Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX change ulimit for a user
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users AIX change ulimit for a user Post 303042593 by cokedude on Tuesday 31st of December 2019 02:40:55 PM
Old 12-31-2019
AIX change ulimit for a user

I have seen two different ways for changing the ulimit for a user in aix. Which one is better?

Option 1

Code:
edit /etc/security/limits

oracle:
        fsize = -1
        data = -1
        stack = -1
        fsize_hard = -1
        nofiles = -1
        nofiles_hard = -1

Option 2

Code:
chuser rss=-1 oracle
chuser fsize=-1 oracle
chuser data=-1 oracle
chuser nofiles=-1 oracle
chuser stack=-1 oracle

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Handling User Id Change in AIX

Hi, I have a query that suppose the first or last name of the user changes and we need to change its userid for aix too. Then in that case how do we handle this scenario??I guess we can't change the user id so we should re-create the new id and associate all the data of the old id. But I donno... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tintin@10
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make ulimit change permanent

ulimit -a gives the following output:$ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) 2097152 data(kbytes) 131072 stack(kbytes) 16384 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 32768 nofiles(descriptors) 400 vmemory(kbytes) 147456 Abot output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
3 Replies

3. AIX

how to set the ulimit on AIX 5.2 version?

how to set the ulimit on AIX 5.2 version? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
3 Replies

4. AIX

Increase the filesize ulimit for a user?

Hi Guys, How do I increase the filesize ulimit for user jf01474, using the same value as of user oracle? Ex: /etc/security/limits default: fsize = 4194302 core = 2097151 cpu = -1 data = 262144 rss = 65536 stack = 65536 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sky_lark02
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

change ulimit fsize permanantly

Hi, on HP-UX when I run command ulimit -a I get time(seconds) 4096 file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1048576 stack(kbytes) 8192 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 4194303 nofiles(descriptors) 4096 Now I want to change file(blocks) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namita.mundada
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX user ID and group ID change

Hello AIX gurus, I have a requirement where I have to change user ID of user "myuser" from 100 to 200 and also the group ID of "mygroup" from 2 to 3. Please note that "myuser" has "mygroup" as it's primary group. What steps do I need to follow for this and in what order? Also can you please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sacguy08
2 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 6.1 Kernal Parameters ulimit

Hello, How can I setup the ulimit for memory permanent ulimit -m unlimited ulimit -a Output from the ulimit command should be similar to the following:time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 2097152 stack(kbytes) 32768... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX User Change Log

Hello All, If a user in AIX is locked due to multiple failed login attempts. How do I find out the IP address from where failed attempts were made? regards, Roshni (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

setting ulimit for a user

The root user runs the following ulimit -a | grep open and gets a result of open files (-n) 8162 A user runs the same command and gets a result of open files (-n) 2500 How can you set the ulimit of the user to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsanders
2 Replies

10. AIX

What are the ideal ulimit settings for root user in AIX?

Hi, what are the ideal/best/recommended ulimit settings for a root user in AIX? I understand that it depends on our environment. But I would like to know...what are settings you guys use in your environment for best performance. default: fsize = 2097151 core = 2097151 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
8 Replies
asadmin(1M)						    Application Server Utility						       asadmin(1M)

NAME
asadmin - utility for performing administrative tasks for the Sun Java System Application Server SYNOPSIS
asadmin subcommand [-short_option[short_option_argument]]* [--long_option[long_option_argument]]* [operand]* Use the asadmin utility to perform any administrative task for the Sun Java System Application Server. You can use this utility in place of using the Administration Console. The subcommand identifies the operation or task you wish to perform. Subcommands are case-sensitive. Short option arguments have a single dash (-); while long option arguments have two dashes (--). Options modify how the utility performs a subcommand. Options are also case- sensitive. Most options require argument values except boolean options which toggle to switch a feature ON or OFF. Operands appear after the argument values, and are set off by a space, a tab, or double dashes (--). The asadmin utility treats anything that comes after the options and their values as an operand. Local subcommands can be executed without the presence of an administration server. However, it is required that the user be logged into the machine hosting the domain in order to execute the subcommand and have access (permissions) for the installation and domain directo- ries. Remote subcommands are always executed by connecting to an administration server and executing the subcommand there. A running administra- tion server is required. All remote subcommands require the following options: -u --user authorized domain application server administrative username. -w --password password to administer the domain application server. -H --host machine name where the domain application server is running. -p --port port number of the domain application server listening for administration requests. -s --secure if true, uses SSL/TLS to communicate with the domain application server. -t --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. Default is false. -e --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. Default is false. -I --interactive if set to true (default), only the required password options are prompted. For security purposes, you can set the password for a subcommand from a file instead of entering the password at the command line. The --passwordfile option takes the file containing the passwords. The valid contents for the file are: AS_ADMIN_PASSWORD=value AS_ADMIN_ADMINPASSWORD=value AS_ADMIN_USERPASSWORD=value Given the --passwordfile option and its value, the password options in the passwordfile are exported to the global environment; subsequent subcommands without the password options take this value. However, if both the --password and --passwordfile options are specified on the command line, the password value in the passwordfile is exported to the global environment and subsequent subcommands without the --pass- word option would take this value. However, for the current subcommand, the --password option value specified on the command line is taken since the --password option takes precedence over the --passwordfile option. To use the --secure option, you must use the set command to enable the security--enabled flag in the admin http-listener in the domain.xml. When you use the asadmin subcommands to create and/or delete, you must restart the server for the newly created command to take affect. Use the start-domain command to restart the server. Some characters, such as the colon (:), the asterisk (*), and the backslash(, cause errors if you use them in the command syntax unless you use escape characters to set them off. The possibilities for using escape characters vary depending upon what platform you use and whether you use singlemode or multimode. You do not need to use escape characters for colons in the get or set commands. On UNIX, in singlemode, you can use either two backslashes () or double-quotes (" ") to escape restricted characters. For example, when creating a JDBC connection pool with an option whose value includes colons, you could use backslashes (example assumes the environment variables have been set for some properties): asadmin create-jdbc-connection-pool --datasourceclassname oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSource --failconnection=true --isconnectvali- datereq=true --property url=jdbc:oracle:thin:@asperfsol8:1521:V8i:user=staging_lookup_app:password=staging_lookup_app OraclePoollookup To use quotes in the same example as above, you would enclose the value in double quotes (") and escape the double quotes with the back- slash. asadmin create-jdbc-connection-pool --datasourceclassname oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSource --failconnection=true --isconnectvali- datereq=true --property url= word=staging_lookup_app OraclePoollookup On windows, in singlemode, you can escape using the backslash character. For example, when creating a JDBC connection pool with an option whose value includes colons, you could use backslashes (example assumes the environment variables have been set for some properties): asadmin create-jdbc-connection-pool --datasourceclassname oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSource --failconnection=true --isconnectvali- datereq=true --property url=jdbcoraclethin@asperfsol81521V8i:user=staging_lookup_app:pas sword=staging_lookup_app OraclePoollookup On any platform, in singlemode, you can use backslashes to escape the character and enclose the value containing the escaped characters in double quotes. For example, when creating a JDBC connection pool with a option whose value includes colons, you could use the escape char- acters as follows (example assumes the environment variables have been set for some properties): asadmin create-jdbc-connection-pool --datasourceclassname oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSource --failconnection=true --isconnectvali- datereq=true --property url="jdbcoraclethin@iasperfsol81521V8i":user=staging_lookup_app: password=staging_lookup_app OraclePoollookup On any platform, in multimode, you can use the following syntax, which only requires quotes, not slashes or backslashes: asadmin> create-jdbc-connection-pool --datasourceclassname oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSource --failconnection=true --isconnectvali- datereq=true --property url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@asperfsol8:1521:V8i":user=staging_lookup_app:password=staging_lookup_app OraclePoollookup To access the manpages for the Application Server Command-line interface subcommands, add $AS_INSTALL/man to your MANPATH environment vari- able. You can obtain overall usage information for any of the asadmin utility subcommands by invoking the --help option. If you specify a sub- command, the usage information for that subcommand is displayed. Using the help option without a subcommand displays a listing of all the available subcommands. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ appclient(1M), package-appclient(1M) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin(1M)