Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C: inputting string of unknown length Post 303042617 by GRMartin on Wednesday 1st of January 2020 10:37:17 AM
Old 01-01-2020
I'd just like to add that a good way to use realloc is to assign to a temp variable rather then the variable you are copying from. That way if realloc fails you haven't lost the memory in your original variable. i.e.

Code:
char* tmp = realloc (str, len);
if (tmp == NULL) {
    free (str); // you can free str since you haven't changed the address in realloc
    return NULL; // or something to signal an allocation failure

} 

str = tmp; // the reallocation worked and now we assign tmp to str

-Greg.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selecting unknown string.

Work problem: Need to set up a job to periodically check that the number of entries in the mail queue. I'm able to do the following: mailq | grep "Mail Queue" Which returns: Mail Queue (7 requests) Unfortunately I'm not sure how I select between `(` and `requests`? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

length of the string

Hi all, pls help me in finding the length of the given string, do we need to write a code seperately or is there any command?? pls help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie: how to extract an unknown word from a string

hi, im quite new to perl regexp. i have a problem where i want to extract a word from a given string. but the word is unknown, only fact is that it appears as the second word in the string. Eg. input string(s) : char var1 = 'A'; int var2 = 10; char *ptr; and what i want to do is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolwy_pete
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching and storing unknown number of lines based on the string with a condition

Dear friends, Please help me to resolve the problem below, I have a file with following content: date of file creation : 12 feb 2007 ==================== = name : suresh = city :mumbai #this is a blank line = date : 1st Nov 2005 ==================== few lines of some text this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read a string with leading spaces and find the length of the string

HI In my script, i am reading the input from the user and want to find the length of the string. The input may contain leading spaces. Right now, when leading spaces are there, they are not counted. Kindly help me My script is like below. I am using the ksh. #!/usr/bin/ksh echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayamatrix
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract substring of unknown length from string

I have a string: hgLogOutput=" +0000 files: forum/web/hook-test.txt /forum/web/hook-test-2.txt description: test" and I want to extract the file names from it, they will always appear between the files: and the description:. I have worked out that I can do this: "$hgLogOutput" | awk '{... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klogger
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimted to padded conversion with unknown field length

I’m looking for an elegant way to convert a delimited file (comma delimited in this case) to padded columns (for printing in non-proportional font) but the length of each column is not known ahead of time. It needs to be calculated for each column from the longest entry in that column in a given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing characters from end of line (length unknown)

Hi I have a file which contains wrong XML, There are some garbage characters at the end of line that I want to get rid of. Example: <request type="product" ><attributes><pair><name>q</name><value><!]></value></pair><pair><name>start</name><value>1</value></pair></attributes></request>�J ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirtyd0ggy
7 Replies
bsdmalloc(3MALLOC)														bsdmalloc(3MALLOC)

NAME
bsdmalloc - memory allocator SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lbsdmalloc [ library ... ] char *malloc(size); unsigned size; int free( ptr); char *ptr; char *realloc( ptr, size); char *ptr; unsigned size; These routines provide a general-purpose memory allocation package. They maintain a table of free blocks for efficient allocation and coa- lescing of free storage. When there is no suitable space already free, the allocation routines call sbrk(2) to get more memory from the system. Each of the allocation routines returns a pointer to space suitably aligned for storage of any type of object. Each returns a null pointer if the request cannot be completed. The malloc() function returns a pointer to a block of at least size bytes, which is appropriately aligned. The free() function releases a previously allocated block. Its argument is a pointer to a block previously allocated by malloc() or real- loc(). The free() function does not set errno. The realloc() function changes the size of the block pointed to by ptr to size bytes and returns a pointer to the (possibly moved) block. The contents will be unchanged up to the lesser of the new and old sizes. If the new size of the block requires movement of the block, the space for the previous instantiation of the block is freed. If the new size is larger, the contents of the newly allocated portion of the block are unspecified. If ptr is NULL, realloc() behaves like malloc() for the specified size. If size is 0 and ptr is not a null pointer, the space pointed to is freed. The malloc() and realloc() functions return a null pointer if there is not enough available memory. They return a non-null pointer if size is 0. These pointers should not be dereferenced. When realloc() returns NULL, the block pointed to by ptr is left intact. Always cast the value returned by malloc() and realloc(). If malloc() or realloc() returns unsuccessfully, errno will be set to indicate the following: ENOMEM size bytes of memory cannot be allocated because it exceeds the physical limits of the system. EAGAIN There is not enough memory available at this point in time to allocate size bytes of memory; but the application could try again later. Using realloc() with a block freed before the most recent call to malloc() or realloc() results in an error. Comparative features of the various allocation libraries can be found in the umem_alloc(3MALLOC) manual page. brk(2), malloc(3C), malloc(3MALLOC), mapmalloc(3MALLOC), umem_alloc(3MALLOC) WARNINGS
Use of libbsdmalloc renders an application non-SCD compliant. The libbsdmalloc routines are incompatible with the memory allocation routines in the standard C-library (libc): malloc(3C), alloca(3C), calloc(3C), free(3C), memalign(3C), realloc(3C), and valloc(3C). 21 Mar 2005 bsdmalloc(3MALLOC)