Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regex issue with \s in character class. Post 303042638 by Aia on Thursday 2nd of January 2020 12:29:50 AM
Old 01-02-2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrageous
Anybody have an explanation for why \s doesn't match ' ' in a character class? Here are 3 examples with the final example showing that \s in a character class (demonstrated by using egrep -o) fails:

\s works outside of class..

Code:
# echo " FOO " | egrep -o '\s[A-Z]+\s'
 FOO

Here is a sanity check using ' '...

Code:
# echo " FOO " | egrep -o '[  ][A-Z]+[  ]'
 FOO

Here I try with \s in a character class
Code:
# echo " FOO " | egrep -o '[\s][A-Z]+[\s]'
#

The backslash is not a metacharacter in a POSIX compliant bracket expression. Therefore [\s] will match the characters \ or s instead of white space.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and POSIX character class

can anyone tell me why this doesn't work? I've been trying to play with character classes and I seem to be missing something here..! echo "./comparecdna.summary" | awk '/^compare+]summary$/' # returns nothing echo "./compare_cdna.summary" | awk '/^compare_+]summary$/' # returns nothing echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthalamus
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to find font class

So, I need to find the instances of a certain font and remove it....so far in my testing I am using the find command with regex to find a font I want to pull out. However, I seem to be slightly stuck, and I am sure the beard stroking Unix geniuses here can help me. My example code: find... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl regex issue

Hi, I find it really strange while writing a simple regex to match and print the matched string, dibyajyo@fwtest:~ #perl -e '$x = "root@rashmi>"; print "matched string:$1\n" if ($x =~ /(root@rashmi)/);' matched string:root dibyajyo@fwtest:~ #perl -e '$x = "root@rashmi>"; print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex escape special character in AWK if statement

I am having issues escaping special characters in my AWK script as follows: for id in `cat file` do grep $id in file2 | awk '\ BEGIN {var=""} \ { if ( /stringwith+'|'+'50'chars/ ) { echo "do this" } else if ( /anotherString/ ) { echo "do that" } else { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: purebc
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex:search/replace but not for escaped character

Hi Input: - -- --- ---- aa-bb-cc aa--bb--cc aa---bb---cc aa----bb----cc Output: . - -. -- aa.bb.cc (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chitech
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Get pointer for existing device class (struct class) in Linux kernel module

Hi all! I am trying to register a device in an existing device class, but I am having trouble getting the pointer to an existing class. I can create a class in a module, get the pointer to it and then use it to register the device with: *cl = class_create(THIS_MODULE, className);... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdaniel@ualg.pt
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex space character

Hi, I have following regex condition, however it does not work with different logs having same visible string.I believe it is because of some difference with space character, is it possible to make it work everywhere. Can someone suggest a better string? /BIND dn=" uid=/ Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: susankoperna1
8 Replies

8. Programming

Size of Derived class, upon virtual base class inheritance

I have the two class definition as follows. class A { public: int a; }; class B : virtual public A{ }; The size of class A is shown as 4, and size of class B is shown as 16. Why is this effect ?. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmonk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match string against character class in bash

Hello, I want to check whether string has only numeric characters. The following code doesn't work for me #!/usr/local/bin/bash if ]]; then echo "true" else echo "False" fi # ./yyy '346' False # ./yyy 'aaa' False I'm searching for solution using character classes, not regex.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
5 Replies

10. Programming

C++ : Base class member function not accessible from derived class

Hello All, I am a learner in C++. I was testing my inheritance knowledge with following piece of code. #include <iostream> using namespace std; class base { public : void display() { cout << "In base display()" << endl; } void display(int k) {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
2 Replies
ZIPGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							ZIPGREP(1)

NAME
zipgrep - search files in a ZIP archive for lines matching a pattern SYNOPSIS
zipgrep [egrep_options] pattern file[.zip] [file(s) ...] [-x xfile(s) ...] DESCRIPTION
zipgrep will search files within a ZIP archive for lines matching the given string or pattern. zipgrep is a shell script and requires egrep(1) and unzip(1) to function. Its output is identical to that of egrep(1). ARGUMENTS
pattern The pattern to be located within a ZIP archive. Any string or regular expression accepted by egrep(1) may be used. file[.zip] Path of the ZIP archive. (Wildcard expressions for the ZIP archive name are not supported.) If the literal filename is not found, the suffix .zip is appended. Note that self-extracting ZIP files are supported, as with any other ZIP archive; just specify the .exe suffix (if any) explicitly. [file(s)] An optional list of archive members to be processed, separated by spaces. If no member files are specified, all members of the ZIP archive are searched. Regular expressions (wildcards) may be used to match multiple members: * matches a sequence of 0 or more characters ? matches exactly 1 character [...] matches any single character found inside the brackets; ranges are specified by a beginning character, a hyphen, and an end- ing character. If an exclamation point or a caret (`!' or `^') follows the left bracket, then the range of characters within the brackets is complemented (that is, anything except the characters inside the brackets is considered a match). (Be sure to quote any character that might otherwise be interpreted or modified by the operating system.) [-x xfile(s)] An optional list of archive members to be excluded from processing. Since wildcard characters match directory separators (`/'), this option may be used to exclude any files that are in subdirectories. For example, ``zipgrep grumpy foo *.[ch] -x */*'' would search for the string ``grumpy'' in all C source files in the main directory of the ``foo'' archive, but none in any subdirectories. Without the -x option, all C source files in all directories within the zipfile would be searched. OPTIONS
All options prior to the ZIP archive filename are passed to egrep(1). SEE ALSO
egrep(1), unzip(1), zip(1), funzip(1), zipcloak(1), zipinfo(1), zipnote(1), zipsplit(1) URL
The Info-ZIP home page is currently at http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ or ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ . AUTHORS
zipgrep was written by Jean-loup Gailly. Info-ZIP 20 April 2009 ZIPGREP(1)