Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to sort files in directory numerically? Post 303043478 by jgt on Wednesday 29th of January 2020 11:49:42 AM
Old 01-29-2020
Code:
t(){
for file in $(ls *.bk*)
do
    n=$(echo $file |cut -dk -f3)
    echo $n $file
done
} 
l()
{
while read a b
do
    echo $b
done
}
t |sort -n|l

This User Gave Thanks to jgt For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

loop through the directory for files and sort by date and process the first file

hello i have a requirement where i have a direcotry in which i get files in the format STOCKS.20080114.dat STOCKS.20080115.dat STOCKS.20080117.dat STOCKS.20080118.dat i need to loop through the directory and sort by create date descending order and i need to process the first file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort all files in a directory retaining originals

Hi, I need to sort all the files in a directory whilst retaining the originals. So if in the directory I have: File1 File2 File3 I want to sort these files so that I would have: File1 File1.sort File2 File2.sort File3 File3.sort where I have added the .sort extension to show... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ledgie
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort file alphabetically AND numerically

Hi all. I have 2 files like this: f1 A 10 B 80 C 9 f2 A 11 B 700 C 10 What I want is the concatenation of the two files sorted by name (alphabetically) and size (numerically), so the result should be like this: F3 (cat f1 f2 sorted) A 10 A 11 B 80 B 700 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort a set of files by date in a directory?

hi there, I have a directory which contents I can parse dynamically. I end up with a file list. I then want to display those files sorted by date, oldest files first. I have very very little PERL experience...Would anyone know how to do that ? Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexf
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numerically sort problem for a long list of file name

I got a long list of file name. My input: data_1.txt data_2.txt data_3.txt data_10.txt data_21.txt data_12.txt data_4.txt My desired output: data_1.txt data_2.txt data_3.txt data_4.txt data_10.txt data_12.txt data_21.txt Does anybody got idea how to archive it? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort 2 columns numerically

Hi, A basic query. In the example file below, I want to sort by column 1 and then by column 2 numerically. I have tried sort -k2n,1 file1 but while this sorts the columns in the correct order, it does not sort column 2 numerically. Any help would be much appreciated. Also, if you have time to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: auburn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort numerically a non numerical

Hello, I have this sample data: 01 * * * * 01 * * * * 01 * * * * 01 * * * * 01 0 * * * 01 0 * * * 01 0 * * * 01 0 * * * 02 * * * 0 02 * * * 0 02 * * * 6 02 * * * 6 02 0 * * 1 02 0 * * 1 02 0 * * 2 02 0 * * 2 02 0 * * 3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort alphabetically, then numerically

Greetings - I'm not necessarily new to bash scripting - I'm probably between beginner and intermediate, but I have something that I just cannot figure out after many attempts to find it. I have a file that is merely a list of many files, with their respective paths, and a branch path (ClearCase)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1cor29
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting tmp files of SORT into different directory

Hey Guys, I am facing an annoying scenario, fewer times when I execute the sort command, it throws out on error saying that "No Space on available on /var/tmp/<temp file name>. May be it is set to /var/tmp directory. I was wondering, if I cant redirect the temporary file creation to any other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Reverse the order of a list of file names (but not sort them alphabetically or numerically)

Hello all, I have a list of file names in a text document where each file name consists of 4 letters and 3 numbers (for example MACR119). There are 48 file names in the document (they are not in alphabetical or numerical order). I would like to reorder the list of names so that the 48th name is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDeBiasse
3 Replies
DROPLANG(1)						  PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation					       DROPLANG(1)

NAME
droplang - remove a PostgreSQL procedural language SYNOPSIS
droplang [connection-option...] langname [dbname] droplang [connection-option...] --list | -l [dbname] DESCRIPTION
droplang is a utility for removing an existing procedural language from a PostgreSQL database. droplang is just a wrapper around the DROP EXTENSION (DROP_EXTENSION(7)) SQL command. Caution droplang is deprecated and may be removed in a future PostgreSQL release. Direct use of the DROP EXTENSION command is recommended instead. OPTIONS
droplang accepts the following command line arguments: langname Specifies the name of the procedural language to be removed. (This name is lower-cased.) [-d] dbname, [--dbname=]dbname Specifies from which database the language should be removed. The default is to use the database with the same name as the current system user. -e, --echo Display SQL commands as they are executed. -l, --list Show a list of already installed languages in the target database. -V, --version Print the droplang version and exit. -?, --help Show help about droplang command line arguments, and exit. droplang also accepts the following command line arguments for connection parameters: -h host, --host=host Specifies the host name of the machine on which the server is running. If host begins with a slash, it is used as the directory for the Unix domain socket. -p port, --port=port Specifies the Internet TCP/IP port or local Unix domain socket file extension on which the server is listening for connections. -U username, --username=username User name to connect as. -w, --no-password Never issue a password prompt. If the server requires password authentication and a password is not available by other means such as a .pgpass file, the connection attempt will fail. This option can be useful in batch jobs and scripts where no user is present to enter a password. -W, --password Force droplang to prompt for a password before connecting to a database. This option is never essential, since droplang will automatically prompt for a password if the server demands password authentication. However, droplang will waste a connection attempt finding out that the server wants a password. In some cases it is worth typing -W to avoid the extra connection attempt. ENVIRONMENT
PGDATABASE, PGHOST, PGPORT, PGUSER Default connection parameters This utility, like most other PostgreSQL utilities, also uses the environment variables supported by libpq (see Section 31.14, "Environment Variables", in the documentation). DIAGNOSTICS
Most error messages are self-explanatory. If not, run droplang with the --echo option and see under the respective SQL command for details. Also, any default connection settings and environment variables used by the libpq front-end library will apply. NOTES
Use createlang(1) to add a language. EXAMPLES
To remove the language pltcl: $ droplang pltcl dbname SEE ALSO
createlang(1), DROP EXTENSION (DROP_EXTENSION(7)), DROP LANGUAGE (DROP_LANGUAGE(7)) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 DROPLANG(1)