Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Cannot ftp from EXTERNAL sender Post 303042723 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 4th of January 2020 10:05:56 AM
Old 01-04-2020
The ftpaccess file is probably blocking the user, as a guess, something is not configured correctly in there.

Reference: Controlling FTP Server Access - System Administration Guide: Network Services

First thing to check:
Usually there is a line in the file to allow access based on network ipv4 address, example: 10.192.*
Work through all of the settings carefully one by one because there are other kinds of settings to check. ftp is a security risk, so this file exists to control access.

FWIW: We disabled ftp in favor of sftp, with Putty (free) on all of the windows desktops that needed sftp access to files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail without sender's id!

I found a mail which confused me a lot! since it did not contain any information regarding the sender of that mail. Is it possible to do like this? First i thought there was something wrong with the mail server.. but the subject of that mail still confused "nobody". How is it possible? or can I do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail Sender

Hello All, My unix (AIX 5.2) login is robk, my MS Exchange user name is rkapfer. What I want to do is send mail as rkapfer while logged in (to unix) as robk. I'm currently doing uuencode <pdf> <pdf>|mail -s"Subject" <recipient> works fine except the recipient sees me as robk@xyz.com.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkapfer
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Different Sender Address

Hello Following command send link to division managers. echo http://severname:8081/account-reports/2008Jun19-2008Jun25.2/index.html | mail -s "Weekly Division Sales Report" johndoe@companmail.com QUESTION. Above command send a body which is link of division report in email with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paulds
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sender email address has to changes

I am sending email with attachment using mail and uuencode command. Ex: (echo "$EMAIL_BODY"; uuencode $FILE ATTACH.TXT) || mail "$EMAIL_ID" -s "$EMAIL_SUB" I am getting email from "applmgr@rigelapp01.us.dell.com". I want to change this email address into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balajiora
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

postfix sender address rewriting

Hi, I have a postfix server that relays to an exchange server. All of my unix/linux systems send to this server, the problem is the form the mail is sent with, the sender address is username@hostname.domain.local I need to rewrite every sender address to unix@maildomain.com for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HL7 MLLP Sender in C

Hi Everyone, This is a pretty big request, but I was wondering if anyone out there has a program written in C, Perl, Tcl or whatever that can be executed from the command line and will send HL7 messages from a NL delimited file and send them to the specifid host/port using the MLLP HL7 TCP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: troym72
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwriting sender's information for mailx

Hello Forum members. We currently have a reusable script called "send_email.sh" that is used to send us alerts when our daily jobs are completed. Script uses the mailx utility and below is a sample message: -----Original Message----- From: Servacct ETL process owner - Manager Database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Postfix sender problem

Hi All! I have a very annoying problem. I have an openSuSE box, running postfix on it. It is configured, to use gmail to send mails. It is working fine, I accept the messages, but the sender is my gmail account, not the linux box. How can I (if I can) configure postfix to send the mails with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzed
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fake email sender

Hi, I am using the below command to send the email. mailx -s "test from `hostname`" email@gmail.com < attachment.txt id uid=870(wlsuser) gid=641(wlsgrp) I recieve the email as "From: wlsuser@hostname Can I somehow have any string instead of wlsuser, if that grows too complex to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifahim
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

lftp script to connect to external sftp site and download to internal ftp and then send email

Hi there, I'm new to shell scripting and need some help if possible? I need to create a shell script (.sh) to run as a cron job on an ubuntu linux server to connect to an external sftp sites directory using credentials (which I have) and then download to our internal ftp server and then copy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghath
3 Replies
ftphosts(4)							   File Formats 						       ftphosts(4)

NAME
ftphosts - FTP Server individual user host access file SYNOPSIS
/etc/ftpd/ftphosts DESCRIPTION
The ftphosts file is used to allow or deny access to accounts from specified hosts. The following access capabilities are supported: allow username addrglob [addrglob...] Only allow users to login as username from host(s) that match addrglob. deny username addrglob [addrglob...] Do not allow users to login as username from host(s) that match addrglob. A username of * matches all users. A username of anonymous or ftp specifies the anonymous user. addrglob is a regular expression that is matched against hostnames or IP addresses. addrglob may also be in the form address:netmask or address/CIDR, or be the name of a file that starts with a slash ('/') and contains additional address globs. An exclamation mark (`!') placed before the addrglob negates the test. The first allow or deny entry in the ftphosts file that matches a username and host is used. If no entry exists for a username, then access is allowed. Otherwise, a matching allow entry is required to permit access. EXAMPLES
You can use the following ftphosts file to allow anonymous access from any host except those on the class A network 10, with the exception of 10.0.0.* IP addresses, which are allowed access: allow ftp 10.0.0.* deny ftp 10.*.*.* allow ftp * 10.0.0.* can be written as 10.0.0.0:255.255.255.0 or 10.0.0.0/24. FILES
/etc/ftpd/ftphosts ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
in.ftpd(1M), ftpaccess(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftphosts(4)