Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to pull multiple XML tags from the same XML file in Shell.? Post 303043564 by hungryd on Friday 31st of January 2020 01:09:30 PM
Old 01-31-2020
Thank you Nezabudka. This is great AND includes the line breaks. I wasn't seeing those with some of the other XML parsing tool options I'd experimented with in shell including:

Code:
xmllint  --xpath "//SeriesName" file.xml

Thank you

--- Post updated at 11:09 AM ---

Can you please just explain to me the meaning/syntax of the
Code:
RS='<'

call you've placed in the larger line of code? That I've not seen before and would like to know more. Thank you again, Nezabudka.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove xml namespace from xml file using shell script?

I have an xml file: <AutoData xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <Table1> <Data1 10 </Data1> <Data2 20 </Data2> <Data3 40 </Data3> <Table1> </AutoData> and I have to remove the portion xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" only. I tried using sed... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary1978
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to pull a variable out of an xml file...

Hello. I'm new to *ix and am trying to pull a variable or two from an xml document. The document is in the format: <name>7_3(A).mov</name> <description>Some description from a file</description> <updatename>7_3_A.mov</updatename> <updatepath>Dailies Released</updatepath> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renfield
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add the multiple lines of xml tags before a particular xml tag in a file

Hi All, I'm stuck with adding multiple lines(irrespective of line number) to a file before a particular xml tag. Please help me. <A>testing_Location</A> <value>LA</value> <zone>US</zone> <B>Region</B> <value>Russia</value> <zone>Washington</zone> <C>Country</C>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required in Splitting a xml file into multiple and appending it in another .xml file

HI All, I have to split a xml file into multiple xml files and append it in another .xml file. for example below is a sample xml and using shell script i have to split it into three xml files and append all the three xmls in a .xml file. Can some one help plz. eg: <?xml version="1.0"?>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesan kulasek
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Command to compare two xml lines while ignoring xml tags

I've got two different files and want to compare them. File 1 : HTML Code: <response ticketId="944" type="getQueryResults"><status>COMPLETE</status><description>Query results fetched successfully</description><recordSet totalCount="1" type="sms_records"><record... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shaishav Shah
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add Xml tags to an existing xml using shell or awk?

Hi , I have a below xml: <ns:Body> <ns:result> <Date Month="June" Day="Monday:/> </ns:result> </ns:Body> i have a lookup abc.txtt text file with below details Month June July August Day Monday Tuesday Wednesday I need a output xml with below tags <ns:Body> <ns:result>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nevergivup
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell command need to parse multiple nested tag value of a XML file

I have this XML file - <gp> <mms>1110012</mms> <tg>988</tg> <mm>LongTime</mm> <lv> <lkid>StartEle=ONE, Desti = Motion</lkid> <kk>12</kk> </lv> <lv> <lkid>StartEle=ONE, Source = Velocity</lkid> <kk>2</kk> </lv> <lv> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedASolution
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split xml file into multiple xml based on letterID

Hi All, We need to split a large xml into multiple valid xml with same header(2lines) and footer(last line) for N number of letterId. In the example below we have first 2 lines as header and last line as footer.(They need to be in each split xml file) Header: <?xml version="1.0"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a single xml file into multiple xml files

Hi, I'm having a xml file with multiple xml header. so i want to split the file into multiple files. Sample.xml consists multiple headers so how can we split these multiple headers into multiple files in unix. eg : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <ml:individual... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narendra921631
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grepping multiple XML tag results from XML file.

I want to write a one line script that outputs the result of multiple xml tags from a XML file. For example I have a XML file which has below XML tags in the file: <EMAIL>***</EMAIL> <CUSTOMER_ID>****</CUSTOMER_ID> <BRANDID>***</BRANDID> Now I want to grep the values of all these specified... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubh752
1 Replies
SAX::PurePerl(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  SAX::PurePerl(3)

NAME
XML::SAX::PurePerl - Pure Perl XML Parser with SAX2 interface SYNOPSIS
use XML::Handler::Foo; use XML::SAX::PurePerl; my $handler = XML::Handler::Foo->new(); my $parser = XML::SAX::PurePerl->new(Handler => $handler); $parser->parse_uri("myfile.xml"); DESCRIPTION
This module implements an XML parser in pure perl. It is written around the upcoming perl 5.8's unicode support and support for multiple document encodings (using the PerlIO layer), however it has been ported to work with ASCII/UTF8 documents under lower perl versions. The SAX2 API is described in detail at http://sourceforge.net/projects/perl-xml/, in the CVS archive, under libxml-perl/docs. Hopefully those documents will be in a better location soon. Please refer to the SAX2 documentation for how to use this module - it is merely a front end to SAX2, and implements nothing that is not in that spec (or at least tries not to - please email me if you find errors in this implementation). BUGS
XML::SAX::PurePerl is slow. Very slow. I suggest you use something else in fact. However it is great as a fallback parser for XML::SAX, where the user might not be able to install an XS based parser or C library. Currently lots, probably. At the moment the weakest area is parsing DOCTYPE declarations, though the code is in place to start doing this. Also parsing parameter entity references is causing me much confusion, since it's not exactly what I would call trivial, or well documented in the XML grammar. XML documents with internal subsets are likely to fail. I am however trying to work towards full conformance using the Oasis test suite. AUTHOR
Matt Sergeant, matt@sergeant.org. Copyright 2001. Please report all bugs to the Perl-XML mailing list at perl-xml@listserv.activestate.com. LICENSE
This is free software. You may use it or redistribute it under the same terms as Perl 5.7.2 itself. perl v5.12.1 2008-08-05 SAX::PurePerl(3)