Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell Script - Alphabet in code Post 303042017 by vbe on Wednesday 11th of December 2019 10:23:36 AM
Old 12-11-2019
Welcome on board!

Thanks in applying our rules, not often we see newcomers doing that from the beginning...
Now, for what reason is your code a one liner? Do you think people will loose time going through such a line?
Making your code easy to read will have far more success...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

What can i do to check that the input is all alphabet.. ?

What can i do to check that the input is all alphabet.. ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: XXXXXXXXXX
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check if the first character is a alphabet or number

Hi, I need to find whether the first character in a line is a alphabet or a number. If its a number i should sort it numerically. If its a alphabet i should sort it based on the ASCII value.And if it is something other than alphabet or number then sort it based on ASCII value. The code i used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find the second occurence of the alphabet in a string

this is my assignment question. i'm supposed to submit it tommorow. can somebody please help me with it? Do not post homework questions in the main forums. Please post in the homework forum using the correct template. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijjy
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alphabet counting

I have a text file in the following format CCCCCGCCCCCCCCCCcCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC AAAATAAAAAAAAAAAaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA TGTTTTTTTTTTTTGGtTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTT-TTTTTTTTTCTtTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Each row/line will have 32 letters and each line will only have multiple occurrences of 2 letters out of a pool... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

last character is digit or alphabet!

Hello, I have to find out whether the last character is digit or alphabet. I manage to strip the last character but would need some help if there is one liner available to test the above. set x = WM echo $x | sed 's/.*\(.$\)/\1/' O/P M I would like a one liner code to test whether the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dixits
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recode alphabet into numbers

I have a genotype.bim file where it contains information about SNPs and genotype. As a hypothetical example, let's say genotype.bim snp1 ... A G snp2 ... G T snp3 ... G T snp4 ... G A ... snpN ... C G where first column identifies each SNP and 5th and 6th column has genotype... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort alphabet on specific column

Input file: POL B7U6K8 Avian_reticuloendotheliosis_virus POLB B7Z1W5 Homo_sapiens POLB H9G5Y0 Anolis_carolinensis POLD1 Q642R8 Xenopus_laevis POLD2 H0YZC7 Taeniopygia_guttata POLD3 F1P540 Gallus_gallus POLDIP3 Q5F4B6 Gallus_gallus POLE2 E1C2T8 Gallus_gallus... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Shell script code

Hello all, I am in a middle of an assignment and i would appreciate any help. How can i write a bash shell script code that checks if all elements in an array are the same numbers. I mean -->array = ( 0,0,0,0,0 ) ( e.g., if then return "OK' fi ) Thank you in advance, (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geekie
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture the exit code of a shell script in a perl script.?

hi, i want to pop up an alert box using perl script. my requirement is. i am using a html page which calls a perl script. this perl script calls a shell script.. after the shell script ends its execution, i am using exit 0 to terminate the shell script successfully and exit 1 to terminate the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional for every letter in alphabet

I wanted to know if there was a more efficient to do this. I was to setup a conditional for every letter of the alphabet, like so (I am parsing an array): for i in "${arr}"; do if ]; then echo "$i starts with A" else echo "$i does not start with A" fi done I want to do this A-Z, is there... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudo
6 Replies
BOGGLE(6)							 BSD Games Manual							 BOGGLE(6)

NAME
boggle -- word search game SYNOPSIS
boggle [-bd] [-s seed] [-t time] [-w length] [+ [+]] [boardspec] DESCRIPTION
The object of boggle is to find as many words as possible on the Boggle board within the three minute time limit. A Boggle board is a four by four arrangement of Boggle cubes, each side of each cube displaying a letter of the alphabet or `qu'. Words are formed by finding a sequence of cubes (letters) that are in the game's dictionary. The (N+1)th cube in the word must be horizontally, vertically, or diagonally adjacent to the Nth cube. Cubes cannot be reused. Words consist solely of lower case letters and must be at least 3 letters long. Command line flags can be given to change the rules of the game. -b Run boggle in batch mode. A boardspec must also be given. The dictionary is read from stdin and a list of words appearing in boardspec is printed to stdout. -d Enable debugging output. -s seed Specify a seed seed other than the time of day. -t time Set the time limit for each game from the default 3 minutes to time seconds. -w length Change the minimum word length from 3 letters to length. + This flag allows a cube to be used multiple times, but not in succession. ++ This flag allows the same cubes to be considered adjacent to itself. boardspec A starting board position can be specified on the command line by listing the board left to right and top to bottom. Help is available during play by typing '?'. More detailed information on the game is given there. AUTHORS
Boggle is a trademark of Parker Brothers. Barry Brachman Dept. of Computer Science University of British Columbia BUGS
If there are a great many words in the cube the final display of the words may scroll off of the screen. (On a 25 line screen about 130 words can be displayed.) No word can contain a 'q' that is not immediately followed by a 'u'. When using the + or ++ options the display of words found in the board doesn't indicate reused cubes. The dictionary that NetBSD installs omits many words that belong in the English language, most notably inflected forms. BSD
September 23, 2006 BSD