Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Arduino UNIX Time - Syncing Computer UNIX Time to Arduino Time with Python Post 303042409 by Neo on Monday 23rd of December 2019 11:53:59 PM
Old 12-24-2019
Here is a quick sketch I put together for the Arduino UNO to get the unix time from the usb serial port and sync the Arduino time to the computer (in my case macos).

This sketch works but needs more refinement (trap errors, disconnects, add options, etc) but since I will not be doing much with this for the next few weeks, I post the first working draft below and will also post the python script I use on macos soon:

Code:
/*
  Sync UNIX Time with Computer and
  LCD Display with I2C on Arduino UN0
  Rough Draft 0.1  (needs improvements)
  Neo December 2019
  https://www.unix.com
*/

// Include Wire Library for I2C
#include <Wire.h>
// Include NewLiquidCrystal Library for I2C
#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>
#include <Time.h>
#include <TimeLib.h>

#define TIME_MSG_LEN 11 // time sync to PC is HEADER followed by Unix time_t as ten ASCII digits
#define TIME_HEADER 'T' // Header tag for serial time sync message
#define TIME_REQUEST 7  // ASCII bell character requests a time sync message
#define DEBUG_SKETCH false
// Define LCD pinout
const int en = 2, rw = 1, rs = 0, d4 = 4, d5 = 5, d6 = 6, d7 = 7, bl = 3;
// can be any integer greater than zero and less than recent unix time
const int time_int = 1000;
// Define I2C Address - change if reqiuired
const int i2c_addr = 0x27;
String s;
bool flag = true;
time_t t = now();
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(i2c_addr, en, rw, rs, d4, d5, d6, d7, bl, POSITIVE);
void setup()
{
    Serial.begin(9600);
    Wire.begin();
    time_t t = now();
    lcd.begin(16, 2);
    lcd.clear();
}

void loop()
{
    lcd.clear();
    int count = 0;
    if (Serial.available() and flag)
    {
        lcd.clear();
        lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
        lcd.print("Serial OK");
        count = processSyncMessage();
        if (DEBUG_SKETCH)
        {
               Serial.println("Serial Available: " + count);
        }
        if (count > time_int)
            flag = false;
    }

lcd.setCursor(0, 0);
    if (timeStatus() == timeNotSet)
    {
        if (flag)
        {
            Serial.println("waiting for sync message");
            lcd.print("Arduino Time:");
        }
    }
    else
    {

lcd.print("Unix Time:");
        if (DEBUG_SKETCH)
        {
            Serial.println("Time Synced");
        }
    }
    t = now();
    s = String(t);
    if (s != '0')
    {
        lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
        lcd.print(t);
        lcd.print(" secs");
    }
    Serial.println(s);
    delay(1000);
    lcd.clear();
}

int processSyncMessage()
{
    while (Serial.available() >= TIME_MSG_LEN)
    { // time message consists of header & 10 ASCII digits
        char c = Serial.read();
        int count = 0;
        Serial.print(c);
        time_t pctime = 0;
        if (c == TIME_HEADER)
        {
            for (int i = 0; i < TIME_MSG_LEN - 1; i++)
            {
                c = Serial.read();
                if (c >= '0' && c <= '9')
                {
                    Serial.print(c);
                    count++;
                    pctime = (10 * pctime) + (c - '0'); // convert digits to a number
                }
            }
            Serial.print("\n");
            if (DEBUG_SKETCH)
            {
                Serial.write(pctime + "\n");
                Serial.println(pctime);
            }
            setTime(pctime); // Sync Arduino clock to the time received on the serial port
        }
        return count;
    }
}

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me!First time use UNIX.

I am assigned a programming work.It is my first time to use unix. The task is writing a shell script to interrogate the university Unix operating system to determine the number of "Runnable" processes at any given time.Then append the result,along with a time-stamp,on a log file. Also there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How To Provide Time Sync Using Nts-150 Time Server On Unix Network?

can anybody tel lme,how to instal NTS -150 on a unix network,it needs some patch to fetch time frm serve,,?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pesty
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Unix Time to Standard Time

I have a list of interfaces and time the interface was last active. I can't figure out how to convert the time in the second column, Fa1/14 0 Se0/0/0 0 Fa1/11 0 Fa1/9 0 Fa1/0 0 Se0/0/1 1240401408 Gi1/0 0 Fa0/0 1240401408 Fa1/3 0 Fa1/8 0 Fa1/15 0 Fa1/13 0 Fa1/10 0 Fa1/1 0 Fa1/12... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix time

how do i convert unix time to show normal eg i have unix time 1297702242 and i want it converted to normal time. how do i do that (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzinga80
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get time duration between two human readable time stamp in Unix?

Here is two time I have: Jul 12 16:02:01 Jul 13 01:02:01 and how can I do a simple match to get difference between two time which is 09:00:00 Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ford99
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting string date time to unix time in AWK

I'd like to convert a date string in the form of sun aug 19 09:03:10 EDT 2012, to unixtime timestamp using awk. I tried This is how each line of the file looks like, different date and time in this format Sun Aug 19 08:33:45 EDT 2012, user1(108.6.217.236) all: test on the 17th ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkkid
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding time to date time in UNIX shell scipting

I needed some help in adding a duration (in seconds) to a start time (in hhmmss format) and a start date (in mmddyy format) in order to get an end date and end time. The concept of a leap year is also to be considered while incrementing the day. The code/ function that I have formed so far is as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: codehelp04
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTC time into current UNIX sever time zone

Hi guys thanks for the help for my previous posts.Now i have a requirement that i download a XMl file which has UTC time stamp.I need to convert UTC time into Unix server timezone. For ex if the time zone of unix server is CDT then i need to convert into CDT.whatever may be the system time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
5 Replies

9. Programming

Arduino-cli - Uploading to Unknown Chinese Arduino Boards using the Arduino Command Line Interface

In my further exploration of Arduino, today I decided to install the arduino-cli on my mac today. https://github.com/arduino/arduino-cli I followed the instructions for macOS but when I got to this part: arduino-cli board list I got the dreaded "Unknown" Fully Qualified Board Name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies
pfsdisplayfunction(1)					      General Commands Manual					     pfsdisplayfunction(1)

NAME
pfsdisplayfunction - Apply display function to color or gray-scale images SYNOPSIS
pfsdisplayfunction [--display-function <df-spec>] [--to-pixels | --to-luminance] [--help] [--verbose] DESCRIPTION
Use this command to convert pixel values to luminance / radiance units displayed on a monitor or to perform inverse conversion. This com- mand is useful in combination with the HDR-VDP to convert LDR images to luminance maps representing images shown on a particular display. The display function specification is identical to the specification used in the pfstmo_mantiuk08 tone mapping operator (from the pfstmo package). If neither --to-luminance nor --to-pixels option is specified, the appropriate conversion direction will be deducted from the LUMINANCE tag in the pfs stream. OPTIONS
--to-luminance, -l Convert pixel values to absolute luminance / radiance units. For RGB images the same display function is applied in each color chan- nel. --to-pixels, -p Convert absolute luminance / radiance units to pixel values. For RGB images the same display function is applied in each color chan- nel. --display-function <df-spec>, -d <df-spec> The display function describes how output luminance of a display changes with pixel values. If no parameter is given, the command assumes -df pd=lcd (see Pre-defined display below). There are several ways to specify the display function: Gamma-gain-black-ambient display model g=<float>:l=<float>:b=<float>:k=<float>:a=<float>[:n=<float>] Gamma-gain-black-ambient model can approximate a range of displays and is a compact way to specify a display function. It assumes that a display function has the following form: L_d(I) = (l-b)*I^gamma + b + k/pi*a The parameters are as follows: g - gamma or exponent of a display function (default 2.2, usually from 1.8 to 2.8) l - peak luminance of a display in cd/m^2 (default 100, from 80 for CRTs to 500 or more for newer displays) b - black level, which is luminance of a black pixel when the display is on (default 1, usually from 0.3 to 1 cd/m^2) k - reflectivity of a screen (assuming that it is diffuse) (default 0.01, usually about 0.01 (1%) for LCD displays, more for CRTs) a - ambient illumination in lux. Typical values are: 50 lux Family living room (dim, default) 400 lux A brightly lit office 32000 lux Sunlight on an average day (min.) 100000 lux Sunlight on an average day (max.) Pre-defined display pd=<display_type> Use pre-defined display type. This options are for convenience only and they do not mean to accurately model the response of a par- ticular display. The following display types are recognized: lcd_office (g=2.2, l=100, b=0.8, k=0.01, a=400 ) lcd set to "office" mode seen in bright environment lcd (g=2.2, l=200, b=0.8, k=0.01, a=60 ) typical lcd seen in dim environment (default) lcd_bright (g=2.6, l=500, b=0.5, k=0.01, a=10 ) newer LCD TV seen in dark environment crt (g=2.2, l=80, b=1, k=0.02, a=60 ) CRT monitor seen in dim environment The parameters in the parenthesis are the same as for the gamma-gain-black-ambient model explained above. Lookup-table lut=<file> This is the most accurate specification of the display response function, but requires measuring it with a luminance meter. The lookup table should account also for ambient light, so that it is recommended to use the luminance meter that can measure screen luminance from a distance, such as Minolta LS-100 (as opposed to those that use rubber tube touching a display that eliminates the influence of ambient light). The <file> must be a comma-separated text file in a format (CSV) with two columns: first column repre- sents pixel values (from 0.0 to 1.0) and the second physical luminance in cd/m^2. Both the pixel value and the luminance should increase in each raw. EXAMPLES
pfsin barbara.jpg | pfsdisplayfunction -l -d pd:crt -v | pfsout barbara_crt.hdr Convert barbara.jpg image from pixel values to a luminance map of the image shown on a CRT monitor and store the map as an HDR image. SEE ALSO
pfsgamma(1) pfstmo_mantiuk08(1) BUGS
Please report bugs and comments to the pfstools discussion group (http://groups.google.com/group/pfstools). pfsdisplayfunction(1)