Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell script to check a command executed sucessfully or not Post 303043775 by rbatte1 on Thursday 6th of February 2020 05:20:02 AM
Old 02-06-2020
Can you show us how you tried to redirect the output?

Please wrap your commands and the output in CODE tags. To do this, you can simply highlight your text that is code or data and then click on the </> in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags [code] and [/code] by hand.)

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem executed shell command from PL/SQL

i wrote plsql procedure that executed shell command using java class my problem is that in some reason the shell command ( liks Is -l , mv ... ) are not recordnize can someone help me with that 10x Alodvg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alodvg
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - why is the shell script executed before the print command?

i'm writing some simple scripts to help me learn perl. why does the print command get called after the shell script is executed? the purpose of the shell script is to simply echo to the screen "script run". which is does, but before the print command, you can clearly see the shell script is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Verifying if the shell command executed or not?

Hi, I am working on a shell script that would verify if the mount command has executed or not. So , i have been doing this. mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom echo "$?" if ; then echo " Mount succesful" else echo " Mount unsuccessful" fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script not getting executed

Hi As per my requirement when I run . ./file.sh am getting the following error -bash:ELF: command not found when i execute as ./file.sh it is getting executed.How to resolve this. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pracheth
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send keyboard inputs toa UNIX command executed from a shell script?

I have a unix command that prompts for 'y'. How do I run this from my shell script? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set Command to output a log of every command executed in the script

Hi Guys, I like to output every command executed in the script to a file. I have tried set -x which does the same. But it is not giving the logs of the child script which is being called from my script. Is there any parameters in the Set command or someother way where i can see the log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check/get the exit status of a remote command executed on remote host through script

Geeks, Could you please help me out in my script and identify the missing piece. I need to check/get the exit status of a remote command executed on remote host through script and send out an email when process/processes is/are not running on any/all server(s). Here's the complete... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command not getting executed in shell script

I am able to execute awk command from shell prompt. but the same command is not getting executed when written and run in a bash script the command from bash cmd prompt. awk '/world/{for (i=2; i<NF; i++) printf $i " "; print $NF}1' myfile >tmp$$ ; mv tmp$$ myfile file: # hello world my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check if the JAVA Program is successfully executed in sh shell scripting

Hi , I have written a shell script to call a java program say load_id.sh .This sh script indeed is executed implicitly in other sh script which calls 2 more sh scripts one by one. I need to check if the load_id.sh (which calls java program) is executed successfully only then continue with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: preema
1 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)