Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to insert a string and variable at specified position in command in bash? Post 303042115 by cmccabe on Sunday 15th of December 2019 10:06:38 AM
Old 12-15-2019
How to insert a string and variable at specified position in command in bash?

I currently have a loop that reads all .bam files in a directory (wont always be 4 like in this example,
into $id. What I am trying to do, unsucessfully, is create specific new lines in an exsisting command using
each $id. Each new line would be:
Code:
--bam ${id} \

Tried
Code:
p=$dir
/path/to/xxx.py \
text="$(--bam ${id \})"
text="${text:0:p}j${text:p}"  ## insert text for each $p
     --ref /path/to/file \
     --run /ptah/to/data

directory
Code:
s1.bam
s2.bam
s3.bam
s4.bam

standard command
Code:
/path/to/xxx.py \
     --bam ${id}.bam \
     --ref /path/to/file \
     --run /ptah/to/data

desired command
Code:
/path/to/xxx.py \
     --bam s1.bam \
	 --bam s2.bam \
	 --bam s3.bam \
	 --bam s4.bam \
	 --ref /path/to/file \
     --run /path/to/data

Last edited by cmccabe; 12-15-2019 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: fixed format

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a position and print some string in the next and same position

I need a script for... how to find a position of column data and print some string in the next line and same position position should find based on *HEADER8* in text for ex: ord123 abs 123 987HEADER89 test234 ord124 abc 124 987HEADER88 test235 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveenkcl
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a line and insert string into specific at position

Hi, guys. I have one question: How can I search for a line with certain string in it and then insert a string into this line? For example: There is a file called shadow, the contents of it are below: ************************** ... yuanz:VIRADxMsadfDF/Q:0:0:50:7:::... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert charactera in 1st position of specific lines using vi editor or sed command

Dear all, i am having text file like below surya rama ranga laxman rajesh reddy i want add string (OK) before a text from line 3 to 5 the result will be surya rama OK ranga OK laxman OK rajesh reddy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need command or script to print all lines from 2nd position to last but one position

hi guys, i want command or script to display the content of file from 2nd position to last but one position of a file abcdefghdasdasdsd 123,345,678,345,323 434,656,656,656,656 678,878,878,989,545 4565656667,65656 i want to display the same above file without first and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash: Insert in a variable a file

hi all i have a problem in the bash shell. i'd like insert in a variable a file for example : i have a file datafine.log in this file there is : 17/JUN/2019 i want to insert the value of datafine.log in a variable. Regards Frncesco edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags for your data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Francesco_IT
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to insert subnode in xml file using xmlstarlet or any other bash command?

I have multiple xml files where i want to update a subnode if the subnode project points to different project or insert a subnode if it doesn't exist using a xmlstarlet or any other command that can be used in a bash script. I have been able to update the subnode project if it doesn't point to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
1 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)