Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Replace substring by longest string in common field (awk) Post 303042961 by beca123456 on Tuesday 14th of January 2020 06:55:59 AM
Old 01-14-2020
Brilliant !

However, although I think I understand the following lines, I cannot place them in the context:
Code:
# When reading the input file for the first time, create an array based on $1 for which the values are $3 if length($3)>a[$1] or b[$1] if not.
# How come this line does not trigger an error since a[$1] is not yet defined?
b[$1]=length($3)>a[$1]?$3:b[$1]

# Defining a[$1]
# if length($3) > a[$1], then a[$1] equals length($3), otherwise equals a[$1]
a[$1]=length($3)>a[$1]?length($3):a[$1]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding longest common substring among filenames

I will be performing a task on several directories, each containing a large number of files (2500+) that follow a regular naming convention: YYYY_MM_DD_XX.foo_bar.A.B.some_different_stuff.EXT What I would like to do is automatically discover the part of the filenames that are common to all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmcnorgan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advanced AWK Regexp substring to int & Replace

Hi! I have a difficult problem, to step up a unknown version number in a text file, and save the file. It would be great to run script.sh and the version gets increased. Example the content of the textfile.txt hello version = x bye This include three steps 1. First find the char after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beachboy72
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Search text string in field, not all in field.

Hello, I am using awk to match text in a tab separated field and am able to do so when matching the exact word. My problem is that I would like to match any sequence of text in the tab-separated field without having to match it all. Any help will be appreciated. Please see the code below. awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocket_dog
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk uniq and longest string of a column as index

I met a challenge to filter ~70 millions of sequence rows and I want using awk with conditions: 1) longest string of each pattern in column 2, ignore any sub-string, as the index; 2) all the unique patterns after 1); 3) print the whole row; input: 1 ABCDEFGHI longest_sequence1 2 ABCDEFGH... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Values with common field in same line with awk

Hi all ! I almost did it but got a small problem. input: cars red cars blue cars green truck black Wanted: cars red-blue-green truck black Attempt: gawk 'BEGIN{FS="\t"}{a = a (a?"-":"")$2; $2=a; print $1 FS $2}' input But I also got the intermediate records... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing the longest match substring

Hello gurus, I have a database of possible primary signal strings pp22 pt22dx pp22dx jty2234 Also I have a list of scrambled signals which has a shorter string and a longer string separated by // (double slash ). Always the shorter string of a scrambled signal will have the primary... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senhia83
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field using matching value in file1 and substring in field in file2

In the awk below I am trying to set/update the value of $14 in file2 in bold, using the matching NM_ in $12 or $9 in file2 with the NM_ in $2 of file1. The lengths of $9 and $12 can be variable but what is consistent is the start pattern will always be NM_ and the end pattern is always ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: output lines with common field to separate files

Hi, A beginner one. my input.tab (tab-separated): h1 h2 h3 h4 h5 item1 grpA 2 3 customer1 item2 grpB 4 6 customer1 item3 grpA 5 9 customer1 item4 grpA 0 0 customer2 item5 grpA 9 1 customer2 objective: output a file for each customer ($5) with the item number ($1) only if $2 matches... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace substring from a string variable

Hi, Wish to remove "DR-" from the string variable (var). var="DR-SERVER1" var=`echo $var | sed -e 's/DR-//g'` echo "$var" Expected Output: However, I get the below error: Can you please suggest. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies
DPKG-AWK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-AWK(1)

NAME
dpkg-awk - Utility to read a dpkg style db file SYNOPSIS
dpkg-awk [(-f|--file) filename] [(-d|--debug) ##] [(-s|--sort) list] [(-rs|--rec_sep) ??] '<fieldname>:<regex>' ... -- <out_fieldname> .. DESCRIPTION
dpkg-awk Parses a dpkg status file (or other similarly formatted file) and outputs the resulting records. It can use regex on the field values to limit the returned records, it can also be told which fields to output, and it can sort the matched fields. OPTIONS
-f filename --file filename The file to parse. The default is /var/lib/dpkg/status. -d [#] --debug [#] Each time this is specified, it increased the debug level. -s field(s) --sort field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields to sort on. -n field(s) --numeric field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields that should be interpreted as numeric in value. -rs ?? --rec_sep ?? Output this string at the end of each output paragraph. -h --help Display some help. fieldname The fields from the file, that are matched with the regex given. The fieldnames are case insensitive. out_fieldname The fields from the file, that are output for each record. If the first field listed begins with ^, then the list of fields that follows will NOT be output. BUGS
Be warned that the author has only a shallow understanding of the dpkg packaging system, so there are probably tons of bugs in this pro- gram. This program comes with no warranties. If running this program causes fire and brimstone to rain down upon the earth, you will be on your own. This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. AUTHOR
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-AWK(1)