Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Selecting text on multiple lines, then removing a beginning and end patterns Post 303043853 by Danette on Saturday 8th of February 2020 07:12:47 PM
Old 02-08-2020
I want to avoid changing the other lines with @ptpar and @ctpar.

Last edited by Danette; 02-08-2020 at 08:22 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing end of line to merge multiple lines

I'm sure this will be an easy question for you experts out there, but I have been searching the forum and working on this for a couple hours now and can't get it right. I have a very messy data file that I am trying to tidy up - one of the issues is some records are split into multiple lines: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tink
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing multiple lines of text in a file

Hi, I'm trying to remove multiple lines of text based off a series of different words and output it to a new file The document contains a ton of data but i want to delete any line that has the following mx1.rr.biz.com or ns2.ri.biz.com i tried using grep -v filename "mx1.rr.biz.com" >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartan22
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing file lines that each match to a different patterns

I have a very large file (10,000,000 lines), that contains a sample id and a property of that sample. I have another file that contains around 1,000,000 lines with sample ids that I want to remove from the original file (create a new file without these lines). I know how to do this in Perl, but it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jo_puzzled
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing trailing lines at the end of a text file

How do you remove trailing empty lines at the end of a text file? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to add text to beginning and end of each line

Well here goes: I tried to write a batch file that adds a specific fixed text to each line of an already existing text file. for the adding text infront of each line I tried this: for /F "delims=" %%j in (list.txt) do echo.STARTTEXT\%%j >> list.txt for adding text after each line I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing hyphen from beginning and end of a word only.

It is very simple to remove a hyphen from a word anywhere in that word using a simple sed command (sed -i 's/-//g' filename), but I am not able to figure out how to do this: For example, apple -orange tree pipe- banana-shake dupe- What my output should look like: apple orange tree... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add words in beginning , end after removing a word in a file

My file has the entries like below... /dev/sds /dev/sdak /dev/sdbc /dev/sdbu I want to make the file like below echo 1 > /sys/block/sds/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdak/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbc/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbu/device/rescan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing entire fields with specific text at end or beginning of field

Greetings. I've got a csv file with data along these lines: Spumoni's Pizza Place, Placemats n Things, Just Lamps Counterfeit Dollars by Vinnie, Just Shades, Dollar StoreI want to replace the entire comma-delimited field if it matches something ending in "Place" or beginning with "Dollar",... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: palmfrond
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Removing characters from beginning of multiple files

Hi, I have been searching how to do this but I can't seem to find how to do it. Hopefully someone can help. I have multiplr files, 100's example 12345-zxys.213423.zyz.txt. I want to be able to take all these files and remove the first '12345-' from each of the files. '12345-' these characters... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: israr75
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print lines from a files with specific start and end patterns and pick only the last lines?

Hi, I need to print lines which are matching with start pattern "SELECT" and END PATTERN ";" and only select the last "select" statement including the ";" . I have attached sample input file and the desired input should be as: INPUT FORMAT: SELECT ABCD, DEFGH, DFGHJ, JKLMN, AXCVB,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
5 Replies
fmt(1)								   User Commands							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - simple text formatters SYNOPSIS
fmt [-cs] [-w width | -width] [inputfile...] DESCRIPTION
fmt is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the -w width option. The default width is 72. fmt concatenates the inputfiles listed as arguments. If none are given, fmt formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. fmt does not fill nor split lines beginning with a `.' (dot), for compatibility with nroff(1). Nor does it fill or split a set of contiguous non-blank lines which is determined to be a mail header, the first line of which must begin with "From". Indentation is preserved in the output, and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless -c is used). fmt can also be used as an in-line text filter for vi(1). The vi command: !}fmt reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. OPTIONS
-c Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph, and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. -s Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such formatted text, from being unduly combined. -w width | -width Fill output lines to up to width columns. OPERANDS
inputfile Input file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for a description of the LC_CTYPE environment variable that affects the execution of fmt. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The -width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SunOS 5.10 9 May 1997 fmt(1)