Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Home Questions Tags Users Unanswered Windows 2016 DNS server returns SERVFAIL for non-existing doma Post 303043665 by broy32000 on Monday 3rd of February 2020 09:59:52 AM
Old 02-03-2020
Just asking for another help, if you can. I was analysing my DNS traffic using tcpdump (not verbose mode) in a AIX client. I found that a lot of repeat of transaction IDs over matter of hours. Is it expected?

Code:
22:39:52.301965 IP 192.168.1.119.56880 > 192.168.1.126.53: 49968+ A? shavar.services.mozilla.com. (45)

Last edited by vbe; 02-04-2020 at 04:29 AM.. Reason: code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp server on old home computer - a few questions

Hi! Very new to unix stuff, and this is my first post to the forum. I'm pretty sure I know enough to know I know nothing, so please be patient with me and don't laugh too hard. Ok, I've got an old computer and a laptop - the old computer was bought in the mid 90's it's still running windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boredbody
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Install Windows 2003 R2 on existing Windows 2008

Hi, I am trying to install WIndows 2003 R2 Server on existing Windows 2008 server. When I run the 2003 cd it says no disk found. What can be the problem. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gunnervarma
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dlsym() returns 0 for an existing function

Sometimes I observe this in gdb: (gdb) br my_function Breakpoint .. at 0x...: file ..., line ... i.e., "my_function" does exist in the current executable. however, dlsym does not find it: (gdb) p dlsym(0,"my_function") $6 = 0 This is a C program; dlsym does find other defined functions and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sds
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Yahoo Interview unanswered questions

Hi guys, please help me get the answers of these questions which I faced in an interview @ Yahoo 1. I want to " ls " few million files, certainly I cannot do so because ls has some restriction in KBs, how can I do it alternatively. 2. Change the system in such a way that while booting up,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravsharma29
2 Replies

6. IP Networking

DNS: Dig returns different responses...

Hey everyone, Okay, so I've been having some fun with the dig command, and wanted to dig my old school. Two questions came up from this. So I: dig @8.8.8.8 +recurse njcu.edu ANY and the result is about 8 records, including the SOA record. One of them is this weird TXT record, and the other is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
1 Replies

7. Hardware

Stack Overflow Questions Tags Users Badges Unanswered Ask Question Ask for the explanation of types

I have read a document which tells me the following 4 things are done by the RAM embedded on disk driver controller. But I don't know what's difference between buffer and cache. Thanks! RAM on disk drive controllers 1 firmware 2 speed matching buffer 3 prefetching buffer 4 cache (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 915086731
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Tilde prefix returns invalid home directory.

I am trying to find the home directory of users on a UNIX (Solaris/AIX) box using echo ~usernameThis does return the home directory for all valid users. For some reason this command also outputs home directory which are non-existent for few users who seem not to have logon access to that... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinkster
31 Replies

9. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies
FINDSMB(1)							   User Commands							FINDSMB(1)

NAME
findsmb - list info about machines that respond to SMB name queries on a subnet SYNOPSIS
findsmb [subnet broadcast address] DESCRIPTION
This perl script is part of the samba(7) suite. findsmb is a perl script that prints out several pieces of information about machines on a subnet that respond to SMB name query requests. It uses nmblookup(1) and smbclient(1) to obtain this information. OPTIONS
-r Controls whether findsmb takes bugs in Windows95 into account when trying to find a Netbios name registered of the remote machine. This option is disabled by default because it is specific to Windows 95 and Windows 95 machines only. If set, nmblookup(1) will be called with -B option. subnet broadcast address Without this option, findsmb will probe the subnet of the machine where findsmb(1) is run. This value is passed to nmblookup(1) as part of the -B option. EXAMPLES
The output of findsmb lists the following information for all machines that respond to the initial nmblookup for any name: IP address, NetBIOS name, Workgroup name, operating system, and SMB server version. There will be a '+' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are local master browsers for that workgroup. There will be an '*' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are the domain master browser for that workgroup. Machines that are running Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95 or Windows 98 will not show any information about the operating system or server version. The command with -r option must be run on a system without nmbd(8) running. If nmbd is running on the system, you will only get the IP address and the DNS name of the machine. To get proper responses from Windows 95 and Windows 98 machines, the command must be run as root and with -r option on a machine without nmbd running. For example, running findsmb without -r option set would yield output similar to the following IP ADDR NETBIOS NAME WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION --------------------------------------------------------------------- 192.168.35.10 MINESET-TEST1 [DMVENGR] 192.168.35.55 LINUXBOX *[MYGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.6] 192.168.35.56 HERBNT2 [HERB-NT] 192.168.35.63 GANDALF [MVENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.5a for IRIX] 192.168.35.65 SAUNA [WORKGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 1.9.18p10] 192.168.35.71 FROGSTAR [ENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.0 for IRIX] 192.168.35.78 HERBDHCP1 +[HERB] 192.168.35.88 SCNT2 +[MVENGR] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] 192.168.35.93 FROGSTAR-PC [MVENGR] [Windows 5.0] [Windows 2000 LAN Manager] 192.168.35.97 HERBNT1 *[HERB-NT] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
nmbd(8), smbclient(1), and nmblookup(1) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 FINDSMB(1)