Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Changing hosting company for one domain, how to deal with DNS? Post 303043349 by solaris_1977 on Saturday 25th of January 2020 03:40:52 PM
Old 01-25-2020
Changing hosting company for one domain, how to deal with DNS?

Hello,

Our organization is planning to move one domain from Dreamhost to Hubspot. Lets say, it is gem.xyxyxyxyx.com. Please note, website is not being migrated from one server to another, it is just hosting company.

Here is from our internal DNS master server -
Code:
[root@ext-dns-ns1 ~]# cat /var/named/master/db.xyxyxyxyx.com | grep gem
gem                     IN      NS      ns1.dreamhost.com.
gem                     IN      NS      ns2.dreamhost.com.
gem                     IN      NS      ns3.dreamhost.com.
gem                     IN      A       69.163.167.103
www.gem                 IN      CNAME   gem
[root@ext-dns-ns1 ~]#

And this is root domain A record -
Code:
[root@ext-dns-ns1 ~]# cat /var/named/master/db.xyxyxyxyx.com | grep 69.163.164.199
                        IN      A       69.163.164.199
www                     IN      A       69.163.164.199
[root@ext-dns-ns1 ~]#

Ideally, (I assume) when we move hosting agency, we get new IP and replace 69.163.167.103 and 69.163.164.199 with the IPs they will give.

But here twist is, HubSpot is only able to host content for subdomains using CNAME records. They provide a CNAME address that can be used (the associated IP address is dynamic and will not be static for security purposes). But our DNS records, both hosted as A records, at present.
HubSpot is unable to offer IP addresses for use with A records. They replied "We usually rely on the redirection services that DNS providers sometimes offer, but in the event that the DNS provider does not have a means of redirecting the root domain to the subdomain, we typically recommend a third party redirection service. I'd suggest setting up an account with Redirect.pizza".

If I go by suggestion from HubSpot, I guess I need to make below change -
Code:
temp-test-site.xyxyxyxyx.com IN A ip-provided-by-redirect-pizza

And configure this name at RedirectPizza to look to, for example, xyxyxyxyx.com site. Then remove below records :
Code:
gem IN NS ns1.dreamhost.com.
gem IN NS ns2.dreamhost.com.
gem IN NS ns3.dreamhost.com.

From the main zone xyxyxyxyx.com and define these names like that:
Code:
gem IN CNAME new-hubspot-cname-for-gem.
www.gem IN CNAME gem

I have two concerns/questions is :
- For an enterprise-level DNS, will it not be difficult to trust on a free service website (https://redirect.pizza)? What if the website shuts down, my all sub-domains can break, right? Any I explore any other option rather than redirect.pizza?

- Can there be any interruption on website gem.xyxyxyxyx.com during these IPs/CNAMES are being populated?

Please suggest.

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

So, like, I signed on with a new hosting company...

... and there was absolutely nothing installed except fedora and ssh. I used yum to install vsftp and httpd, both start and ps shows they're running, and yet I can't connect with either of them. Where on earth or in redhat do I begin looking to unravel this one? I've overseen a server before but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bobby
3 Replies

2. Solaris

change dns (domain name)

hi gurus, need to check other than the hosts file, what else i need to change after we have changed the domain name in our company. currently, we are using olddnsname.com and will change it to newdnsname.com. i am not sure where else in solaris i need to take a look. please advise. thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kim_custodio
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Select DNS Servers depending on the domain

Hello, I'm using CentOS 5.3, and I connect to a VPN in order to work. The problem is that I'm constantly accessing things on the local network and the remote network. But once I'm connected to the VPN I can't access local addresses by name, I have to use the ip-address. What I'd like is to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: martincastell
4 Replies

4. Linux

Configuring dns in local domain

Hi everybody, for revolving local host name of my network, I set up an dns server to solve my problem, but til now, nothing happen when I ping a hostname, but work on IP. Can you help me to correct the configuration. Here is all my settings: Voici mes fichiers de configuration: -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beloge2002
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recommended Domain/Hosting Control Panels?

Looking for a recommendation - I'm looking for a reliable domain control panel (like cPanel) that is open source, and I can customize it do work into my work flow. Essentially, I need new users to be able to create a new account so that a) a new subdomain is created, or b) a full domain... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kettlewell
0 Replies

6. IP Networking

changing domain name in /etc

Hi, Im trying to change my domain name in my solaris as below: but it keeps coming back to be "unknown" Im changing /etc/inet/hosts.e1000g0\and also i added one line to /etc/nodename my vm (i have my solaris on VM)ip address is 192.168.1.103 and Im putting solar as a name for it ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to flush specific domain in SunOS 5 DNS

Hello to all, May you help saying me how to flush a specific domain in Linux SunOS5 I know the command rndc is to flush DNS cache, but I would like to know: 1- How to do a flush only on specific domain 2- How to see the content of DNS Resolver cache (similar to info given by IPCONFIG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
2 Replies

8. Linux

Domain registrars & DNS servers

I have read many tutorials on bind and i understand the A,MX, CNAME records. Internally, on a LAN we can install bind and create all these records and we can tell all PC and servers to use this bind as DNS server.that's fine. On the Internet, when we have purchased a valid domain like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux is not appending domain name in DNS query

In my /etc/resolv.conf file there is domain name defined. But when I do nslookup the domain name is not appended. Why? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: broy32000
18 Replies