Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Choosing VPN server based on server response times Post 303041895 by Neo on Friday 6th of December 2019 03:11:51 AM
Old 12-06-2019
Network conditions change constantly.

If you create an algorithm to select the fastest VPN host at time = T0, it is highly possible a few minutes later that same selection, which appeared optimal at time = T0, will be much slower than it was before at time = T0 + "not too many seconds later"; especially when you are on a public network shared by many people.

You have no control over when someone else who shares the same host decides to upload or download a huge file. You have no control over others who might also be trying to "optimize" like you, on a shared public network.

The architecture, android, arch x86_64, etc are not relevant because the issue is not under the control of your architecture on shared public networks.

Sounds like you have not done much network management or Internet system design work before.....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading response from server

I am trying to write a korn shell script which posts commands to a server and read the response back from the server. Any idea how I can read the servers response? I have tried doing the following: ( LOGIN:xxxxx command to server read ANSWER echo $ANSWER >file1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 - vpn server

I would like to setup my solaris 10 x86 system as a vpn server. I can't seem to find any good links on setting it up. Do you guys have some links that could walk me thru on setting up the vpn server so that windows clients can connect to it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SNMP Timeout: No Response from server

When I tried to connect snmp from one server to another server Timeout: No Response from server is comming Pls suggest (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
0 Replies

4. AIX

how would you know your server was rebooted 3 times or 5 times

Is there such location or command to know how many times did you reboot your server in that particular day?in AIX. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Cisco IOS VPN server IKE

How do I tell if Cisco IOS VPN server IKE is running on my solaris 10 system (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgsanders
1 Replies

6. Web Development

Apache Web Server - Invalid Response

Hi, I have a SCO Unix Openserver V6 server which is hosting a website with Apache V1.3 as the http server. The web site has an initial login screen which re-directs to another page once the user name and password has been verified. When connecting to the website and trying to login, it times... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Martyn
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help explaining how to use a VPN on a UNIX server with a Mac OS

I have gotten a gig to teach someone how to use a VPN client for a UNIX server on a MAC os. The problem is I have never used UNIX, dont mess with VPN's (my dad has a VPN that I have used a couple of times). I'm currently taking a crash course on UNIX but I was wondering if anyone could help me with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: psycopuppy
0 Replies

8. AIX

Help Me - AIX server connect to a VPN network

Hi, I have a task requested by my boss to create a script to enable a server to connect to a vpn network and then to connect to another server to upload some data... How can I connect to a vpn network from AIX server? via telnet? ssh? I have tried to google but mostly the answers are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mushr00m
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VPN on an online server

Hi there, Believe it or not, the word VPN doesn't give any search result in the forum. I'm trying to get started with VPN. I'm currently in the process of setting up a server. I found a lot of howtos on the web. There's still one thing that I'm not sure of. My plan is to setup the VPN... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
4 Replies

10. IP Networking

VPN Server & Client

First of all, hello. I have a problem installing a vpn server and client. My server is a computer running windows 7, and windows, running a virtual machine running debian. In the debian system, I've the vpn server installed (SoftEther VPN Server) The problems come when I try to connect to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Blues23
1 Replies
FIREWALLD.ZONES(5)						  firewalld.zones						FIREWALLD.ZONES(5)

NAME
firewalld.zones - firewalld zones DESCRIPTION
What is a zone? A network zone defines the level of trust for network connections. This is a one to many relation, which means that a connection can only be part of one zone, but a zone can be used for many network connections. The zone defines the firewall features that are enabled in this zone: Predefined services A service is a combination of port and/or protocol entries. Optionally netfilter helper modules can be added and also a IPv4 and IPv6 destination address. Ports and protocols Definition of tcp or udp ports, where ports can be a single port or a port range. ICMP blocks Blocks selected Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) messages. These messages are either information requests or created as a reply to information requests or in error conditions. Masquerading The addresses of a private network are mapped to and hidden behind a public IP address. This is a form of address translation. Forward ports A forward port is either mapped to the same port on another host or to another port on the same host or to another port on another host. Rich language rules The rich language extends the elements (service, port, icmp-block, masquerade and forward-port) with additional source and destination addresses, logging, actions and limits for logs and actions. It can also be used for host or network white and black listing (for more information, please have a look at firewalld.richlanguage(5)). For more information on the zone file format, please have a look at firewalld.zone(5). Which zones are available? Here are the zones provided by firewalld sorted according to the default trust level of the zones from untrusted to trusted: drop Any incoming network packets are dropped, there is no reply. Only outgoing network connections are possible. block Any incoming network connections are rejected with an icmp-host-prohibited message for IPv4 and icmp6-adm-prohibited for IPv6. Only network connections initiated within this system are possible. public For use in public areas. You do not trust the other computers on networks to not harm your computer. Only selected incoming connections are accepted. external For use on external networks with masquerading enabled especially for routers. You do not trust the other computers on networks to not harm your computer. Only selected incoming connections are accepted. dmz For computers in your demilitarized zone that are publicly-accessible with limited access to your internal network. Only selected incoming connections are accepted. work For use in work areas. You mostly trust the other computers on networks to not harm your computer. Only selected incoming connections are accepted. home For use in home areas. You mostly trust the other computers on networks to not harm your computer. Only selected incoming connections are accepted. internal For use on internal networks. You mostly trust the other computers on the networks to not harm your computer. Only selected incoming connections are accepted. trusted All network connections are accepted. Which zone should be used? A public WIFI network connection for example should be mainly untrusted, a wired home network connection should be fairly trusted. Select the zone that best matches the network you are using. How to configure or add zones? To configure or add zones you can either use one of the firewalld interfaces to handle and change the configuration: These are the graphical configuration tool firewall-config, the command line tool firewall-cmd or the D-BUS interface. Or you can create or copy a zone file in one of the configuration directories. /usr/lib/firewalld/zones is used for default and fallback configurations and /etc/firewalld/zones is used for user created and customized configuration files. How to set or change a zone for a connection? The zone is stored into the ifcfg of the connection with ZONE=option. If the option is missing or empty, the default zone set in firewalld is used. If the connection is controlled by NetworkManager, you can also use nm-connection-editor to change the zone. SEE ALSO
firewall-applet(1), firewalld(1), firewall-cmd(1), firewall-config(1), firewalld.conf(5), firewalld.direct(5), firewalld.icmptype(5), firewalld.lockdown-whitelist(5), firewall-offline-cmd(1), firewalld.richlanguage(5), firewalld.service(5), firewalld.zone(5), firewalld.zones(5) NOTES
firewalld home page at fedorahosted.org: http://fedorahosted.org/firewalld/ More documentation with examples: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD AUTHORS
Thomas Woerner <twoerner@redhat.com> Developer Jiri Popelka <jpopelka@redhat.com> Developer firewalld 0.3.9 FIREWALLD.ZONES(5)