Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users One of the two DNS server going down causes impacts Post 303043098 by zxmaus on Saturday 18th of January 2020 03:38:53 AM
Old 01-18-2020
all of the above - and you can as well add the option
options rotate
into your /etc/resolv.conf - which enables your box to use all nameservers, not just the first.

Last edited by zxmaus; 01-18-2020 at 04:49 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to zxmaus For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Impacts on Timezone changes

I'm running on UNIX with Solaris. I need to change the Timezone on the box and was going to make the changes to the files and then reboot the box. Someone warned me that this method should not be used and that a util (unconfig.sys I think it was) should be used to make the changes. Any ideas... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lextar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dns server

Hi all, I need to know step by step procedure to configure and to test a dns server on redhatlinux 7.2. thanks and reg, bache gowda (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS Server help

Hi, I would like to create an internal webpage for my company that would only be viewable when connected to the VPN or internal network. I want a webpage like newsite.company.com. Is there a way to do this. We obviously already have www.company.com, but how would I go about creating the newsite.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ejbrever
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setup a DNS server for my redhat server

Using Redhat Linux Enterprise AS 4 can someone teach me how to setup a dns server for my webserver? i've registered a domainname at mydomain.com but when i type in the domain i register i cannot enter to my webserver. someone told me that it is related with the DNS setting on my server. i've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixiang88
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

Impacts on upgrading the aCC compiler in HP-UX

Hi, We are currently using the aCC 3.13 compiler in HP-UX 11.0 but we need to upgrade the aCC compiler version from aCC 3.13 to aCC3.31. 1. Is there any major impact of update the compiler? 2. What are the major things we need to make sure before updating the compiler? Can any one guide... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gyanusoni
2 Replies

7. AIX

Impacts of emptying /var/adm/wtmp file ?

In our operating procedures, if a workstation has a space problem in the /var filesystem, one of the most frequent case we were told is the size of the /var/adm/wtmp file. Someone once told me it is dangerous to do this. Is it ? I cannot say for certain that whomever wrote that procedure is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

9. Solaris

DNS Server help

Hi Team, I need to find the clients which are being served by the DNS server in our environment. The approach currently i am having is to look for the DNS server IP in nameserver IP in the /etc/resolv.conf file in all the servers in our environment. Do we have any command(s) which gives... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishalaswani
1 Replies

10. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies
RDNSSD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 RDNSSD(8)

NAME
rdnssd - IPv6 Recursive DNS Server discovery Daemon SYNOPSIS
rdnssd [-f] [-H merge-hook] [-r resolv-file] [-p pidfile] [-u username] DESCRIPTON
rdnssd is a daemon program providing client-side support for DNS configuration using the Recursive DNS Server (RDNSS) option, as described in RFC 5006. Its purpose is to supply IPv6 DNS resolvers through stateless autoconfiguration, carried by Router Advertisements. rdnssd parses RDNSS options and keeps track of resolvers to write nameservers entries to a resolv.conf(5) configuration file. By default, it writes its own separate file, and may call an external hook to merge it with the main /etc/resolv.conf. This is aimed at easing coexis- tence with concurrent daemons, especially IPv4 ones, updating /etc/resolv.conf too. On Linux, since version 2.6.24, rdnssd takes advantage of a new netlink interface, forwarding RDNSS options validated by the kernel to userland. Otherwise, it merely listens to all ICMPv6 traffic through a raw socket. OPTIONS
-f or --foreground Do not detach from the console. Run the program in the foreground. -H merge-hook or --merge-hook merge-hook Execute this hook whenever resolv.conf is updated. If this option is not specified, then no hook will be called. -h or --help Display some help and exit. -p pidfile or --pidfile pidfile Override the location of the pidfile. -r resolv-file or --resolv-file resolv-file Set the path to the generated resolv.conf file. -u username or --user username Override the user that the program will run as. By default, it runs as nobody. -V or --version Display program version and license and exit. FILES
/etc/rdnssd/merge-hook A basic merge hook shipped with rdnssd, to be called with the -H option. /var/run/rdnssd/resolv.conf The default resolv.conf(5) file that rdnssd writes its configuration to. /var/run/rdnssd.pid The process-id file. BUGS
rdnssd does not keep track of the lifetimes of the routers associated with some DNS resolvers, whereas it should to strictly comply with RFC 5006. When rdnssd uses a raw socket instead of the netlink kernel interface, it does not validate received Neighbor Discovery traffic in any way. For example, it will always consider Router Advertisement packets, whereas it should not if the host is configured as a router. When the netlink interface is used, such validation is done by the kernel. SEE ALSO
resolv.conf(5), rdisc6(8), ipv6(7) AUTHOR
Pierre Ynard <linkfanel at yahoo.fr> $Id: rdnssd.8-in 575 2007-12-29 21:55:43Z linkfanel $ http://www.remlab.net/ndisc6/ rdnssd $Date: 2007-12-29 23:55:43 +0200 (Sat, 29 Dec 2007) $ RDNSSD(8)