Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Move several files into specific directories with a loop Post 303044119 by SonnyClark on Friday 14th of February 2020 07:45:39 AM
Old 02-14-2020
Neo,
Thanks for the quick reply and the answer to your question is yes. I use the terminal for copying files with rsync.

For my posted question, however, I've been using the mouse on my mac to drag the files to the folders.

SonnyClark

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing for specific directories, and using the output to move files

Hello, this is probably another really simple tasks for most of you gurus, however I am trying to make a script which takes an input, greps a specific file for that input, prints back to screen the results (which are directory names) and then be able to use the directory names to move files.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to move files in a dir into different directories based on the filename

I want to move the files in a dir to different dirs based on their file names. Ex: i have 4 different files with name - CTS_NONE_10476031_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10633009_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt CTS_NONE_10345673_MRL_PFT20081215a.txt CTS_NONE_10872456_MRL_PFT20091020a.txt and the 1st... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with command to Move files by X number to seperate directories

Hello, I need help finding a script that will allow me to move files from one directory to another directory 10k files at a time. I have a directory that has 100 K files in it. I need to have those 100k files broken apart to separate directories each with 10k files in them. Here is the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geo_Bean
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop to move files in different directories

Hi, I have various log files in different paths. e.g. a/b/c/d/e/server.log a/b/c/d/f/server.log a/b/c/d/g/server.log a/b/c/h/e/server.log a/b/c/h/f/server.log a/b/c/h/g/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log a/b/c/i/e/server.log and above these have an archive folder... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: acc01
6 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Batch file to move video files and retain sub-directories

I have just purchased my first ever Apple computer - and am therefore new to UNIX also. I would like to create a simple "batch file" (apologies if this is the wrong terminology) to do the following: When I plug my camera into the MAC it automatically downloads photos and videos into a new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mm0mss
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively move directories along with files/specific files

I would like to transfer all files ending with .log from /tmp and to /tmp/archive (using find ) The directory structure looks like :- /tmp a.log b.log c.log /abcd d.log e.log When I tried the following command , it movies all the log files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move multipe files to corresponding directories

Hi, In a parent directory there are several files in the form IDENTIFIER1x IDENTIFIER1.yyy IDENTIFIER1_Z, etc IDENTIFIER2x IDENTIFIER2.yyy IDENTIFIER2_Z, etc IDENTIFIER3x IDENTIFIER3.yyy, IDENTIFIER3_Z, etcIn the same parent directory there are corresponding directories named... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: spirospap
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need BASH Script Help to Move Files While Creating Directories

I've got this script to loop through all folders and move files that are more than 2 years old. I'm using the install command because it creates the necessary directories on the destination path and then I remove the source. I'd like to change the script to use the mv command since it is much... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: consultant
4 Replies
Net::DNS::Question(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Net::DNS::Question(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::Question - DNS question record SYNOPSIS
use Net::DNS::Question; $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); DESCRIPTION
A Net::DNS::Question object represents a record in the question section of a DNS packet. METHODS
new $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10', 'PTR', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10'); Creates a question object from the domain, type, and class passed as arguments. One or both type and class arguments may be omitted and will assume the default values shown above. RFC4291 and RFC4632 IP address/prefix notation is supported for queries in both in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa namespaces. decode $question = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); ($question, $offset) = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); Decodes the question record at the specified location within a DNS wire-format packet. The first argument is a reference to the buffer containing the packet data. The second argument is the offset of the start of the question record. Returns a Net::DNS::Question object and the offset of the next location in the packet. An exception is raised if the object cannot be created (e.g., corrupt or insufficient data). encode $data = $question->encode( $offset, $hash ); Returns the Net::DNS::Question in binary format suitable for inclusion in a DNS packet buffer. The optional arguments are the offset within the packet data where the Net::DNS::Question is to be stored and a reference to a hash table used to index compressed names within the packet. name $name = $question->name; Internationalised domain name corresponding to the qname attribute. Decoding non-ASCII domain names is computationally expensive and undesirable for names which are likely to be used to construct further queries. When required to communicate with humans, the 'proper' domain name should be extracted from a query or reply packet. $query = new Net::DNS::Packet( $example, 'ANY' ); $reply = $resolver->send($query) or die; ($question) = $reply->question; $name = $question->name; qname, zname $qname = $question->qname; $zname = $question->zname; Canonical ASCII domain name as required for the query subject transmitted to a nameserver. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zname() and refers to the zone name. qtype, ztype $qtype = $question->qtype; $ztype = $question->ztype; Returns the question type attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as ztype() and refers to the zone type. qclass, zclass $qclass = $question->qclass; $zclass = $question->zclass; Returns the question class attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zclass() and refers to the zone class. print $object->print; Prints the record to the standard output. Calls the string() method to get the string representation. string print "string = ", $question->string, " "; Returns a string representation of the question record. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c)1997-2002 Michael Fuhr. Portions Copyright (c)2002-2004 Chris Reinhardt. Portions Copyright (c)2003,2006-2011 Dick Franks. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl, Net::DNS, Net::DNS::DomainName, Net::DNS::Packet, RFC 1035 Section 4.1.2 perl v5.16.3 2012-12-28 Net::DNS::Question(3)