Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Dell XPS M1330 doesn't detect optical drive Post 303041991 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 10th of December 2019 11:36:06 AM
Old 12-10-2019
I'm thinking...............

1. Perhaps the new mobo is faulty as far as this peripheral is concerned
2. Have you accidentally bent a pin on the mobo socket where this device plugs in?
3. Does the mobo have a jumper wrongly set to enable this device? (Compare to old mobo)
4. Is there a separate power connector for this device which you forgot to connect? (Probably not if it's whirring)

Can you connect this optical to another system temporarily just to check that it's working?

If the system BIOS can't see it then you have no hope until it does.

Last edited by hicksd8; 12-10-2019 at 01:04 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Magneto-Optical drive for SCO Openserver 5.0.5

Hi, I tried to install Magneto-Optical (MO) drive Fujutsu to COMPAQ Proliant ML350 with SCO Openserver 5.0.5. Harddisk and MO are connected to Adaptec UW-SCSI-3 (driver ad160). During boot process system shows me that MO is connected to host adapter 1, bus 0, SCSI ID 1 and LUN 0. But when I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yurist
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to set up an optical drive

Trying to get my unix system to recognize an optical drive, it was delivered to us, so we assumed it worked, in the 2 years since no one ever has used it, we want to now. However, even running probe-scsi-all doesn't bring up that drive. It's a scsi address of 3, at the end of the chain, all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why getopts doesn't detect correctly my switches?

Dear all, I have created a KornShell script containing swiches with getopts (command line switches). Normally, my script should work like this: $ ./myscript.ksh -a 12 -b 4 -c 78 The switch a was selected with the argument 12 The switch b was selected with the argument 4 The switch c was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
3 Replies

4. Solaris

cannot detect NIC card on dell vostro 1500

i installed solaris 5.10 on dell vostro 1500...but it does not detect interface card....i need to pratice networking concepts ............please help me in this regard... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek_ng
1 Replies

5. Hardware

is rhel 6 compatible with dell xps 14

is rhel 6 compatible with dell xps 14.I tried to install it but could not install.Installation hanged at detecting hardware (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamapraveen
1 Replies

6. AIX

AIX doesn't detect TS3200 tape library

Hi all, I have a problem here root@host1 / # lsdev -Cc tape rmt0 Defined 07-00-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP) rmt1 Defined 07-00-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP) smc0 Defined 07-00-02 IBM 3573 Tape Medium Changer (FCP) root@host1 / # cfgmgr -l fcs2 Method error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't detect my second monitor

I have Ubuntu 16.04 (dual boot with Windows 10) and a HP Spectre x360 laptop. I have recently bought a Dell Ultrasharp U2515H monitor, which I connect via a Dell docking station. When I plug the docking station to my laptop on Windows, both monitors are detected and everything works fine. ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: twelth_hour
23 Replies
HAL-DISABLE-POLLING(1)					      General Commands Manual					    HAL-DISABLE-POLLING(1)

NAME
hal-disable-polling - disable polling on drives with removable media SYNOPSIS
hal-disable-polling [options] DESCRIPTION
hal-disable-polling can be used to to disable and enable media detection on drives with removable storage. For more information about both the big picture and specific HAL properties, refer to the HAL spec which can be found in /usr/local/share/doc/hal/spec/hal-spec.html depending on the distribution. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --udi The UDI (Unique Device Identifier) of the device object. --device The device file of the drive. --enable-polling Enable polling instead of disabling it. --help Print out usage. --version Print the version. NOTES
This program requires super user privileges. RETURN VALUE
If the requested operation was successful, this program will exit with exit code 0. HISTORY
Polling a storage drive is a necessary evil to detect when the user inserts or removes media. Human computer interaction studies have shown that a broad class of users expect their system to react within a few seconds of this. Thus, the hald daemon polls through the hald-addon- storage addon (one instance for each drive with removable media). The purpose of the hald-addon-storage addon is simply to open the special device file at a regular interval (either every 2 or every 16 seconds) to check for new media. This program tries to open the device file using the O_EXCL option which means that programs like cdrecord(1) that uses O_EXCL automatically prevents the hald-addon-storage for interferring by continously opening the device file. In addition, if the drive is locked using HAL (see hal-lock(1)) the addon also stops polling. Unfortunately, polling a storage drive can have adverse side effects if the hardware and/or device driver for the hardware is malfunction- ing. Additionally, the operating system kernel itself may offer multiple interfaces for the same device (e.g. /dev/sg0 and /dev/scd0) so even O_EXCL won't work. Also, polling a drive may decrease throughput in certain (odd and/or broken) configurations; for example, if two IDE drives shares the same host (master/slave), bus traffic and contention caused by polling e.g. the optical drive (slave) can reduce throughput to the hard disk (master) and/or interfere with CD burning on another optical drive (master). Finally, polling a drive incurs an overhead both in the host system (processes get woken up often, preventing the CPU to stay in a deep power saving states) and it may pre- vent the actual drive from reaching deep power states as well. As a result, more power is consumed and this affects battery life for lap- tops. Despite the existence of support for asynchronous media change notification in recent MMC (Multi-Media Commands) specifications, virtually no optical drives are compliant with the specification. Fortunately newer SATA ATAPI hardware seems to support Asynchronous Notification (AN) and at this time of writing (March 2007) work is underway to make both the Linux operating system kernel and HAL take advantage of this. It is the position of the HAL team that polling should be avoided at all costs as long as it doesn't heavily impact the user experience in a negative way. This tool is provided as a stop-gap measure to use if a system is rendered useless due to bugs in drivers and/or hardware that is provoked by HAL polling the drive. If such a bug is encountered it should be reported (see the BUGS section below) so it can be fixed - historically hald have triggered a number of bugs in Linux storage drivers and related subsystems (such as USB) that have later been fixed. BUGS
Please send bug reports to either the distribution or the HAL mailing list, see http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/hal on how to subscribe. SEE ALSO
hald(8), lshal(1), hal-lock(1), open(2), http://www.t10.org/scsi-3.htm, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=halpolling AUTHOR
Written by David Zeuthen <david@fubar.dk> with a lot of help from many others. HAL-DISABLE-POLLING(1)