Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regex issue with \s in character class. Post 303042635 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 1st of January 2020 11:07:58 PM
Old 01-02-2020
It is a shorthand character class that mostly expands to [ \f\t\n\v] -- it is shorthand for a character class, like \d and others

Explained here:.

Regexp Tutorial - Shorthand Character Classes has this for \s:

Quote:
\s stands for “whitespace character”¯. Again, which characters this actually includes, depends on the regex flavor. In all flavors discussed in this tutorial, it includes [ \t\r\n\f]. That is: \s matches a space, a tab, a line break, or a form feed. Most flavors also include the vertical tab, with Perl (prior to version 5.18) and PCRE (prior to version 8.34) being notable exceptions. In flavors that support Unicode, \s normally includes all characters from the Unicode “separator”¯ category. Java and PCRE are exceptions once again. But JavaScript does match all Unicode whitespace with \s.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and POSIX character class

can anyone tell me why this doesn't work? I've been trying to play with character classes and I seem to be missing something here..! echo "./comparecdna.summary" | awk '/^compare+]summary$/' # returns nothing echo "./compare_cdna.summary" | awk '/^compare_+]summary$/' # returns nothing echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthalamus
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to find font class

So, I need to find the instances of a certain font and remove it....so far in my testing I am using the find command with regex to find a font I want to pull out. However, I seem to be slightly stuck, and I am sure the beard stroking Unix geniuses here can help me. My example code: find... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlarkin
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl regex issue

Hi, I find it really strange while writing a simple regex to match and print the matched string, dibyajyo@fwtest:~ #perl -e '$x = "root@rashmi>"; print "matched string:$1\n" if ($x =~ /(root@rashmi)/);' matched string:root dibyajyo@fwtest:~ #perl -e '$x = "root@rashmi>"; print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex escape special character in AWK if statement

I am having issues escaping special characters in my AWK script as follows: for id in `cat file` do grep $id in file2 | awk '\ BEGIN {var=""} \ { if ( /stringwith+'|'+'50'chars/ ) { echo "do this" } else if ( /anotherString/ ) { echo "do that" } else { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: purebc
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex:search/replace but not for escaped character

Hi Input: - -- --- ---- aa-bb-cc aa--bb--cc aa---bb---cc aa----bb----cc Output: . - -. -- aa.bb.cc (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chitech
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Get pointer for existing device class (struct class) in Linux kernel module

Hi all! I am trying to register a device in an existing device class, but I am having trouble getting the pointer to an existing class. I can create a class in a module, get the pointer to it and then use it to register the device with: *cl = class_create(THIS_MODULE, className);... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdaniel@ualg.pt
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex space character

Hi, I have following regex condition, however it does not work with different logs having same visible string.I believe it is because of some difference with space character, is it possible to make it work everywhere. Can someone suggest a better string? /BIND dn=" uid=/ Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: susankoperna1
8 Replies

8. Programming

Size of Derived class, upon virtual base class inheritance

I have the two class definition as follows. class A { public: int a; }; class B : virtual public A{ }; The size of class A is shown as 4, and size of class B is shown as 16. Why is this effect ?. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmonk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match string against character class in bash

Hello, I want to check whether string has only numeric characters. The following code doesn't work for me #!/usr/local/bin/bash if ]]; then echo "true" else echo "False" fi # ./yyy '346' False # ./yyy 'aaa' False I'm searching for solution using character classes, not regex.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
5 Replies

10. Programming

C++ : Base class member function not accessible from derived class

Hello All, I am a learner in C++. I was testing my inheritance knowledge with following piece of code. #include <iostream> using namespace std; class base { public : void display() { cout << "In base display()" << endl; } void display(int k) {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
2 Replies
ISWALPHA(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       ISWALPHA(3)

NAME
iswalpha - test for alphabetic wide character SYNOPSIS
#include <wctype.h> int iswalpha(wint_t wc); DESCRIPTION
The iswalpha() function is the wide-character equivalent of the isalpha(3) function. It tests whether wc is a wide character belonging to the wide-character class "alpha". The wide-character class "alpha" is a subclass of the wide-character class "alnum", and therefore also a subclass of the wide-character class "graph" and of the wide-character class "print". Being a subclass of the wide-character class "print", the wide-character class "alpha" is disjoint from the wide-character class "cntrl". Being a subclass of the wide-character class "graph", the wide-character class "alpha" is disjoint from the wide-character class "space" and its subclass "blank". Being a subclass of the wide-character class "alnum", the wide-character class "alpha" is disjoint from the wide-character class "punct". The wide-character class "alpha" is disjoint from the wide-character class "digit". The wide-character class "alpha" contains the wide-character classes "upper" and "lower". The wide-character class "alpha" always contains at least the letters 'A' to 'Z' and 'a' to 'z'. RETURN VALUE
The iswalpha() function returns nonzero if wc is a wide character belonging to the wide-character class "alpha". Otherwise it returns zero. CONFORMING TO
C99. NOTES
The behavior of iswalpha() depends on the LC_CTYPE category of the current locale. SEE ALSO
isalpha(3), iswctype(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1999-07-25 ISWALPHA(3)