Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk Script
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers awk Script Post 303043461 by RudiC on Wednesday 29th of January 2020 06:52:28 AM
Old 01-29-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgjmpt
@RudiC

I am new to this forum, Still finding my way around the rules for posting in this forum, Apologizes for the formatting errors i have done.

No need to apologize, and it's not about formatting / posting rules either, although adhering to them is highly welcomed. Help people help you by creating a decent, detailed, in depth specification that doesn't leave questions nor uncertainties open.

Quote:
In reference to your Post-3

- how to select / reject the devices (e.g. 172.17.168.227 is missing in your desired output)?
All devices have to accepted my output may have omitted the device while formatting

- how to fill items not yet found when encountering the print trigger ("System Name:")?
If the item is not found it can be set as null

- why not use "System Description" as the print trigger?
By mistake i guess i pasted the version of the script which i was working on , Print trigger was actually should be "System Description"

- why <TAB> chars in your desired output, not the commas set as OFS in your script?
I copied from the output from excel and tried to format it to paste in the forum, The Formatting got messed up.
Please look back into all your posts in this thread so far. I admit there may be a language barrier (I'm not a native speaker, either), but: They're incomplete, unstructured, messed up (sic), and contain mistakes (sic). How should someone start decent analysis or programming based on what's given? Everything given so far is based on guesswork and doomed to fail on your real request.

EDIT:
BTW, if the input data is as unstructured as you attached it, it might be wiser to look for a different approach... Show the process you use from the beginning.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a shell script that calls another script and and an awk script

Hi guys I have a shell script that executes sql statemets and sends the output to a file.the script takes in parameters executes sql and sends the result to an output file. #!/bin/sh echo " $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 isql -w400 -U$2 -S$5 -P$3 << xxx use $4 go print"**Changes to the table... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magikminox
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to pass parameters to awk script from shell script

Hello, I have this awk script that I want to execute by passing parameters through a shell script. I'm a little confused. This awk script removes duplicates from an input file. Ok, so I have a .sh file called rem_dups.sh #!/usr/bin/sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call shell script function from awk script

hi everyone i am trying to do this bash> cat abc.sh deepak() { echo Deepak } deepak bash>./abc.sh Deepak so it is giving me write simply i created a func and it worked now i modified it like this way bash> cat abc.sh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: How to convert this bash+awk script in awk script only?

This is the final first release of the dynamic menu generator for pekwm (WM). #!/bin/bash function param_val { awk "/^${1}=/{gsub(/^${1}="'/,""); print; exit}' $2 } echo "Dynamic {" for CF in `ls -c1 /usr/share/applications/*.desktop` do name=$(param_val Name $CF) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexscript
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling shell script within awk script throws error

I am getting the following error while passing parameter to a shell script called within awk script. Any idea what's causing this issue and how to ix it ? Thanks sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `newline' sh: -c: line 0: `./billdatecalc.sh ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudhakar333
10 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unable to pass shell script parameter value to awk command in side the same script

Variable I have in my shell script diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk -F'~' ''$2 == "$id"' {print $0}' > $new I could see value of $id is not passing to the awk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing shell script parameter value to awk command in side the script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sarita Behera
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to call another script based on second column entry

Hi I have a text file (Input.txt) with two column entries separated by tab as given below: aaa str1 bbb str2 cccccc str3 dddd str4 eee str3 ssss str2 sdf str3 hhh str1 fff str2 ccc str3 ..... ..... ..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to call and sort awk script and output

I'm trying to create a shell script that takes a awk script that I wrote and a filename as an argument. I was able to get that done but I'm having trouble figuring out how to keep the header of the output at the top but sort the rest of the rows alphabetically. This is what I have now but it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies
evmpost(1)						      General Commands Manual							evmpost(1)

NAME
evmpost - post events to the EVM daemon SYNOPSIS
msg priority]] | [filename| DESCRIPTION
The command takes a file or stream of text event sources as input and converts them to binary EVM events. By default, the command then posts them to the EVM daemon for distribution. If the option is specified, writes the EVM events to its stream instead of posting them to the daemon. By default, attempts to retrieve event template information from the EVM daemon and merges the template items and environmental items such as and into the output events. If the option is used, the output events contain only the items specified in the source. An event source may contain any number of events. Each event is specified in the manner shown. See the EvmEvent(5) manpage for a more detailed explanation. The command recognizes the following data items in an event source: o o o o o o o o o o All EVM variable types may be specified except for Refer to EvmEvent(5) for details on data items and variables. In the event source, each keyword must be accompanied by a corresponding value. The value must be enclosed in double quotes ("") if it contains white space. The data item keywords that are specified outside the event body are taken as global values. The data item keywords are included in each of the following events which do not have an explicit value defined for that keyword. Comments are indicated by a leading character. Blank lines are ignored. The command builds an EVM event containing the items that are explicitly specified in the source. If the event is posted or if the option is specified without additional environmental items such as the and template items are inserted into the event automatically. The rules for posting an event are more stringent than those for an event simply to exist. Therefore, may display an error when trying to post an an event that cannot be posted, even though the same source is accepted when using the option. For example, do not post an event if it does not contain a name with at least three components because the daemon rejects it. However, such an event can exist, and can create it and pass it to The following example fails because it does not contain a name: The following example is successful, even though it does not display any useful information: The option can verify event source and template files by piping the output into See evmshow(1). Options Does not post the events, but instead passes them directly to as raw EVM events. An error occurs if is directed to a terminal device. When used with the option, causes event template items and environmental values to be merged with the items included in the source. This is the default mode. When used with the option, inhibits the merging of template items and environmental values. Posts an administrator's quick message event with the name and the string msg in a variable data item. If a message contains spaces, the message must be enclosed in quotation marks (""). The event is used to add a message entry in the event log. This option may be used only by privileged users. Posts a user's quick message event with the name and the string msg in a variable data item. If a message contains spaces, the message must be enclosed in quotation marks (""). The event is used to add a message entry in the event log. Assigns priority as the for an administrator's or user's quick message. The priority value must be an integer in the range 0-700. If the priority is not specified, the default of 200 is used. Operands filename Read event sources from filename. If filename is omitted, or is specified as event sources are read from RETURN VALUES
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
o The following example posts an event, provided that a template file containing an event with a matching name has been registered with the EVM daemon. o The following example interprets an event template file, and displays a dump of the contents of each event. Environmental items, such as a timestamp, are not merged into the event. This command checks the syntax and contents of the file. o The following example shows how is used in a shell script to signal completion of some operation: o The following example must be run as to post an administrator's message event. o The following example posts a quick user's message. o This example posts an event that includes a variable. If the template for this event contains the following format data item: then displays this event as: WARNINGS
The command rejects attempts to output raw events to a terminal device. Post only events for which you have posting authorization, and for which a template exists. FILES
Definition of the sockets and protocols used for Internet services Location of the EVM authorization file SEE ALSO
Commands evmget(1), evminfo(1), evmshow(1), evmsort(1), evmwatch(1). Routines EvmEventPost(3). Files evmdaemon.conf(4), evmtemplate(4), services(4). Event Management EVM(5). EVM Events EvmEvent(5). evmpost(1)