Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Communicating with ethernet to serial LED sign - is this feasible? Post 303042857 by hicksd8 on Wednesday 8th of January 2020 01:55:33 PM
Old 01-08-2020
Does the ethernet to serial adapter have a brand name on it? Often these devices are oem'd from a third party that manufactures the adapters. Also, they are often configured on the LAN using a browser. If you know the ip address of the adapter have you tried putting that address into a browser to see if you get invited to configure the thing?

To answer your first question, yes, it is certainly possible to access a serial device over ethernet using an adapter.

e.g.
NETRS232485 | Startech RS232 to Ethernet Ethernet Adapter | RS Components

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to use 2 Proccess communicating with each other using 2 pipe

Hi, Guys ... I want to know how to use to 2 processes (A & B) communicating with each others through 2 pipes (Pipe1 & Pinpe2) : such that process A write to Pipe1 and Process B read from Pipe1 and process B write to Pipe2 and Process A read from Pipe2 . Does anyone have an idea about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: someone33
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sign on/Sign off logging script

I'd like to make a script that I can execute every time I sign on to my linux box that keeps track of the time and allows to me to add a remark to a file. So basically once I log in, I run the script, and it outputs the date and time to a text file (log.txt). But that isn't my problem. I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glider
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Communicating with Serial Port

I am using system running on red hat linux 4. I had connected health measuring machine to the serial port and configured it stty -F /dev/ttyS0 9600 -parenb cs8 -cstopb this machine requires a command to be passed to it for giving output. I am unable to pass command hexa format(0x68) to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: netsavant
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Communicating Via Terminals With Other Computers

Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to communicate between two terminals on seperate computers for free - e.g. not using proprietary software or using the built in UNIX terminals on operating systems of the UNIX flavor. Thanks, photray94 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: photray94
2 Replies

5. AIX

how to know my serial port is communicating and running fine

i want to know that my serial port ( pci slot with 2 port ) is working fine and communicating is there any way to know the serialport is working and communicating? please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Ubuntu 9.04 Serial application to telnet to serial device

Hello! I am working on an application which reads environmental instruments which have serial ports. The application requires a serial port to be present to talk to the device (i.e. /dev/ttyS0 ). In some instances the environmental devices will be 100's of yards away from the computer, so a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvona
5 Replies

7. Programming

ERROR while communicating with gmail

$./a.out smtp.gmail.com 25 220 mx.google.com ESMTP 9sm2923369yxf.23 250 mx.google.com at your service 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS after handshake Common Name: smtp.gmail.com after get cert dn -----BEGIN SSL SESSION PARAMETERS-----... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshan.ghumare
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

Need a bridge from an ethernet interface to a serial interface

This is my situation DOS pc serial cable (sl0) Linux Pc eth1 192.168.0.10 <-------------------->192.168.0.2 <------------>192.168.0.1 (router) I connected the linux pc and the dos pc with a SLIP (serial line internet protocol), so they can communicate in the sl0 interface. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
3 Replies

9. Programming

Child threads communicating with main thread via pipes

I have a simple client/server program I am using for learning purposes. I have it setup so that after server is setup and listening it than goes into a loop where it accepts incoming client connections. After each connection, the client socket is than passed to a thread routine where it can be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Majortom71
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to send serial commands over ethernet

Hi there, I have a Debian server (192.168.1.1) connected through ethernet to a RS232 device servers (192.168.1.5) that is then connected through RS232 to a Video Projector. The idea is that I want to send commands to the video projector (eg. turn on/off) via the device server. According to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
4 Replies
ldns-read-zone(1)					      General Commands Manual						 ldns-read-zone(1)

NAME
ldns-read-zone - read a zonefile and print it SYNOPSIS
ldns-read-zone ZONEFILE DESCRIPTION
ldns-read-zone reads a DNS zone file and prints it. The output has 1 resource record per line, and no pretty-printing makeup. OPTIONS
-c Canonicalize all resource records in the zone before printing -d Only print DNSSEC data from the zone. This option skips every record that is not of type NSEC, NSEC3, RRSIG or DNSKEY. DS records are not printed. -b Include Bubble Babble encoding of DS's. -0 Print a (null) for the RRSIG inception, expiry and key data. This option can be used when comparing different signing systems that use the same DNSKEYs for signing but would have a slightly different timings/jitter. -h Show usage and exit -n Do not print the SOA record -p Pad the SOA serial number with spaces so the number and the spaces together take ten characters. This is useful for in file serial number increments. -s Strip DNSSEC data from the zone. This option skips every record that is of type NSEC, NSEC3, RRSIG or DNSKEY. DS records are still printed. -S [[+|0]number | YYYYMMDDxx | unixtime ] Set serial number to the given number, or when preceded by a sign, offset the exisiting number with it. When giving the literal strings YYYYMMDDxx or unixtime, the serial number is tried to be reset in datecounter or in unixtime format respectively. Though is the updated serial number is smaller than the original one, the original one is simply increased by one. When updating a serial number, records of type NSEC, NSEC3, RRSIG and DNSKEY will be skipped when printing the zone. -v Show the version and exit -z Sort the zone before printing (this implies -c) AUTHOR
Written by the ldns team as an example for ldns usage. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <ldns-team@nlnetlabs.nl>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005 NLnet Labs. This is free software. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. 30 May 2005 ldns-read-zone(1)