Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to make use others' C library installed not for the system-wide (Ubuntu/Linux)? Post 303043071 by GRMartin on Friday 17th of January 2020 09:50:13 AM
Old 01-17-2020
rpath is actually a linker option rather then a compiler option. gcc passes it to ld.

Well, th estandard way to use shared objects (.so) is to install them in the system directories used for that purpose (/usr/lib etc.) but that's not always possible. The archive (.a) allows you to link objects into your executable which produces a larger exectable but gets around the problem. If the library is updated you must recompile whereas with a shared object you only need to recompile if the update breaks your code.

For the loader to load a shared object at runtime it must know where to find them. rpath tells the linker to embed the path in the header of the executable but if the so is moved the loader won't be able to load it. ORIGIN resolves to whereeve the binary is at runtime so as long as the library stays with the executable it works.

-Greg.
This User Gave Thanks to GRMartin For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

links working system wide

I have created symbolic links to several frequently used commands, for example: "lt" is a link to "ls -ltrgo|tail". What can I do to make these links available system-wide, or at least in the directories my coworkers are in most of the time? I have copied the link to several directories, and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System wide CDE setup

Does anyone know how to make system wide changes to the CDE's front panel icons? I dont know if it matters but im running Solaris 9. THanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meyersp
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FIND function - system wide

Hi, I have a task to search for a file called 'Xstartup' in the whole system because there might be different versions of it which overrite eachother. Can anyone suggest a smart command to run this search ? The machine needs to scan every single folder beginning from root. Please help, I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
5 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to mount/make a FAT system on Linux

Yea i was wondering how i would mount, and create a FAT directory that way i can save files in the FAT directory in a windows system and be able to access them on Linux systems. Or if there is any other way to share files between Linux and Windows. Any responds will help... thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kyoist
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

system wide password change

Hello, I am new to shell scripting and I was trying to write a script that would force a system wide password change except for admins. I am having some trouble and any help that someone could give me would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to do it by using the UID as the marker for anyone... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kilemark
6 Replies

6. Linux

System wide find and sort

Hi, I need to look for a config file (ldap.conf) and pick the latest modified file. `locate` tells me there are many ldap.conf's, some in /etc, /usr, /home, etc. Is there some way I can sort them by last modified time via bash? I was thinking maybe I could pipe the output of `locate` to `ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Housni
4 Replies

7. Linux

How to run User-mode Linux installed with synaptic package manager in Ubuntu 10.10

I have installed user-mode linux kernel in Ubuntu 10.10 with the help of Synaptic package manager. But I'm not getting how to run it. If we install it manually, we've to run it using the executable binary file. But here, I'm unable to locate any such file. Please help.... Thanking You.... ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitadeshmukh1
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Changing system-wide for umask

Hi everybody, How can I change the default UMASK for non root users, e.g. I want the umask for every new created user will be 0044. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

System-wide search

When looking for wherever a program or a filename appears in the system, a short scrip is "findinner" which another script calls with a long parameter list consisting of path names ending with ".sh" or ".menu". "findinner" looks like this: # If not .savenn file, show name and result of grep. #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
4 Replies
ld.so(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  ld.so(8)

NAME
ld.so, ld-linux.so* - dynamic linker/loader DESCRIPTION
ld.so loads the shared libraries needed by a program, prepares the program to run, and then runs it. Unless explicitly specified via the -static option to ld during compilation, all Linux programs are incomplete and require further linking at run time. The necessary shared libraries needed by the program are searched for in the following order o Using the DT_RPATH dynamic section attribute of the binary if present and DT_RUNPATH attribute does not exist. o Using the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH . Except if the executable is a setuid/setgid binary, in which case it is ignored. o Using the DT_RUNPATH dynamic section attribute of the binary if present. o From the cache file /etc/ld.so.cache which contains a compiled list of candidate libraries previously found in the augmented library path. If, however, the binary was linked with -z nodeflib linker option, libraries in the default library paths are skipped. o In the default path /lib, and then /usr/lib. If the binary was linked with -z nodeflib linker option, this step is skipped. SYNOPSIS
The dynamic linker can be run either indirectly through running some dynamically linked program or library (in which case no command line options to the dynamic linker can be passed and the dynamic linker which is stored in the .interp section of the program is executed) or directly by running: /lib/ld-linux.so.* [OPTIONS] [PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS]] COMMAND LINE OPTIONS
--list List all dependencies and how they are resolved. --verify Verify that program is dynamically linked and this dynamic linker can handle it. --library-path PATH Override LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable setting (see below). --ignore-rpath LIST Ignore RPATH and RUNPATH information in object names in LIST. ENVIRONMENT
LD_LIBRARY_PATH A colon-separated list of directories in which to search for ELF libraries at execution-time. Similar to the PATH environment vari- able. LD_PRELOAD A whitespace-separated list of additional, user-specified, ELF shared libraries to be loaded before all others. This can be used to selectively override functions in other shared libraries. For setuid/setgid ELF binaries, only libraries in the standard search directories that are also setuid will be loaded. LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS If set to non-empty string, causes the program to list its dynamic library dependencies, as if run by ldd, instead of running nor- mally. LD_BIND_NOW If set to non-empty string, causes the dynamic linker to resolve all symbols at program startup instead of deferring function call resolval to the point when they are first referenced. LD_WARN If set to non-empty string, warn about unresolved symbols. LD_DEBUG Output verbose debugging information about the dynamic linker. If set to all prints all debugging information it has, if set to help prints a help message about which categories can be specified in this environment variable. LD_DEBUG_OUTPUT File where LD_DEBUG output should be fed into, default is standard output. LD_DEBUG_OUTPUT is ignored for setuid/setgid binaries. LD_VERBOSE If set to non-empty string, output symbol versioning information about the program if querying information about the program (ie. either LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS has been set, or --list or --verify options have been given to the dynamic linker). FILES
/lib/ld-linux.so.* ELF dynamic linker/loader /etc/ld.so.cache File containing a compiled list of directories in which to search for libraries and an ordered list of candidate libraries. /etc/ld.so.preload File containing a whitespace separated list of ELF shared libraries to be loaded before the program. libraries and an ordered list of candidate libraries. lib*.so* shared libraries SEE ALSO
ldd(1), ldconfig(8). AUTHORS
Roland McGrath, Ulrich Drepper and others. This man page is derived from libc 5 ld.so manual page. 30 October 2000 ld.so(8)