Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location. Post 303041782 by RudiC on Wednesday 4th of December 2019 04:56:36 AM
Old 12-04-2019
I don't think either of a/src, b/src, or x/y/dataLu/src is an absolute path; they all start downwards from your current working directory, $PWD.

Just in case neither the readlink nor the realpath solution please you, and you don't want external commands but bash builtins do the job for you, how would something along this line fit in:
Code:
DIR="../../dataLU/src"
TMP="${PWD%/*}${DIR#..}"
TMP="${TMP/*..*}"
ls "${TMP:-${PWD%/*/*}${DIR#../..}}"

Unfortunately, shell's "parameter expansion" only works on one variable at a time, so the repeated assignments to temporary variables are inevitable. Still it will be faster than creating a process plus loading and running any extermal command.

Last edited by RudiC; 12-04-2019 at 06:04 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

want the current directory without the absolute path

Hi guys I'm trying to move an empty directory to the $TRASH directory. Say the directory i have is ./hello/hello1/hello2 and i'm in hello2, and i want hello2 moved. this code: TRASH=$home/deleted find "$TRASH/$1" -type d -exec rmdir { } \; 2>/dev/null mv -f $1 $TRASH 2>/dev/null works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: olimiles
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi - replacing a relative path with absolute path in a file

Hi, I have a file with about 60 lines of path: app-defaults/boxXYZ....... I want to change this to /my/path/goes/here/app-defaults/boxXYZ, but of course vi doesn't like the regualr :s/old/new/ command. Is there any other quick way to do this? Thanks ;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yinzer955i
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting full path from relative path

given a relative path, how do i convert it into a full one. i.e. if i am in /home/polypus and i am given foo/bar then to get a full path i can just concatinate it with pwd, but what if i am given "../mama" how do i programmatically convert: /home/polypus and ../mama into ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: polypus
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with absolute path and relative path

I'm having problems accessing the Knoppix software on my current computer and the replacement CD I ordered hasn't arrived yet. I have a guess at what the answer would be for this question but I am not sure as I cannot test it with the software. I have to create a directory called class, and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mzero
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

absolute path for a script ran with relative path

I have a script in which i want to print absolute path of the same script irrespective of path from where i run script. I am using test.sh: echo "pwd : `pwd`" echo "script name: $0" echo "dirname: `dirname $0`" when i run script from /my/test/dir/struct as ../test.sh the output i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rss67
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Changing of syslog file path instead of /var/log directory

Hi Please let me know how can we change the syslog file path from /var/log to /a directory in solaris Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting all the files inside a directory from a relative path

I have a file inside abc/def/ghi directory. let say a.txt I need to delete this a.txt from abc itself. I have tried ls /abc/def/ghi | xargs rm -r its saying rm: a.txt non-existent also tried rm -rf /def/ghi but in vein. plz help :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change Absolute path to Relative path

Hello, I have a doubt:- --------------------- Current script:- ################################################################################################ prefix=user@my-server: find . -depth -type d -name .git -printf '%h\0' | while read -d "" path ; do ( cd "$path" || exit $?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_jammu
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert relative path to absolute path?

Hello Everyone, I want to convert Relative Path - /home/stevin/data/APP_SERVICE/../datafile.txt to Absolute Path - /home/stevin/data/datafile.txt Is there a built-in tool in Unix to do this or any good ideas as to how can I implement this. -Steve (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwarentine
5 Replies
SHTOOL-MKLN.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-MKLN.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-mkln - GNU shtool enhanced ln(1) replacement SYNOPSIS
shtool mkln [-t|--trace] [-f|--force] [-s|--symbolic] src-path [src-path ...] dst-path DESCRIPTION
This is a ln(1) style command. It is enhanced to provide automatic calculation and usage of relative links with the shortest possible path, if possible. Usually if src-path and dst-path are not absolute paths or at least they share a common prefix except the root directory (``"/"''). When more than one src-path is specified, all of them are linked into dst-path. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -f, --force Force the creation of the link even if it exists. Default is to fail with error. -s, --symbolic Create a symbolic link instead of a hard-link. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool mkln -s foo/bar baz/quux HISTORY
The GNU shtool fixperm command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for ePerl. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), ln(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-MKLN.TMP(1)