Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Underutilization of Linux memory Post 303044181 by Neo on Sunday 16th of February 2020 07:42:42 AM
Old 02-16-2020
And tomorrow, I will take this dedicated Ubuntu server, currently looks like this (runs MQTT, mysql, apache2 and a number of web sites, does backups, etc):

Code:
top - 06:40:25 up 35 days, 6 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.05, 0.12, 0.16
Tasks: 224 total,   1 running, 223 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  1.5 us,  0.9 sy,  0.0 ni, 97.5 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem : 32652952 total, 16986476 free,   694036 used, 14972440 buff/cache
KiB Swap:  7996412 total,  7996412 free,        0 used. 31071156 avail Mem 

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND                                                                                                           
  950 mysql     20   0 2749912 333616  19552 S   0.7  1.0 542:11.32 mysqld                                                                                                            
 8346 www-data  20   0  479644  32704  21104 S   0.7  0.1   0:00.02 apache2                                                                                                           
 8353 www-data  20   0  477684  24696  13064 S   0.7  0.1   0:00.02 apache2                                                                                                           
  901 www-data  20   0  343920  25120   2356 S   0.3  0.1  73:38.94 memcached                                                                                                         
 7461 www-data  20   0  477100  15708   4556 S   0.3  0.0   0:00.05 apache2                                                                                                           
 7607 www-data  20   0  477100  15708   4556 S   0.3  0.0   0:00.03 apache2                                                                                                           
 8205 www-data  20   0  477100  15708   4556 S   0.3  0.0   0:00.01 apache2                                                                                                           
    1 root      20   0  185144   5792   4040 S   0.0  0.0   2:55.18 systemd       

Will do the same... will turn off swap complete for a day and compare before and after.

In this manner, everyone can see two very different real-world, live Linux server examples of running with swap on and off; in both cases, there is plenty of memory. In fact, the server in this post (the dedicated server) shows zero swap being used even though the uptime is:

Code:
ubuntu# uptime
 06:44:46 up 35 days, 11 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.31, 0.22, 0.19

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

memory layout in C on linux

Hi, Does any one know what tool to use to visualize how is memory layed out for C on linux systems. I mean how much stack portion is used in functional call. Where exactly does the argument to function sit in memory ? I have written small program pasted below. But I am not able to infer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parasa
3 Replies

2. Programming

Determining free(available) memory in MV linux

HI I'm a rookie in C programming and I'm working in Monta Vista Linux. I have to write a program that displays free memory. I have memtester(allready written by someone else) and now I have to type how much amount of memory tester will test and I want that memtester finds out himself how much of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: trancedeejay
11 Replies

3. Red Hat

Linux memory usage

What's the best way to find out how much memory is being used/available? I tried using free, but I didn't quite understand the output. Can someone explain it? $ free total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 16304536 16256376 48160 0 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: junkmail426
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Memory managment - linux

Hi, I having problem with my linux machine it have 6Gb physical memory and somehow it always almost coming to the bottom neck and than it start writing to the swap memory you can see that there is more than 4G in cahce, is there any way to clean the cache or to limit it to 2Gb? host1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Igal Malka
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

share memory on linux

how to list the orphaned shared memory? how to kill them so that shared mem is free again. thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
9 Replies

6. Linux

Linux Memory Track

Hi All, We are using the linux servers and need to track the memory utilization of the box. Could anyone advice how the same can be achived. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: haitorajesh
1 Replies

7. Programming

Memory sniffing in linux

I am trying to create an application that will be able to sniff memory of other applications. I am not completely new to systems programming but I am not sure how to go about this task. I understand that accomplishing this mainly require these steps. 1: Get a list of processes 2: Find the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mosey
2 Replies

8. Linux

Memory Usage on Linux server

Hi , As I am new to Linux server, I am facing some doubts like: On linux server virtual memory usage goes to 99%, but I have Threshold limit of 95%. So it crossed the threshold limit and alarmd. Yesterday I moniterd the server using TOP command, and found some of Tibco process was consuming... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaywantmm
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

about shared memory space in Linux !

Dear Friends , I am confused about shared memory in Linux . plz look @ the below output : $ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda1 126G 61G 59G 52% / tmpfs 1.7G 0 1.7G 0% /dev/shm Here , I see that every time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shared memory in linux

Hello, I am using Linux os. $ df -k /dev/shm Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on tmpfs 2023256 1065000 958256 53% /dev/shm $ Based on my google this, it is shared memory. What is this shared memory and where exactly it is used? Can you... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
5 Replies
APACHE2(8)							      apache2								APACHE2(8)

NAME
apache2 - Apache Hypertext Transfer Protocol Server SYNOPSIS
apache2 [ -d serverroot ] [ -f config ] [ -C directive ] [ -c directive ] [ -D parameter ] [ -e level ] [ -E file ] [ -k start|restart|graceful|stop|graceful-stop ] [ -R directory ] [ -h ] [ -l ] [ -L ] [ -S ] [ -t ] [ -v ] [ -V ] [ -X ] [ -M ] SUMMARY
apache2 is the Apache HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) server program. It is designed to be run as a standalone daemon process. When used like this it will create a pool of child processes or threads to handle requests. In general, apache2 should not be invoked directly, but rather should be invoked via /etc/init.d/apache2 or apache2ctl. The default Debian configuration requires environment variables that are defined in /etc/apache2/envvars and are not available if apache2 is started directly. However, apache2ctl can be used to pass arbitrary arguments to apache2. DOCUMENTATION
The full documentation is available in the apache2-doc package or at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ . Information about Debian specific changes and configuration can be found in /usr/share/doc/apache2/README.Debian.gz . OPTIONS
-d serverroot Set the initial value for the ServerRoot directive to serverroot. This can be overridden by the ServerRoot directive in the configu- ration file. -f config Uses the directives in the file config on startup. If config does not begin with a /, then it is taken to be a path relative to the ServerRoot. The default is /etc/apache2/apache2.conf. -k start|restart|graceful|stop|graceful-stop Signals apache2 to start, restart, or stop. See Stopping Apache for more information. -C directive Process the configuration directive before reading config files. -c directive Process the configuration directive after reading config files. -D parameter Sets a configuration parameter which can be used with <IfDefine> sections in the configuration files to conditionally skip or process commands at server startup and restart. -e level Sets the LogLevel to level during server startup. This is useful for temporarily increasing the verbosity of the error messages to find problems during startup. -E file Send error messages during server startup to file. -R directory When the server is compiled using the SHARED_CORE rule, this specifies the directory for the shared object files. -h Output a short summary of available command line options. -l Output a list of modules compiled into the server. This will not list dynamically loaded modules included using the LoadModule directive. -L Output a list of directives together with expected arguments and places where the directive is valid. -M Dump a list of loaded Static and Shared Modules. -S Show the settings as parsed from the config file (currently only shows the virtualhost settings). -t Run syntax tests for configuration files only. The program immediately exits after these syntax parsing tests with either a return code of 0 (Syntax OK) or return code not equal to 0 (Syntax Error). If -D DUMP_VHOSTS is also set, details of the virtual host con- figuration will be printed. If -D DUMP_MODULES is set, all loaded modules will be printed. -v Print the version of apache2, and then exit. -V Print the version and build parameters of apache2, and then exit. -X Run apache2 in debug mode. Only one worker will be started and the server will not detach from the console. SEE ALSO
apache2ctl(8), /usr/share/doc/apache2/README.Debian.gz Apache HTTP Server 2008-04-05 APACHE2(8)