Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Arduino UNIX Time - Syncing Computer UNIX Time to Arduino Time with Python Post 303042410 by Neo on Tuesday 24th of December 2019 12:20:18 AM
Old 12-24-2019
Here is the Python 2.7.16 code I quickly put together to send unix time to the Arduino UNO.

I assume it also works on Python3, but I have not tested it because I have not completely upgrade python on my mac pro yet, sorry about that.

Code:
# -----------------------------------------------------------
# Sync Unix Time with Arduino Initial Draft 0.1
# Written on macOS, tested with Python 2.7.16
# Neo, December 2019
# This code needs refinement to be more general
# I will improve this code later when I need to use it in an Arduino project
# For now, it works "OK" and serves it purpose
# Feel free to improve, modify as you like.
# -----------------------------------------------------------
import serial
import time

ser = serial.Serial(
    port='/dev/cu.usbserial-40',  #change this for your device
    baudrate=9600,
    parity=serial.PARITY_NONE,
    stopbits=serial.STOPBITS_ONE,
    bytesize=serial.EIGHTBITS,
    timeout=0)

print("connected to: " + ser.portstr)

# this will store the line
line = []
ux = 0
a = False
debugScript = False
offset = 2 .  #adjust this time offset (in seconds) to account for various time delays in script and transferring via the serial port, etc. to insure the Arduino is in closer sync to the computer
time_int = 1000  # this can be any number greater than zero and less than recent unix time
count = 0
while True:
    if debugScript:
        print(str(int(time.time())))
    for c in ser.read():
        if not a:
            if ux < time_int:
                ser.write("T")
                ux = int(time.time())+offset
                ser.write(str(ux))
                ser.write("\n")
                ser.flush()
                if debugScript:
                    print("unixtime: " + str(ux))
        line.append(c)
        count += 1
        if c == '\n':
            print("Line("+str(count)+"): " + ''.join(line))
            x = int(time.time())+offset
            print("time("+str(count)+"): " + str(x) + "\n")
            line = []
            a = True
            break
ser.close()

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me!First time use UNIX.

I am assigned a programming work.It is my first time to use unix. The task is writing a shell script to interrogate the university Unix operating system to determine the number of "Runnable" processes at any given time.Then append the result,along with a time-stamp,on a log file. Also there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How To Provide Time Sync Using Nts-150 Time Server On Unix Network?

can anybody tel lme,how to instal NTS -150 on a unix network,it needs some patch to fetch time frm serve,,?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pesty
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Unix Time to Standard Time

I have a list of interfaces and time the interface was last active. I can't figure out how to convert the time in the second column, Fa1/14 0 Se0/0/0 0 Fa1/11 0 Fa1/9 0 Fa1/0 0 Se0/0/1 1240401408 Gi1/0 0 Fa0/0 1240401408 Fa1/3 0 Fa1/8 0 Fa1/15 0 Fa1/13 0 Fa1/10 0 Fa1/1 0 Fa1/12... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix time

how do i convert unix time to show normal eg i have unix time 1297702242 and i want it converted to normal time. how do i do that (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzinga80
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get time duration between two human readable time stamp in Unix?

Here is two time I have: Jul 12 16:02:01 Jul 13 01:02:01 and how can I do a simple match to get difference between two time which is 09:00:00 Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ford99
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting string date time to unix time in AWK

I'd like to convert a date string in the form of sun aug 19 09:03:10 EDT 2012, to unixtime timestamp using awk. I tried This is how each line of the file looks like, different date and time in this format Sun Aug 19 08:33:45 EDT 2012, user1(108.6.217.236) all: test on the 17th ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkkid
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding time to date time in UNIX shell scipting

I needed some help in adding a duration (in seconds) to a start time (in hhmmss format) and a start date (in mmddyy format) in order to get an end date and end time. The concept of a leap year is also to be considered while incrementing the day. The code/ function that I have formed so far is as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: codehelp04
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTC time into current UNIX sever time zone

Hi guys thanks for the help for my previous posts.Now i have a requirement that i download a XMl file which has UTC time stamp.I need to convert UTC time into Unix server timezone. For ex if the time zone of unix server is CDT then i need to convert into CDT.whatever may be the system time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
5 Replies

9. Programming

Arduino-cli - Uploading to Unknown Chinese Arduino Boards using the Arduino Command Line Interface

In my further exploration of Arduino, today I decided to install the arduino-cli on my mac today. https://github.com/arduino/arduino-cli I followed the instructions for macOS but when I got to this part: arduino-cli board list I got the dreaded "Unknown" Fully Qualified Board Name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies
ldns-read-zone(1)					      General Commands Manual						 ldns-read-zone(1)

NAME
ldns-read-zone - read a zonefile and print it SYNOPSIS
ldns-read-zone ZONEFILE DESCRIPTION
ldns-read-zone reads a DNS zone file and prints it. The output has 1 resource record per line, and no pretty-printing makeup. OPTIONS
-c Canonicalize all resource records in the zone before printing -d Only print DNSSEC data from the zone. This option skips every record that is not of type NSEC, NSEC3, RRSIG or DNSKEY. DS records are not printed. -b Include Bubble Babble encoding of DS's. -0 Print a (null) for the RRSIG inception, expiry and key data. This option can be used when comparing different signing systems that use the same DNSKEYs for signing but would have a slightly different timings/jitter. -h Show usage and exit -n Do not print the SOA record -p Pad the SOA serial number with spaces so the number and the spaces together take ten characters. This is useful for in file serial number increments. -s Strip DNSSEC data from the zone. This option skips every record that is of type NSEC, NSEC3, RRSIG or DNSKEY. DS records are still printed. -S [[+|0]number | YYYYMMDDxx | unixtime ] Set serial number to the given number, or when preceded by a sign, offset the exisiting number with it. When giving the literal strings YYYYMMDDxx or unixtime, the serial number is tried to be reset in datecounter or in unixtime format respectively. Though is the updated serial number is smaller than the original one, the original one is simply increased by one. When updating a serial number, records of type NSEC, NSEC3, RRSIG and DNSKEY will be skipped when printing the zone. -v Show the version and exit -z Sort the zone before printing (this implies -c) AUTHOR
Written by the ldns team as an example for ldns usage. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <ldns-team@nlnetlabs.nl>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005 NLnet Labs. This is free software. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. 30 May 2005 ldns-read-zone(1)