Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Control cursor position also at bottom of window Post 303043702 by wisecracker on Tuesday 4th of February 2020 11:32:04 AM
Old 02-04-2020
I did quote early on in this thread that some terminals do not respond correctly to some terminal escape codes. Some of those escape codes will not work at all.

So in the first part the outside parentheses create an array in advanced shells like bash so therefore longhand:
Code:
Last login: Tue Feb  4 16:17:10 on ttys000
AMIGA:amiga~> term_size=($( stty size ))
AMIGA:amiga~> 
AMIGA:amiga~> printf "%b\n" "${term_size[0]}"
AMIGA:amiga~> 
AMIGA:amiga~> printf "%b\n" "${term_size[1]}"
AMIGA:amiga~> _

As for the second 'printf' line, changing the values 24 and 80 to say 30 and 120 will expand the terminal size on certain terminals, (xterm as an exmaple), to that size for the duration of that terminal session. Of course calling it again with 24 and 80 restores it back to the original.
IF and a big if, it doesn't work then many of those terminal commands in the URLs won't work either.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the cursor position

Hello, Is there a way to get the current cursor position? I know "tput sc" saves it. Is there a way to find out the value saved? Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestbuyernc
0 Replies

2. Programming

Cursor Global Position

Hello all, How can i get the global position of the cursor? (i'm using c language, and suse 10.1 linux) Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: boogy
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Command to know the terminal cursor position

Dear all, How can i get the current cursor position..is thr any command to find the same? Thanks in Advance Aneesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneesha
3 Replies

4. Programming

get terminal width and cursor position

I want to get the screen width and cursor positions. When I used curses, all the screen content was cleared. So Can I use curses to get the screen size without clearing anything in the window? Or is there any other alternative??? I can use only C or C++. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejesh.S
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing cursor position using shell script

Hi, Pleae help me on this. Normally, when we say read username, the cursor will come in the first position of next line, but I want the output of the below Normal usage ------------- please enter username: _ I want like the below ---------------------- please enter username: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balamv
2 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

read position mouse cursor

Hi to all! I'm a teacher of maths and physics in an italian high school in Milan, Italy. I need a simple program that read the position of mouse cursor in function of time and write the coordinates in a text file. The time resolution have to be something like 1/10 sec or better (I have to know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris75
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cursor position

Is there a way of finding the current cursor position (line & column) within AIX (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - moving cursor position

hi all, am trying to modify a ksh script to group server names together depending on the cluster they sit in. currently the script does a find . -name '*.pid' to find all running servers and prints out their pids and names. current output looks something like this : serverA ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the cursor position

I need to get the cursor position, and put it inside a variable. Problem is, i don't have the tput command, or ncurses. Apparently I was supposed to try the following: echo -e '\E But I don't get a value or anything. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinman47
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Holding cursor position on one line

Hi there. It's easier to explain this with a pseudo code, I hope this makes sense: var1=hello echo $var1 some kind of loop echo loop counter done How do I hold the cursor position immediately behind the last output so I'd get something like: hello123456789 DOS used to use ","... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuntyScrunt
5 Replies
talk(1) 							   User Commands							   talk(1)

NAME
talk - talk to another user SYNOPSIS
talk address [terminal] DESCRIPTION
The talk utility is a two-way, screen-oriented communication program. When first invoked, talk sends a message similar to: Message from TalkDaemon@ her_machine at time ... talk: connection requested by your_address talk: respond with: talk your_address to the specified address. At this point, the recipient of the message can reply by typing: talk your_address Once communication is established, the two parties can type simultaneously, with their output displayed in separate regions of the screen. Characters are processed as follows: o Typing the alert character will alert the recipient's terminal. o Typing Control-L will cause the sender's screen regions to be refreshed. o Typing the erase and kill characters will affect the sender's terminal in the manner described by the termios(3C) interface. o Typing the interrupt or end-of-file (EOF) characters will terminate the local talk utility. Once the talk session has been terminated on one side, the other side of the talk session will be notified that the talk session has been terminated and will be able to do nothing except exit. o Typing characters from LC_CTYPE classifications print or space will cause those characters to be sent to the recipient's terminal. o When and only when the stty iexten local mode is enabled, additional special control characters and multi-byte or single-byte charac- ters are processed as printable characters if their wide character equivalents are printable. o Typing other non-printable characters will cause them to be written to the recipient's terminal as follows: control characters will appear as a caret (^) followed by the appropriate ASCII character, and characters with the high-order bit set will appear in "meta" notation. For example, `03' is displayed as `^C' and `372' as `M-z'. Permission to be a recipient of a talk message can be denied or granted by use of the mesg(1) utility. However, a user's privilege may fur- ther constrain the domain of accessibility of other users' terminals. Certain commands, such as pr(1), disallow messages in order to pre- vent interference with their output. talk will fail when the user lacks the appropriate privileges to perform the requested action. Certain block-mode terminals do not have all the capabilities necessary to support the simultaneous exchange of messages required for talk. When this type of exchange cannot be supported on such terminals, the implementation may support an exchange with reduced levels of simul- taneous interaction or it may report an error describing the terminal-related deficiency. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: address The recipient of the talk session. One form of address is the username, as returned by the who(1) utility. If you wish to talk to someone on your own machine, then username is just the person's login name. If you wish to talk to a user on another host, then username is one of the following forms: host!user host.user host:user user@host although user@host is perhaps preferred. terminal If the recipient is logged in more than once, terminal can be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name. If terminal is not specified, the talk message will be displayed on one or more accessible terminals in use by the recipient. The for- mat of terminal will be the same as that returned by who. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of talk: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. TERM Determine the name of the invoker's terminal type. If this variable is unset or null, an unspecified terminal type will be used. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred, or talk was invoked on a terminal incapable of supporting it. FILES
/etc/hosts host name database /var/adm/utmpx user and accounting information for talk ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmds | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mail(1), mesg(1), pr(1), stty(1), who(1), write(1), termios(3C), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
Typing Control-L redraws the screen, while the erase, kill, and word kill characters will work in talk as normal. To exit, type an inter- rupt character. talk then moves the cursor to the bottom of the screen and restores the terminal to its previous state. SunOS 5.10 6 Nov 2000 talk(1)