Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Dell XPS M1330 doesn't detect optical drive Post 303042118 by hicksd8 on Sunday 15th of December 2019 11:23:33 AM
Old 12-15-2019
Also, I suppose that the new mobo could have a different BIOS to the old one and now has an option to switch off the optical device.

Are the BIOS versions of the old and new mobo's the same?

If the 'new' mobo has an old BIOS perhaps you need to upgrade it.

Last edited by hicksd8; 12-16-2019 at 08:22 AM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Magneto-Optical drive for SCO Openserver 5.0.5

Hi, I tried to install Magneto-Optical (MO) drive Fujutsu to COMPAQ Proliant ML350 with SCO Openserver 5.0.5. Harddisk and MO are connected to Adaptec UW-SCSI-3 (driver ad160). During boot process system shows me that MO is connected to host adapter 1, bus 0, SCSI ID 1 and LUN 0. But when I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yurist
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to set up an optical drive

Trying to get my unix system to recognize an optical drive, it was delivered to us, so we assumed it worked, in the 2 years since no one ever has used it, we want to now. However, even running probe-scsi-all doesn't bring up that drive. It's a scsi address of 3, at the end of the chain, all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why getopts doesn't detect correctly my switches?

Dear all, I have created a KornShell script containing swiches with getopts (command line switches). Normally, my script should work like this: $ ./myscript.ksh -a 12 -b 4 -c 78 The switch a was selected with the argument 12 The switch b was selected with the argument 4 The switch c was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
3 Replies

4. Solaris

cannot detect NIC card on dell vostro 1500

i installed solaris 5.10 on dell vostro 1500...but it does not detect interface card....i need to pratice networking concepts ............please help me in this regard... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek_ng
1 Replies

5. Hardware

is rhel 6 compatible with dell xps 14

is rhel 6 compatible with dell xps 14.I tried to install it but could not install.Installation hanged at detecting hardware (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamapraveen
1 Replies

6. AIX

AIX doesn't detect TS3200 tape library

Hi all, I have a problem here root@host1 / # lsdev -Cc tape rmt0 Defined 07-00-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP) rmt1 Defined 07-00-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP) smc0 Defined 07-00-02 IBM 3573 Tape Medium Changer (FCP) root@host1 / # cfgmgr -l fcs2 Method error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't detect my second monitor

I have Ubuntu 16.04 (dual boot with Windows 10) and a HP Spectre x360 laptop. I have recently bought a Dell Ultrasharp U2515H monitor, which I connect via a Dell docking station. When I plug the docking station to my laptop on Windows, both monitors are detected and everything works fine. ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: twelth_hour
23 Replies
ACPIVGA(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						ACPIVGA(4)

NAME
acpivga -- ACPI Display Adapter and Output Devices SYNOPSIS
acpivga* at acpi? acpiout* at acpivga? DESCRIPTION
The acpivga driver provides generic support for brightness control and output switching, through ACPI video extensions. The ACPI specifica- tion requires that systems containing a built-in display adapter implement these extensions in their ACPI BIOS. The driver handles brightness hotkeys and display switch hotkeys. In addition, the following sysctl(8) read/write variables are provided (when hardware support is available): hw.acpi.acpivga0.bios_switch BIOS output switching policy. This boolean variable controls the behavior of the BIOS when a display switch hotkey is pressed. 1 the BIOS should automatically switch outputs, with no interaction from acpivga. 0 the BIOS should only notify acpivga of the desired output state changes. hw.acpi.acpiout0.brightness Brightness level. This integer variable typically ranges from 0 to 100, but any integer value is accepted (the driver uses the clos- est brightness level supported by the device). Please note, however, that future versions of acpivga may remove these sysctl(8) variables without prior notice. SEE ALSO
acpi(4), vga(4), sysctl(8) Microsoft Corporation, Mobile System Displays and Windows, Version 1.2c, http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/mobiledisplay.mspx, December 4, 2001. HISTORY
The acpivga driver appeared in NetBSD 6.0. AUTHORS
Gregoire Sutre <gsutre@NetBSD.org> CAVEATS
The acpivga driver only supports PCI/PCI-X/PCI-E display adapters. Many ACPI BIOSes implement only part of the ACPI video extensions. In particular, display output switching via these extensions often does not work. For this reason, acpivga enables hw.acpi.acpivga0.bios_switch by default. If the display switch hotkey does not work with this default setting, try setting hw.acpi.acpivga0.bios_switch to 0. Brightness level should be controlled via wsconsctl(8) instead of sysctl(8). BSD
October 28, 2010 BSD