Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users AIX sed use space as delimiter Post 303044131 by MadeInGermany on Friday 14th of February 2020 12:59:55 PM
Old 02-14-2020
In tr the number of characters in arg1 should match the number in arg2 - otherwise the behavior is not possible.
Convert directly to newline:
Code:
tr -s ' ,!' '\n\n\n' < filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace space with delimiter in whole file -perl

Hi I have a file which have say about 100,000 records.. the records in it look like Some kind of text 1234567891 abcd February 14, 2008 03:58:54 AM lmnop This is how it looks.. if u notice there is a 2byte space between each column.. and im planning to replace that with '|' .. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: meghana
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing space with pipe(delimiter)

Hello All, I have a file with thousands of records: eg: |000222|123456987|||||||AARONSON| JOHN P|||PRIMARY |P |000111|567894521|||||||ATHENS| WILLIAM k|||AAAA|L Expected: |000222|123456987|||||||AARONSON| JOHN |P|||PRIMARY |P |000111|567894521|||||||ATHENS| WILLIAM |k|||AAAA|L I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: OSD
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem Using Cut With A Space Delimiter

I am trying to extract 'postmaster' from the following string: PenaltyError:=554 5.7.1 Error, send your mail to postmaster@LOCALDOMAIN using the following command: cat /usr/share/assp/assp.cfg | grep ^PenaltyError:= | cut -d '@' -f1 | cut -f8 but it returns: PenaltyError:=554 5.7.1 Error,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleanden
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delimiter: Tab or Space?

Hello, Is there a direct command to check if the delimiter in your file is a tab or a space? And how can they be converted from one to another. Thanks, G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

comma delimiter and space

I have a csv file and there is a problem which I need to resolve. Column1,Column2,Colum3,Column4 ,x,y,z ,d,c,v t,l,m,n ,h,s,k ,k,,y z,j, ,p Now if you see column1 for row 1 and row 4 though they are null there is a space but in case of row2 and row 5 there is no space. I want row... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in extraction when space is a field delimiter

I have more than 1000 files to parse. Each file contains few lines (number of lines varies) followed by a header line having all column's name (SPOT, NAME etc) and then values for those columns. **Example File: sdgafh dfhaadfha sfgaf dhah jkthdj SPOT NAME GENE_NAME CH_MEAN CHDN_MED ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space as a delimiter

not sure if i'm doing this right i'm new tho this but i'm trying to use a space as a delimiter with the cut command my code is size=$( du -k -S -s /home/cmik | cut -d' ' -f1 ) i've also tried -f2 and switching the -d and -f around if that does anything (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cmik
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

using a another delimiter with sed?

Hi there, After lots of reading I figured out how to use sed to parse my file. This file is called services.txt: 00a1:ffff0000:0018:01f4:1:477 BravaNL 00a2:ffff0000:0018:01f4:1:471 MAX 00a3:ffff0000:000b:01f4:1:390 HaberTürk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MastaG
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need next line as a space delimiter in awk

Hi,Below is the output for p3fi_dev services 1/app/oracle> . ./oraprofile_p3fi_dev p3fi_dev_01 (P):/devoragridcn_01/app/oracle> srvctl config service -d p3fi_dev p3fi_p3fi_dev.world PREF: p3fi_dev_01 AVAIL: p3fi_dev_02 pplnet_p3fidev PREF: p3fi_dev_01 AVAIL: p3fi_dev_02 nexus_p3fidev PREF:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to use delimiter as : and space in awk

Hi , Please suggest me how do I use : (colon and one space) as a delimiter in awk Best regards, Vishal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies
fmlcut(1F)							   FMLI Commands							fmlcut(1F)

NAME
fmlcut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
fmlcut -clist [filename]... fmlcut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [filename]... DESCRIPTION
The fmlcut function cuts out columns from a table or fields from each line in filename; in database parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. fmlcut can be used as a filter; if filename is not specified or is -, the standard input is read. list specifies the fields to be selected. Fields can be fixed length (character positions) or variable length (separated by a field delimiter character), depending on whether -c or -f is specified. Note: Either the -c or the -f option must be specified. OPTIONS
list A comma-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indicate ranges. For example: 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field). -clist If -c is specified, list specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). Note: No space intervenes between -c and list. -flist If -f is specified, list is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by the default delimiter character, TAB, or by char if the -d option is specified. For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no delimiter charac- ters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. Note: No space intervenes between -f and list. The following options can be used if you have specified -f. -dchar If -d is specified, char is the field delimiter. Space or other characters with special meaning to FMLI must be quoted. Note: No space intervenes between -d and char . The default field delimiter is TAB. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters. If -s is not specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Getting login IDs and names The following example gets the login IDs and names. example% fmlcut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2 Getting the current login name The next example gets the current login name. example% `who am i | fmlcut -f1 -d" "` ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fmlgrep(1F), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
fmlcut returns the following exit values: 0 when the selected field is successfully cut out 2 on syntax errors The following error messages may be displayed on the FMLI message line: ERROR: line too long A line has more than 1023 characters or fields, or there is no new-line character. ERROR: bad list for c/f option Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list. No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list calls for. ERROR: no fields The list is empty. ERROR: no delimiter Missing char on -d option. NOTES
fmlcut cannot correctly process lines longer than 1023 characters, or lines with no newline character. SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 fmlcut(1F)