Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Nearly Random, Uncorrelated Server Load Average Spikes Post 303044134 by Neo on Friday 14th of February 2020 10:51:49 PM
Old 02-14-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by stomp
Glad you figured it out already.
Not yet.

Last night did not confirm the "rogue bots are the cause" .... hypothesis (see above post). Two more spikes, no correlation to increase bot number or network I/O. But I'm still looking into it Smilie

Regarding instrumentation, I prefer to build my own, like I have done with Node-RED and MQTT.

I like instrumentation which works for me; and not instrumentation designed by others. Believe me, I have used many "others" packages in the past, over decades.

Web based packages which run on the server we are observing start having problems when the server itself is having problems, so I do not use them.

That is why I use MQTT, so the only additional load requirement of the server when under stress is to publish a short message to the network (off platform). Installing packages on the same server being tested, especially web-based programs resident on servers being monitored which are primarily web servers, is not a good way to build instrumentation, in my view (so I don't do it and only recommend it in the most simple case).

MQTT is ideal for this kind of instrumentation. MQTT is free. MQTT is very easy to operate and maintain; and MQTT permits a wide-variety of ways to store data (on any node running MQTT in the network) and visualize the data (MQTT supported apps, anywhere on the network).

So, I do not have an instrumentation problem. The issue I have is trying to decide, based on evidence and strong correlation, what to monitor.

At the moment, I am testing apache2 mod pagespeed (have turned it off, temporarily). I may turn off XCache later (after the disable mod pagespeed test, and see if that changes things.

I am also very happy with Node-RED. In fact, I am extremely impressed with it.

Let me close with saying that I use MQTT and Node-RED by choice and do want want any other packages (I have used many of them over the decades). I really like MQTT and Node-RED. These tools fit my style and work great for me. For others, please use any instrumentation and monitor tools what work for you and / or supported by your organization.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

load average

we have an unix system which has load average normally about 20. but while i am running a particular unix batch which performs heavy operations on filesystem and database average load reduces to 15. how can we explain this situation? while running that batch idle cpu time is about %60-65... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Load Average

Hello all, I have a question about load averages. I've read the man pages for the uptime and w command for two or three different flavors of Unix (Red Hat, Tru64, Solaris). All of them agree that in the output of the 2 aforementioned commands, you are given the load average for the box, but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heathe_Kyle
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top - Load average

Hello, Here is the output of top command. My understanding here is, the load average 0.03 in last 1 min, 0.02 is in last 5 min, 0.00 is in last 15 min. By seeing this load average, When can we say that, the system load averge is too high? When can we say that, load average is medium/low??... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
8 Replies

4. Solaris

load average query.

Hi, i have installed solaris 10 on t-5120 sparc enterprise. I am little surprised to see load average of 2 or around on this OS. when checked with ps command following process is using highest CPU. looks like it is running for long time and does not want to stop, but I do not know... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please Help me in my load average

Hello AlL,.. I want from experts to help me as my load average is increased and i dont know where is the problem !! this is my top result : root@a4s # top top - 11:30:38 up 40 min, 1 user, load average: 3.06, 2.49, 4.66 Mem: 8168788k total, 2889596k used, 5279192k free, 47792k... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: black-code
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Load average in UNIX

Hi , I am using 48 CPU sunOS server at my work. The application has facility to check the current load average before starting a new process to control the load. Right now it is configured as 48. So it does mean that each CPU can take maximum one proces and no processe is waiting. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Load Average and Lwps

NPROC USERNAME SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 320 oracle 23G 22G 69% 582:55:11 85% 47 root 148M 101M 0.3% 99:29:40 0.3% 53 rafmsdb 38M 60M 0.2% 0:46:17 0.1% 1 smmsp 1296K 5440K 0.0% 0:00:08 0.0% 7 daemon ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snjksh
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Load average spikes once an hour

Hi, I am getting a high load average, around 7, once an hour. It last for about 4 minutes and makes things fairly unusable for this time. How do I find out what is using this. Looking at top the only thing running at the time is md5sum. I have looked at the crontab and there is nothing... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sm9ai
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with load average?

how load average is calculated and what exactly is it difference between cpu% and load average (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: robo
9 Replies

10. Programming

ESP32 (ESP-WROOM-32) as an MQTT Client Subscribed to Linux Server Load Average Messages

Here we go.... Preface: ..... so in a galaxy far, far, far away from commercial, data sharing corporations..... For this project, I used the ESP-WROOM-32 as an MQTT (publish / subscribe) client which receives Linux server "load averages" as messages published as MQTT pub/sub messages.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
6 Replies
MYSQL_FIX_PRIVILE(1)					       MySQL Database System					      MYSQL_FIX_PRIVILE(1)

NAME
mysql_fix_privilege_tables - upgrade MySQL system tables SYNOPSIS
mysql_fix_privilege_tables --password=root_password DESCRIPTION
Note In MySQL 5.1.7, mysql_fix_privilege_tables was superseded by mysql_upgrade, which should be used instead. See mysql_upgrade(1). Some releases of MySQL introduce changes to the structure of the system tables in the mysql database to add new privileges or support new features. When you update to a new version of MySQL, you should update your system tables as well to make sure that their structure is up to date. Otherwise, there might be capabilities that you cannot take advantage of. mysql_fix_privilege_tables is an older script that previously was used to uprade the system tables in the mysql database after a MySQL upgrade. Before running mysql_fix_privilege_tables, make a backup of your mysql database. On Unix or Unix-like systems, update the system tables by running the mysql_fix_privilege_tables script: shell> mysql_fix_privilege_tables You must run this script while the server is running. It attempts to connect to the server running on the local host as root. If your root account requires a password, indicate the password on the command line like this: shell> mysql_fix_privilege_tables --password=root_password The mysql_fix_privilege_tables script performs any actions necessary to convert your system tables to the current format. You might see some Duplicate column name warnings as it runs; you can ignore them. After running the script, stop the server and restart it so that any changes made to the system tables take effect. On Windows systems, MySQL distributions include a mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql SQL script that you can run using the mysql client. For example, if your MySQL installation is located at C:Program FilesMySQLMySQL Server 5.1, the commands look like this: C:> cd "C:Program FilesMySQLMySQL Server 5.1" C:> binmysql -u root -p mysql mysql> SOURCE share/mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql Note Prior to version 5.1.17, the mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql script is found in the scripts directory. The mysql command will prompt you for the root password; enter it when prompted. If your installation is located in some other directory, adjust the path names appropriately. As with the Unix procedure, you might see some Duplicate column name warnings as mysql processes the statements in the mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql script; you can ignore them. After running the script, stop the server and restart it. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2008 MySQL AB, 2008-2010 Sun Microsystems, Inc. This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License. This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/. SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/. AUTHOR
Sun Microsystems, Inc. (http://www.mysql.com/). MySQL 5.1 04/06/2010 MYSQL_FIX_PRIVILE(1)