Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Using read to assign value to bash variable not working Post 303043606 by sand1234 on Sunday 2nd of February 2020 12:05:18 AM
Old 02-02-2020
Hi Chubler_XL,

Appreciate the clarification.

What is the purpose of two "<" ? Does it mean that each value from awk will be assigned to the bash variable, with whitespace as delimiter?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign value to variable is not working

Hi :) The next script campares two files File1-Line1 vs File2-Line1, File1-Line1 vs File2-Line2... only if line contains "AS-", if LineX is not in File2 writes in aux, but "valor" is allways=1 never changes! :confused: What is wrong? valor changes to 0 before break, after brake is again 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: agustincm
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Read a config file and Assign to Variable

I have removeConfig file, it contains the dir paths for removing. I need to read line by line and assign to variable. any idea? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and assign each character from the string to a variable

How... can I read input by a user character by cahracter. And assign each character from the string to a variable? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tek-E
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign bash command to variable

Hi I am trying to write a function that needs to be able to assign the last run shell command to a variable. The actual command string itself not the exit code of the command. I am using the bash command recall ability to do this as follows: alias pb='ps | grep ash' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file and assign the values to a variable

i have a file in this format curyymm PRVYYMM CDDMmmYY bddMmmyy eddMmmyy --------- ------- ------------ ---------- ----------- 0906 0905 09Jun09 01Jun09 30Jun09 ----------- --------- ------------ ------------ ----------- i need to read the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: depakjan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the csv file and assign the values in to variable

I have a csv file with the values seperated by commas.I want to extract these values one by one and assign to a variable using shell script.Any ideas or code? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajbal
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write script read file and assign it as variable?

Hi all, I want write a csh script which must be able: 1.read a file 2.assign value in file as variable and can i use read in csh script? thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proghack
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash assign string to variable

Hi ,I am trying to assign string to variable ,but it doesn't work Also could you show me different ways to use grep,(I am trying to get the first,second and first column form file,and I am counting the chars) let name=`grep "$id" product | cut -c6-20` (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: lio123
25 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to read a text file and assign the values in the same to a variable in loop

Hi, I have a text file with multiple lines, each having data in the below format <DOB>,<ADDRESS> I have to write a script which reads each line in the text file in loop, assign the values to these variables and do some further processing in it. Using the following code prints the values... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishab00
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do While Loop + Read From File + assign line to a variable

Hello, I am using below code for reading from a file and assigning the values to a variable , but it is loosing the value after the loop , please suggest to retain the value of the variable after the loop , while IFS=: read -r line do set $dsc=$line echo 'printing line variable ' $line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ParthThakkar
1 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux