void explain_message_errno_select(char *message, int message_size, int errnum, int nfds, fd_set *readfds, fd_set *writefds, fd_set *exceptfds, struct timeval *timeout); The explain_message_errno_select function may be used to obtain an explanation of an error returned by the select(2) system call. The least the message will contain is the value of strerror(errnum), but usually it will do much better, and indicate the underlying cause in more detail. This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: if (select(nfds, readfds, writefds, exceptfds, timeout) < 0) { int err = errno; char message[3000]; explain_message_errno_select(message, sizeof(message), err, nfds, readfds, writefds, exceptfds, timeout); fprintf(stderr, "%s ", message); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } message The location in which to store the returned message. If a suitable message return buffer is supplied, this function is thread safe. message_size The size in bytes of the location in which to store the returned message. errnum The error value to be decoded, usually obtained from the errno global variable just before this function is called. This is neces- sary if you need to call any code between the system call to be explained and this function, because many libc functions will alter the value of errno. nfds The original nfds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. readfds The original readfds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. writefds The original writefds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. exceptfds The original exceptfds, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. timeout The original timeout, exactly as passed to the select(2) system call. SEE ALSO
select(2) blah blah explain_select_or_die(3) blah blah and report errors COPYRIGHT
libexplain version 0.52 Copyright (C) 2008 Peter Miller explain_select(3)