Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users One of the two DNS server going down causes impacts Post 303043091 by broy32000 on Saturday 18th of January 2020 01:22:43 AM
Old 01-18-2020
Hi Neo,
First level failure: The CPU DNS server (Windows DC) spiked. This DNS server appears as the 2nd server in /etc/resolv.conf file.
Second (result of the 1st): Application servers were unable to connect to DB server. Logs reported --unable to find DB connection stream

When we reproduced the situation (kept 2nd DNS server down), the application server was unable to connect to DB server. But "nslookup <host> " worked

--- Post updated at 07:22 AM ---

Neo,
Also please note that fixing the root cause (CPU spike or death of one DNS server) is not what I want. I want to solve the fact that resiliency did not work-- why app servers were unable to connect while only DNS server out of two was down.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Impacts on Timezone changes

I'm running on UNIX with Solaris. I need to change the Timezone on the box and was going to make the changes to the files and then reboot the box. Someone warned me that this method should not be used and that a util (unconfig.sys I think it was) should be used to make the changes. Any ideas... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lextar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dns server

Hi all, I need to know step by step procedure to configure and to test a dns server on redhatlinux 7.2. thanks and reg, bache gowda (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS Server help

Hi, I would like to create an internal webpage for my company that would only be viewable when connected to the VPN or internal network. I want a webpage like newsite.company.com. Is there a way to do this. We obviously already have www.company.com, but how would I go about creating the newsite.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ejbrever
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setup a DNS server for my redhat server

Using Redhat Linux Enterprise AS 4 can someone teach me how to setup a dns server for my webserver? i've registered a domainname at mydomain.com but when i type in the domain i register i cannot enter to my webserver. someone told me that it is related with the DNS setting on my server. i've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixiang88
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

Impacts on upgrading the aCC compiler in HP-UX

Hi, We are currently using the aCC 3.13 compiler in HP-UX 11.0 but we need to upgrade the aCC compiler version from aCC 3.13 to aCC3.31. 1. Is there any major impact of update the compiler? 2. What are the major things we need to make sure before updating the compiler? Can any one guide... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gyanusoni
2 Replies

7. AIX

Impacts of emptying /var/adm/wtmp file ?

In our operating procedures, if a workstation has a space problem in the /var filesystem, one of the most frequent case we were told is the size of the /var/adm/wtmp file. Someone once told me it is dangerous to do this. Is it ? I cannot say for certain that whomever wrote that procedure is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

9. Solaris

DNS Server help

Hi Team, I need to find the clients which are being served by the DNS server in our environment. The approach currently i am having is to look for the DNS server IP in nameserver IP in the /etc/resolv.conf file in all the servers in our environment. Do we have any command(s) which gives... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishalaswani
1 Replies

10. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies
smtpdcheck(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3						     smtpdcheck(1)

NAME
smtpdcheck - check SMTP servers SYNOPSIS
smtpdcheck [--stop {ip-addr|name}] [--timeout seconds] [prio:]server [[prio:]server] DESCRIPTION
smtpdcheck checks to see if SMTP servers are available. The intent is for use on secondary mail servers, which have no reason to accept mail when the primary server is available. The argument consists of a list of server names, each of which may optionally be prefixed by a numeric MX priority and a colon. (This is exactly the format for MX records returned by the avenger dns command.) smtpdcheck will attempt to connect to each server in succession. If one of the servers specified on the command line is available, smtpdcheck will print its name to standard output and exit with status 1. If smtpdcheck cannot connect to any of the servers, it will exit with status 0. If a system error occurs, smtpdcheck will exit with status 2. OPTIONS --stop {ip-addr|name} Tells smtpdcheck to stop before checking a server with IP address ip-addr or hostname name. If such a host is encountered in the list of servers and prio is specified, then smtpdcheck will consider it acceptable for other servers with the same priority to be available, even if those servers were first in the list. In other words, given the following arguments: smtpdcheck --stop s2.domain.com 10:s1.domain.com 10:s2.domain.com 20:s3.domain.com This command will always succeed, regardless of whether "s1.domain.com" is up, because "s2.domain.com" has the same priority. On the other hand, the following command will fail and output "s1.domain.com" if "s1.domain.com" is up: smtpdcheck --stop s2.domain.com 10:s1.domain.com 20:s2.domain.com 30:s3.domain.com If a gethostbyname lookup for the argument name fails, smtpdcheck will exit immediately with status 2. --timeout {seconds] By default, smtpdcheck spends 10 seconds probing each server. This includes the time to do a DNS lookup, to establish a TCP connection to port 25 of the server, and to read the "220" SMTP code from the server's SMTP greeting message. To use a different value, specify it with the --timeout option. The value 0 disables the timeout completely, which is dangerous since smtpdcheck might then end up waiting forever to read the "220" string. EXAMPLES
To refuse to relay mail at a secondary MX server when the primary server is not down, you might place the following in /etc/avenger/secondary (assuming MxLocalRcpt is 1): dns RECIP_MXES mx "$RECIPIENT_HOST" setvars server=`smtpdcheck --stop $MYIP $RECIP_MXES` test -n "$server" && defer "Please use server $server" SEE ALSO
avenger(1) dbutil(1) asmtpd.conf(5), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
smtpdcheck could achieve much lower latency by probing all the servers simultaneously. It should also include some kind of caching, to avoid repeatedly trying to contact an unavailable server. Finally, hosts with multiple IP addresses could be handled more cleanly, though what smtpdcheck does should probably work in most cases. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 smtpdcheck(1)