Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Granting access to specific user on a 700 file Post 303043079 by karumudi7 on Friday 17th of January 2020 01:12:40 PM
Old 01-17-2020
Granting access to specific user on a 700 file

Hello,

I have a a directory dir1 with permissions 700 (yes wantedly) and is owned by user1:group1
Code:
rwx------ user1 group1 dir1

I need to give permissions to user2 (belongs to group2) on dir1 and its files, so I granted the permissions using setfacl ; instead of adding the user to groups and them doing the chmod 770 permissions.
Because, I dont want members of this group also should access this content.

Code:
setfacl -Rdm u:user2:rwx  dir1

But the user2 is still not able to access the dir1. Is it because, the directory is having 700 ?
Is there a way to accomplish the need?

Last edited by karumudi7; 01-17-2020 at 03:10 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Granting User Access

I have two users, user1 and defaultuser. Whenever i logon to my unix session from a remote machine i log into defaultuser. Inside this "defaultuser" i have some setup files that i need to run from the other user that i have created myself i.e. "user1". The problem is even granting the ownership of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: awaismalik82
3 Replies

2. AIX

Granting folder access

Hello, I need to allow a user the ability to create files in a directory that is owned by another user/group. How can I do this? Thank you. AIX version: 5.3.0.0 ~David (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

granting permission to file/directory to a specific user

hello, I would like to grant full access to a directory which is owned by root and the web application that created it. I have though of adding the permission to the whole world, but for security reason I would like to grant it to one more user. I have tried this 'chmod -U newUser+wrx... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: run123
2 Replies

4. Solaris

create user with RWX access to a specific directory in Solaris 10

I need to create a user account for a developer that will allow him rwx access to all resources in a directory. How can I do that? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsander
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

User access to only specific subdirectory

is is possible to grant user access to only one subdirectory? example a. create ftp user with read/write/delete access (ftp user doesnt belong to uguys group) $ cd /etc/mydir $ls file1 file2 $ls -al -rw-rw-r-x 2 unixguy uguys 96 Dec 8 12:53 file1 -rw-rw-r-x 2 unixguy uguys 96... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Granting user permission for public_html

I have problem giving user access to his public_html directory. While when I am logged as root I can access my files by going to www.myserver.com/file.htmlwhere file.html is actually on this path... var/www/file.htmlBut when user tries to access his file.html on this path.... ~user/file.html it... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: joker40
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

allow user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file

Is there a way to allow a user to use sudo cp on a specific directory and only a specific file? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Limit FTP user's access to a specific directory

Hi, I have searched "Limit FTP user's access to a specific directory" subject for 3 days. I found proftp and vsftp but i couldn't compile and install. Is there any idea. Please suggest. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamurd
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Limit bash/sh user's access to a specific directory

Hello Team, I have Solaris 10 u6 I have a user test1 using bash that belong to the group staff. I would like to restrict this user to navigate only in his home directory and his subfolders but not not move out to other directories. How can I do it ? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csierra
1 Replies
getfacl(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        getfacl(1)

NAME
getfacl - display discretionary file information SYNOPSIS
getfacl [-ad] file... DESCRIPTION
For each argument that is a regular file, special file, or named pipe, the getfacl utility displays the owner, the group, and the Access Control List (ACL). For each directory argument, getfacl displays the owner, the group, and the ACL and/or the default ACL. Only directo- ries contain default ACLs. The getfacl utility may be executed on a file system that does not support ACLs. It reports the ACL based on the base permission bits. With no options specified, getfacl displays the filename, the file owner, the file group owner, and both the ACL and the default ACL, if it exists. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Displays the filename, the file owner, the file group owner, and the ACL of the file. -d Displays the filename, the file owner, the file group owner, and the default ACL of the file, if it exists. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file The path name of a regular file, special file, or named pipe. OUTPUT
The format for ACL output is as follows: # file: filename # owner: uid # group: gid user::perm user:uid:perm group::perm group:gid:perm mask:perm other:perm default:user::perm default:user:uid:perm default:group::perm default:group:gid:perm default:mask:perm default:other:perm When multiple files are specified on the command line, a blank line separates the ACLs for each file. The ACL entries are displayed in the order in which they are evaluated when an access check is performed. The default ACL entries that may exist on a directory have no effect on access checks. The first three lines display the filename, the file owner, and the file group owner. Notice that when only the -d option is specified and the file has no default ACL, only these three lines are displayed. The user entry without a user ID indicates the permissions that are granted to the file owner. One or more additional user entries indi- cate the permissions that are granted to the specified users. The group entry without a group ID indicates the permissions that are granted to the file group owner. One or more additional group entries indicate the permissions that are granted to the specified groups. The mask entry indicates the ACL mask permissions. These are the maximum permissions allowed to any user entries except the file owner, and to any group entries, including the file group owner. These permissions restrict the permissions specified in other entries. The other entry indicates the permissions that are granted to others. The default entries may exist only for directories. These entries indicate the default entries that are added to a file created within the directory. The uid is a login name or a user ID if there is no entry for the uid in the system password file, /etc/passwd. The gid is a group name or a group ID if there is no entry for the gid in the system group file, /etc/group. The perm is a three character string composed of the let- ters representing the separate discretionary access rights: r (read), w (write), x (execute/search), or the place holder character -. The perm is displayed in the following order: rwx. If a permission is not granted by an ACL entry, the place holder character appears. If you use the chmod(1) command to change the file group owner permissions on a file with ACL entries, both the file group owner permis- sions and the ACL mask are changed to the new permissions. Be aware that the new ACL mask permissions may change the effective permissions for additional users and groups who have ACL entries on the file. In order to indicate that the ACL mask restricts an ACL entry, getfacl displays an additional tab character, pound sign (#), and the actual permissions granted, following the entry. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Displaying file information Given file foo, with an ACL six entries long, the command host% getfacl foo would print: # file: foo # owner: shea # group: staff user::rwx user:spy:--- user:mookie:r-- group::r-- mask::rw- other::--- Example 2: Displaying information after chmod command Continue with the above example, after chmod 700 foo was issued: host% getfacl foo would print: # file: foo # owner: shea # group: staff user::rwx user:spy:--- user:mookie:r-- #effective:--- group::--- mask::--- other::--- Example 3: Displaying information when ACL contains default entries Given directory doo, with an ACL containing default entries, the command host% getfacl -d doo would print: # file: doo # owner: shea # group: staff default:user::rwx default:user:spy:--- default:user:mookie:r-- default:group::r-- default:mask::--- default:other::--- FILES
/etc/passwd system password file /etc/group group file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chmod(1), ls(1), setfacl(1), acl(2), aclsort(3SEC), group(4), passwd(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The output from getfacl is in the correct format for input to the setfacl -f command. If the output from getfacl is redirected to a file, the file may be used as input to setfacl. In this way, a user may easily assign one file's ACL to another file. SunOS 5.10 5 Nov 1994 getfacl(1)