Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Arduino UNIX Time - Syncing Computer UNIX Time to Arduino Time with Python Post 303042410 by Neo on Tuesday 24th of December 2019 12:20:18 AM
Old 12-24-2019
Here is the Python 2.7.16 code I quickly put together to send unix time to the Arduino UNO.

I assume it also works on Python3, but I have not tested it because I have not completely upgrade python on my mac pro yet, sorry about that.

Code:
# -----------------------------------------------------------
# Sync Unix Time with Arduino Initial Draft 0.1
# Written on macOS, tested with Python 2.7.16
# Neo, December 2019
# This code needs refinement to be more general
# I will improve this code later when I need to use it in an Arduino project
# For now, it works "OK" and serves it purpose
# Feel free to improve, modify as you like.
# -----------------------------------------------------------
import serial
import time

ser = serial.Serial(
    port='/dev/cu.usbserial-40',  #change this for your device
    baudrate=9600,
    parity=serial.PARITY_NONE,
    stopbits=serial.STOPBITS_ONE,
    bytesize=serial.EIGHTBITS,
    timeout=0)

print("connected to: " + ser.portstr)

# this will store the line
line = []
ux = 0
a = False
debugScript = False
offset = 2 .  #adjust this time offset (in seconds) to account for various time delays in script and transferring via the serial port, etc. to insure the Arduino is in closer sync to the computer
time_int = 1000  # this can be any number greater than zero and less than recent unix time
count = 0
while True:
    if debugScript:
        print(str(int(time.time())))
    for c in ser.read():
        if not a:
            if ux < time_int:
                ser.write("T")
                ux = int(time.time())+offset
                ser.write(str(ux))
                ser.write("\n")
                ser.flush()
                if debugScript:
                    print("unixtime: " + str(ux))
        line.append(c)
        count += 1
        if c == '\n':
            print("Line("+str(count)+"): " + ''.join(line))
            x = int(time.time())+offset
            print("time("+str(count)+"): " + str(x) + "\n")
            line = []
            a = True
            break
ser.close()

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me!First time use UNIX.

I am assigned a programming work.It is my first time to use unix. The task is writing a shell script to interrogate the university Unix operating system to determine the number of "Runnable" processes at any given time.Then append the result,along with a time-stamp,on a log file. Also there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How To Provide Time Sync Using Nts-150 Time Server On Unix Network?

can anybody tel lme,how to instal NTS -150 on a unix network,it needs some patch to fetch time frm serve,,?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pesty
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Unix Time to Standard Time

I have a list of interfaces and time the interface was last active. I can't figure out how to convert the time in the second column, Fa1/14 0 Se0/0/0 0 Fa1/11 0 Fa1/9 0 Fa1/0 0 Se0/0/1 1240401408 Gi1/0 0 Fa0/0 1240401408 Fa1/3 0 Fa1/8 0 Fa1/15 0 Fa1/13 0 Fa1/10 0 Fa1/1 0 Fa1/12... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix time

how do i convert unix time to show normal eg i have unix time 1297702242 and i want it converted to normal time. how do i do that (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzinga80
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get time duration between two human readable time stamp in Unix?

Here is two time I have: Jul 12 16:02:01 Jul 13 01:02:01 and how can I do a simple match to get difference between two time which is 09:00:00 Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ford99
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting string date time to unix time in AWK

I'd like to convert a date string in the form of sun aug 19 09:03:10 EDT 2012, to unixtime timestamp using awk. I tried This is how each line of the file looks like, different date and time in this format Sun Aug 19 08:33:45 EDT 2012, user1(108.6.217.236) all: test on the 17th ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkkid
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding time to date time in UNIX shell scipting

I needed some help in adding a duration (in seconds) to a start time (in hhmmss format) and a start date (in mmddyy format) in order to get an end date and end time. The concept of a leap year is also to be considered while incrementing the day. The code/ function that I have formed so far is as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: codehelp04
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTC time into current UNIX sever time zone

Hi guys thanks for the help for my previous posts.Now i have a requirement that i download a XMl file which has UTC time stamp.I need to convert UTC time into Unix server timezone. For ex if the time zone of unix server is CDT then i need to convert into CDT.whatever may be the system time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
5 Replies

9. Programming

Arduino-cli - Uploading to Unknown Chinese Arduino Boards using the Arduino Command Line Interface

In my further exploration of Arduino, today I decided to install the arduino-cli on my mac today. https://github.com/arduino/arduino-cli I followed the instructions for macOS but when I got to this part: arduino-cli board list I got the dreaded "Unknown" Fully Qualified Board Name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies
ARD-PARSE-BOARDS(1)					      General Commands Manual					       ARD-PARSE-BOARDS(1)

NAME
ard-parse-boards - Read data from the Arduino boards.txt file USAGE
Dump all the data in the file: $ ard-parse-boards --dump See which boards we know about: $ ard-parse-boards --boards Look for a particular board... $ ard-parse-boards --find uno multiple terms are implicitly ANDed: $ ard-parse-boards --find duemil 328 Dump all the data for a particular board: $ ard-parse-boards atmega328 Extract a particular field: $ ard-parse-boards atmega328 build.f_cpu DESCRIPTION
The Arduino software package ships with a boards.txt file which tells the Arduino IDE details about particular hardware. So when the user says he's got a shiny new Arduino Uno, boards.txt knows that it has a 16MHz ATmega328 on it. It would be nice to access these data from the command line too. In normal operation you simply specify the tag given to the board in the boards.txt file, and optionally a field name. This program then extracts the data to STDOUT. Most boards have names which are quite unwieldy, so we always refer to a board by a tag, not its name. Strictly the tag is the bit before the first dot in the boards.txt key. You can see a list of board tags and names with the "--boards" option. OPTIONS
--boards_txt=[file] Specify the full path to the boards.txt file. The following options all disable the normal 'lookup' operation. --dump Dump the complete database in YAML format. --boards Print a list of the tag and name of every board in the file. --find [query] <query> ... Find matching data. Strictly, return a list of values which match all of the query terms, treating each term as a case-insensitive regexp. For example: --find 328 List data containing 328 (anywhere in the value). --find due List data containing 'due' (e.g. duemilanove). --find 328 due List data containing both 328 and due. BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
There are no known bugs in this application. Please report problems to the author. Patches are welcome. AUTHOR
Martin Oldfield, ex-atelier@mjo.tc Thanks to Mark Sproul who suggested doing something like this to me ages ago. LICENSE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011, Martin Oldfield. All rights reserved. This file is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. MAY 2012 ARD-PARSE-BOARDS(1)