Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sort file data according to a custom list of string Post 303042947 by mohtashims on Monday 13th of January 2020 05:04:26 AM
Old 01-13-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
awk OK? Try
Code:
awk -v"IPL=$iplist" '
BEGIN           {for (MX=n=split(IPL, T, ","); n; n--) IPS[T[n]] = n
                }
$1 in IPS       {SORTC = IPS[$1]
                 DONE[$1] = 1
                 CNT = 0
                }
                {print SORTC, ++CNT, $0
                }
END             {for (i in IPS) if (!DONE[i]) print IPS[i], 1, i, ORS IPS[i], 2
                }
' OFS="\t" file | sort -n | cut -f3-

awk often errors with too long string message hence would appreciate non seek solution. Also if the solution is on the lines of the code i shared it would be really great.

Last edited by mohtashims; 01-13-2020 at 07:12 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to sort a string of numerical data in set fields

So, I will be working with someone and basically we are trying to build a form that is submitted most likely via the web and the data is just a string of numbers. like: 19383882872201110929282821818182827349190102837364718191001932873711 Now, each number is part of a numerical value of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a big data file

Hello, I have a big data file (160 MB) full of records with pipe(|) delimited those fields. I`m sorting the file on the first field. I'm trying to sort with "sort" command and it brings me 6 minutes. I have tried with some transformation methods in perl but it results "Out of memory". I was... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rubber08
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string(s) in text file and nearby data, export to list help

Hi, So I'm kinda new to shell scripts and the like. I've picked up quite a bit of use from browsing the forums here but ran into a new one that I can't seem to find an answer for. I'm looking to parse/find a string AND the next 15 or so charachters that follow the string within a text file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kar23me
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories with given string, sort by creation date

It is for HP-Unix B.11.31. Requirement: 1. List the directories, which directories name has given particular string. Example: Directories with name "Build" 2. On the output of 1. list the directories by creation date as sort order. I tried with; find . -type d -name "Build*" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Populating File data with custom manipulation on file names

Hi, I am confused how to proceed firther please find the problem below: Input Files: DCIA_GEOG_DATA_OCEAN.TXT DCIA_GEOG_DATA_MCRO.TXT DCIA_GEOG_DATA_CVAS.TXT DCIA_GEOG_DATA_MCR.TXT Output File Name: MMA_RFC_GEOG_NAM_DIM_LOD.txt Sample Record(DCIA_GEOG_DATA_OCEAN.TXT):(Layout same for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp :

Hi Experts, I have a filelist collected from another server , now want to sort the output using date/time stamp filed. - Filed 6, 7,8 are showing the date/time/stamp. Here is the input: #---------------------------------------------------------------------- -rw------- 1 root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Custom sort on a column

Hello all, How do I achieve this? I have A, B and A/B in different variables in a file in col2. I want them to sort in such a way, that the variables appear together, and within a variable, the data is sorted in the order A,B and then A/B. If I sort on the second column, the order becomes A,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senhia83
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort data file by case

Hello, I'm trying to sort a large data file by the 3rd column so that all of the first words in the 3rd column that are in all uppercase appear before (or after) the non uppercase words. For example, Data file: xxx 12345 Rat in the house xxx 12345 CAT in the hat xxx 12345 Dog in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort and Split file with header and custom name

Hi, I am using SUN SOLARIS (SunOS sun4v sparc SUNW, T5240). I have a huge data file with header and trailer. This file gets used into an ETL process. ETL skips the header record (which is the first record of the file) and loads the rest of the record. The file can be delimited (comma,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I custom sort the files in a directory using the filenames in a text file.?

Hi all, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMusunuru
5 Replies
lsort(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 lsort(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
lsort - Sort the elements of a list SYNOPSIS
lsort ?options? list _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command sorts the elements of list, returning a new list in sorted order. The implementation of the lsort command uses the merge-sort algorithm which is a stable sort that has O(n log n) performance characteristics. By default ASCII sorting is used with the result returned in increasing order. However, any of the following options may be specified before list to control the sorting process (unique abbreviations are accepted): -ascii Use string comparison with Unicode code-point collation order (the name is for backward-compatibility reasons.) This is the default. -dictionary Use dictionary-style comparison. This is the same as -ascii except (a) case is ignored except as a tie-breaker and (b) if two strings contain embedded numbers, the numbers compare as integers, not characters. For example, in -dictionary mode, bigBoy sorts between bigbang and bigboy, and x10y sorts between x9y and x11y. -integer Convert list elements to integers and use integer comparison. -real Convert list elements to floating-point values and use floating comparison. -command command Use command as a comparison command. To compare two elements, evaluate a Tcl script consisting of command with the two elements appended as additional arguments. The script should return an integer less than, equal to, or greater than zero if the first element is to be considered less than, equal to, or greater than the second, respectively. -increasing Sort the list in increasing order (``smallest'' items first). This is the default. -decreasing Sort the list in decreasing order (``largest'' items first). -index index If this option is specified, each of the elements of list must itself be a proper Tcl sublist. Instead of sorting based on whole sublists, lsort will extract the index'th element from each sublist and sort based on the given element. The keyword end is allowed for the index to sort on the last sublist element, and end-index sorts on a sublist element | offset from the end. For example, lsort -integer -index 1 {{First 24} {Second 18} {Third 30}} returns {Second 18} {First 24} {Third 30}, and | lsort -index end-1 {{a 1 e i} {b 2 3 f g} {c 4 5 6 d h}} | returns {c 4 5 6 d h} {a 1 e i} {b 2 3 f g}. This option is much more efficient than using -command to achieve the same effect. -unique If this option is specified, then only the last set of duplicate elements found in the list will be retained. Note that duplicates are determined relative to the comparison used in the sort. Thus if -index 0 is used, {1 a} and {1 b} would be considered duplicates and only the second element, {1 b}, would be retained. NOTES
The options to lsort only control what sort of comparison is used, and do not necessarily constrain what the values themselves actually are. This distinction is only noticeable when the list to be sorted has fewer than two elements. The lsort command is reentrant, meaning it is safe to use as part of the implementation of a command used in the -command option. EXAMPLES
Sorting a list using ASCII sorting: % lsort {a10 B2 b1 a1 a2} B2 a1 a10 a2 b1 Sorting a list using Dictionary sorting: % lsort -dictionary {a10 B2 b1 a1 a2} a1 a2 a10 b1 B2 Sorting lists of integers: % lsort -integer {5 3 1 2 11 4} 1 2 3 4 5 11 % lsort -integer {1 2 0x5 7 0 4 -1} -1 0 1 2 4 0x5 7 Sorting lists of floating-point numbers: % lsort -real {5 3 1 2 11 4} 1 2 3 4 5 11 % lsort -real {.5 0.07e1 0.4 6e-1} 0.4 .5 6e-1 0.07e1 Sorting using indices: % # Note the space character before the c % lsort {{a 5} { c 3} {b 4} {e 1} {d 2}} { c 3} {a 5} {b 4} {d 2} {e 1} % lsort -index 0 {{a 5} { c 3} {b 4} {e 1} {d 2}} {a 5} {b 4} { c 3} {d 2} {e 1} % lsort -index 1 {{a 5} { c 3} {b 4} {e 1} {d 2}} {e 1} {d 2} { c 3} {b 4} {a 5} Stripping duplicate values using sorting: % lsort -unique {a b c a b c a b c} a b c More complex sorting using a comparison function: % proc compare {a b} { set a0 [lindex $a 0] set b0 [lindex $b 0] if {$a0 < $b0} { return -1 } elseif {$a0 > $b0} { return 1 } return [string compare [lindex $a 1] [lindex $b 1]] } % lsort -command compare {{3 apple} {0x2 carrot} {1 dingo} {2 banana}} {1 dingo} {2 banana} {0x2 carrot} {3 apple} SEE ALSO
list(1T), lappend(1T), lindex(1T), linsert(1T), llength(1T), lsearch(1T), lset(1T), lrange(1T), lreplace(1T) | KEYWORDS
element, list, order, sort ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl 8.3 lsort(1T)