Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Home Questions Tags Users Unanswered Windows 2016 DNS server returns SERVFAIL for non-existing doma Post 303043612 by MadeInGermany on Sunday 2nd of February 2020 05:31:36 AM
Old 02-02-2020
That's a secret that nobody could solve in over a decade. Why do Windows DNS servers return SERVFAIL rather than NXDOMAIN?
IMHO a severe bug. Effectively it disables the caching of an unsuccessful host lookup; makes a performance difference, especially with a thousand DNS clients that run buggy software. But the customer insisted on Windows DNS.
Perhaps somebody here has a solution by chance. Otherwise this is a question for a Windows forum...
Okay, a mitigation I can offer: have the non-Windows nameserver first in /etc/resolv. conf

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 02-02-2020 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: typo
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp server on old home computer - a few questions

Hi! Very new to unix stuff, and this is my first post to the forum. I'm pretty sure I know enough to know I know nothing, so please be patient with me and don't laugh too hard. Ok, I've got an old computer and a laptop - the old computer was bought in the mid 90's it's still running windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boredbody
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Install Windows 2003 R2 on existing Windows 2008

Hi, I am trying to install WIndows 2003 R2 Server on existing Windows 2008 server. When I run the 2003 cd it says no disk found. What can be the problem. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gunnervarma
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dlsym() returns 0 for an existing function

Sometimes I observe this in gdb: (gdb) br my_function Breakpoint .. at 0x...: file ..., line ... i.e., "my_function" does exist in the current executable. however, dlsym does not find it: (gdb) p dlsym(0,"my_function") $6 = 0 This is a C program; dlsym does find other defined functions and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sds
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Yahoo Interview unanswered questions

Hi guys, please help me get the answers of these questions which I faced in an interview @ Yahoo 1. I want to " ls " few million files, certainly I cannot do so because ls has some restriction in KBs, how can I do it alternatively. 2. Change the system in such a way that while booting up,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauravsharma29
2 Replies

6. IP Networking

DNS: Dig returns different responses...

Hey everyone, Okay, so I've been having some fun with the dig command, and wanted to dig my old school. Two questions came up from this. So I: dig @8.8.8.8 +recurse njcu.edu ANY and the result is about 8 records, including the SOA record. One of them is this weird TXT record, and the other is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
1 Replies

7. Hardware

Stack Overflow Questions Tags Users Badges Unanswered Ask Question Ask for the explanation of types

I have read a document which tells me the following 4 things are done by the RAM embedded on disk driver controller. But I don't know what's difference between buffer and cache. Thanks! RAM on disk drive controllers 1 firmware 2 speed matching buffer 3 prefetching buffer 4 cache (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 915086731
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Tilde prefix returns invalid home directory.

I am trying to find the home directory of users on a UNIX (Solaris/AIX) box using echo ~usernameThis does return the home directory for all valid users. For some reason this command also outputs home directory which are non-existent for few users who seem not to have logon access to that... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinkster
31 Replies

9. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies
Net::DNS::Nameserver(3) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Net::DNS::Nameserver(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::Nameserver - DNS server class SYNOPSIS
"use Net::DNS::Nameserver;" DESCRIPTION
Instances of the "Net::DNS::Nameserver" class represent simple DNS server objects. See "EXAMPLE" for an example. METHODS
new my $ns = Net::DNS::Nameserver->new( LocalAddr => "10.1.2.3", LocalPort => "5353", ReplyHandler => &reply_handler, Verbose => 1 ); Creates a nameserver object. Attributes are: LocalAddr IP address on which to listen. Defaults to INADDR_ANY. LocalPort Port on which to listen. Defaults to 53. ReplyHandler Reference to reply-handling subroutine. Required. Verbose Print info about received queries. Defaults to 0 (off). The ReplyHandler subroutine is passed the query name, query class, and query type. It must return the response code and references to the answer, authority, and additional sections of the response. Common response codes are: NOERROR No error FORMERR Format error SERVFAIL Server failure NXDOMAIN Non-existent domain (name doesn't exist) NOTIMP Not implemented REFUSED Query refused See RFC 1035 and the IANA dns-parameters file for more information: ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc1035.txt http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/dns-parameters The nameserver will listen for both UDP and TCP connections. On Unix-like systems, the program will probably have to run as root to listen on the default port, 53. A non-privileged user should be able to listen on ports 1024 and higher. Returns a Net::DNS::Nameserver object, or undef if the object couldn't be created. See "EXAMPLE" for an example. main_loop $ns->main_loop; Start accepting queries. EXAMPLE
The following example will listen on port 5353 and respond to all queries for A records with the IP address 10.1.2.3. All other queries will be answered with NXDOMAIN. Authority and additional sections are left empty. #!/usr/bin/perl -Tw use Net::DNS; use strict; sub reply_handler { my ($qname, $qclass, $qtype) = @_; my ($rcode, @ans, @auth, @add); if ($qtype eq "A") { my ($ttl, $rdata) = (3600, "10.1.2.3"); push @ans, Net::DNS::RR->new("$qname $ttl $qclass $qtype $rdata"); $rcode = "NOERROR"; } else { $rcode = "NXDOMAIN"; } return ($rcode, @ans, @auth, @add); } my $ns = Net::DNS::Nameserver->new( LocalPort => 5353, ReplyHandler => &reply_handler, Verbose => 1 ); if ($ns) { $ns->main_loop; } else { die "couldn't create nameserver object "; } BUGS
Net::DNS::Nameserver objects can handle only one query at a time. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2000-2002 Michael Fuhr. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl(1), Net::DNS, Net::DNS::Resolver, Net::DNS::Packet, Net::DNS::Update, Net::DNS::Header, Net::DNS::Question, Net::DNS::RR, RFC 1035 perl v5.8.0 2002-05-31 Net::DNS::Nameserver(3)