Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers 32 bit process addressing more than 4GB Post 303042479 by Leito7824 on Thursday 26th of December 2019 03:42:11 PM
Old 12-26-2019
32 bit process addressing more than 4GB

Hello for all,

I am testing the behavior of a 32 bit application running on Solaris 5.10 (SPARC), and realize it reaches 4GB of memory and then crashes.

It doesn't matter the amount of used memory as application is intended to perform many transactions; rather, what I want to achieve is to get the application capable to address more than 4GB without having to recompile and rebuild it in 64 bit mode.

It is possible to achieve that? if so, I am glad if you can indicate me how to do that.

Thanks in advance, and happy holidays!

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

copying or concatinating string from 1st bit, leaving 0th bit

Hello, If i have 2 strings str1 and str2, i would like to copy/concatenate str2 to str1, from 1st bit leaving the 0th bit. How do i do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
2 Replies

2. AIX

fiber with 4GB

Hi, It's my first time I will use a 4BG fiber with two ports on one card. I used only one port 2GB before. What will be the drivers I need to install on my AIX5.3? Is the two ports going to be just one line? Or I can use the other ports on another connection. Thanks in advance, itik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Four-Level multi-paging on x86 system with 64 bit addressing

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi all, I've got a huuuuuuge problem with understanding this new concept of multi-paging. I really tried to research but i could not find anything significant. I've been trying to understand this for 4 days and i cannot. The question... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowboarder
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

process fails if setuid bit is set

Hi, OS : Linux I have an executable (P1) owned by user say "abcd" and the setuid bit is set. And there is another executable (P2) which brings up the process (P1). When the setuid bit is set, the process P1 is failing, if the setuid bit is not set there is no issue. I was wondering if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle 64 bit arithmetic operation at 32 bit compiled perl interpreter?H

Hi, Here is the issue. From the program snippet I have Base: 0x1800000000, Size: 0x3FFE7FFFFFFFF which are of 40 and 56 bits. SO I used use bignum to do the math but summing them up I always failed having correct result. perl interpreter info, perl, v5.8.8 built for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
0 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Which version of Windows Vista to install with a product key? 32-bit or 64-bit?

Hello everyone. I bought a dell laptop (XPS M1330) online which came without a hard drive. There is a Windows Vista Ultimate OEMAct sticker with product key at the bottom case. I checked dell website (here) for this model and it says this model supports both 32 and 64-bit version of Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies
mem(7D) 							      Devices								   mem(7D)

NAME
mem, kmem, allkmem - physical or virtual memory access SYNOPSIS
/dev/mem /dev/kmem /dev/allkmem DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/mem is a special file that provides access to the physical memory of the computer. The file /dev/kmem is a special file that provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, excluding memory that is associated with an I/O device. The file /dev/allkmem is a special file that provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, including memory that is associated with an I/O device. You can use any of these devices to examine and modify the system. Byte addresses in /dev/mem are interpreted as physical memory addresses. Byte addresses in /dev/kmem and /dev/allkmem are interpreted as kernel virtual memory addresses. A reference to a non-existent location returns an error. See ERRORS for more information. The file /dev/mem accesses physical memory; the size of the file is equal to the amount of physical memory in the computer. This size may be larger than 4GB on a system running the 32-bit operating environment. In this case, you can access memory beyond 4GB using a series of read(2) and write(2) calls, a pread64() or pwrite64() call, or a combination of llseek(2) and read(2) or write(2). ERRORS
EFAULT Occurs when trying to write(2) a read-only location (allkmem), read(2) a write-only location (allkmem), or read(2) or write(2) a non-existent or unimplemented location (mem, kmem, allkmem). EIO Occurs when trying to read(2) or write(2) a memory location that is associated with an I/O device using the /dev/kmem special file. ENXIO Results from attempting to mmap(2) a non-existent physical (mem) or virtual (kmem, allkmem) memory address. FILES
/dev/mem Provides access to the computer's physical memory. /dev/kmem Provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, excluding memory that is associated with an I/O device. /dev/allkmem Provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, including memory that is associated with an I/O device. SEE ALSO
llseek(2), mmap(2), read(2), write(2) WARNINGS
Using these devices to modify (that is, write to) the address space of a live running operating system or to modify the state of a hardware device is extremely dangerous and may result in a system panic if kernel data structures are damaged or if device state is changed. SunOS 5.11 18 Feb 2002 mem(7D)