Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to make use others' C library installed not for the system-wide (Ubuntu/Linux)? Post 303043076 by yifangt on Friday 17th of January 2020 12:36:01 PM
Old 01-17-2020
Thanks Greg, and Neo---although your input is more than I expected.
I found the topic deviated from the original point I was asking, because there are many aspects hidden behind my question that I do not know. However, It is easier for me to learn by example, especially on coding.
Normally, I found there is one layer missing to me when others library is installed in the system. Simply sudo apt-get install / sudo yum install etc does not help me in actual C coding from scratch.

Here, I want to stick to the tech and only the tech part, i.e: "In my this example, what is the correct/standard way to make use the downloaded htslib not installed system-wide? "

1) I want to confirm the options of my command line that are correct in general, while I'm trying to find the official reference (which normally do not have real hands-on example, e.g $ORIGIN);

2) Trying to catch the standard way to use non-system *.a and *.so files in C coding on top of point 1). Here "standard way" can be replaced with "common way" if there is not all-for-one solution, which is normally the case.
Two examples, (1) the standard way to use shared objects (.so) is to install them in the system directories Thanks Greg! This cleared my confusion. The not-answered part is how to make use of the *.so file when it is not installed system wide. (2) I saw people usually use static library for *.a files and dynamic library for *.so files, but Greg consistently use archives for *.a files and shared objects for *.so ones. It seems to me that they are different names for the same thing, but I might be wrong.
This was a so big confusing wording! And I owe an apology to all who read this post!
3) My point is what the right way(s)---may not be the best way--- is to use them.
Can I ask in another way:
What is the best practice to use others library (static *.a and shared *.so) not installed system-wide in C programming? I may need to start a new thread before the topic is veered too far off.

Thank you so much for your time!

Last edited by yifangt; 01-18-2020 at 02:47 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

links working system wide

I have created symbolic links to several frequently used commands, for example: "lt" is a link to "ls -ltrgo|tail". What can I do to make these links available system-wide, or at least in the directories my coworkers are in most of the time? I have copied the link to several directories, and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System wide CDE setup

Does anyone know how to make system wide changes to the CDE's front panel icons? I dont know if it matters but im running Solaris 9. THanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meyersp
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FIND function - system wide

Hi, I have a task to search for a file called 'Xstartup' in the whole system because there might be different versions of it which overrite eachother. Can anyone suggest a smart command to run this search ? The machine needs to scan every single folder beginning from root. Please help, I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
5 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to mount/make a FAT system on Linux

Yea i was wondering how i would mount, and create a FAT directory that way i can save files in the FAT directory in a windows system and be able to access them on Linux systems. Or if there is any other way to share files between Linux and Windows. Any responds will help... thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kyoist
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

system wide password change

Hello, I am new to shell scripting and I was trying to write a script that would force a system wide password change except for admins. I am having some trouble and any help that someone could give me would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to do it by using the UID as the marker for anyone... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kilemark
6 Replies

6. Linux

System wide find and sort

Hi, I need to look for a config file (ldap.conf) and pick the latest modified file. `locate` tells me there are many ldap.conf's, some in /etc, /usr, /home, etc. Is there some way I can sort them by last modified time via bash? I was thinking maybe I could pipe the output of `locate` to `ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Housni
4 Replies

7. Linux

How to run User-mode Linux installed with synaptic package manager in Ubuntu 10.10

I have installed user-mode linux kernel in Ubuntu 10.10 with the help of Synaptic package manager. But I'm not getting how to run it. If we install it manually, we've to run it using the executable binary file. But here, I'm unable to locate any such file. Please help.... Thanking You.... ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitadeshmukh1
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Changing system-wide for umask

Hi everybody, How can I change the default UMASK for non root users, e.g. I want the umask for every new created user will be 0044. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

System-wide search

When looking for wherever a program or a filename appears in the system, a short scrip is "findinner" which another script calls with a long parameter list consisting of path names ending with ".sh" or ".menu". "findinner" looks like this: # If not .savenn file, show name and result of grep. #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
4 Replies
GRUB-MKRESCUE(1)						   User Commands						  GRUB-MKRESCUE(1)

NAME
grub-mkrescue - make a GRUB rescue image SYNOPSIS
grub-mkrescue [OPTION...] [OPTION] SOURCE... DESCRIPTION
Make GRUB CD-ROM, disk, pendrive and floppy bootable image. --compress=no|xz|gz|lzo compress GRUB files [optional] -d, --directory=DIR use images and modules under DIR [default=/usr/lib/grub/<platform>] --fonts=FONTS install FONTS [default=unicode] --install-modules=MODULES install only MODULES and their dependencies [default=all] -k, --pubkey=FILE embed FILE as public key for signature checking --locale-directory=DIR use translations under DIR [default=/usr/share/locale] --locales=LOCALES install only LOCALES [default=all] --modules=MODULES pre-load specified modules MODULES --themes=THEMES install THEMES [default=starfield] -v, --verbose print verbose messages. --arcs-boot enable ARCS (big-endian mips machines, mostly SGI) boot. Disables HFS+, APM, sparc64 and boot as disk image for i386-pc --core-compress=xz|none|auto choose the compression to use for core image --label-bgcolor=COLOR use COLOR for label background --label-color=COLOR use COLOR for label --label-font=FILE use FILE as font for label -o, --output=FILE save output in FILE [required] --product-name=STRING use STRING as product name --product-version=STRING use STRING as product version --rom-directory=DIR save ROM images in DIR [optional] --sparc-boot enable sparc boot. Disables HFS+, APM, ARCS and boot as disk image for i386-pc --xorriso=FILE use FILE as xorriso [optional] -?, --help give this help list --usage give a short usage message -V, --version print program version Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional for any corresponding short options. Generates a bootable CD/USB/floppy image. Arguments other than options to this program are passed to xorriso, and indicate source files, source directories, or any of the mkisofs options listed by the output of `xorriso -as mkisofs -help'. Option -- switches to native xorriso command mode. Mail xorriso support requests to <bug-xorriso@gnu.org>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
grub-mkimage(1) The full documentation for grub-mkrescue is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-mkrescue programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-mkrescue should give you access to the complete manual. grub-mkrescue (GRUB) 2.02-2ubuntu8.3 July 2018 GRUB-MKRESCUE(1)