Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers What script would I use to count the number of a term and its opposite? Post 303041741 by mcesmcsc on Tuesday 3rd of December 2019 11:45:53 AM
Old 12-03-2019
thanks everyone, ill give it try. I guess what im looking for is a list something like this:
Code:
"done"
name = value
name = value
name = value

Code:
"not done"
name = value
name = value
name = value

--- Post updated at 05:36 PM ---

also im looking into 3 different files and compiling the "term" and opposite "term" to gather the list of a count of both

--- Post updated at 05:45 PM ---

so I used the:
Code:
 grep -c done */all.txt  | grep -cv done */all.txt > ProductivityReport.md

and it only shows the "done" text and not both or list both?

Last edited by vbe; 12-03-2019 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: code tags please

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to count unique number of user loged in

Hi all, I am taking my first course in unix and having some problems. I would line to create a scrip that does the following: 1) will tell me the number of users logged in. If a user is logged more than once just count it only ones. 2) want to be able to display the number of users that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elchalateco
1 Replies

2. Programming

Create a Term & Run chars on this Term

hi floks ! i'd like to know how can i transmete a character or a string from my source code to a term and make it interpret or un by the shell wich is running in my term. I'd like to create a Term from my code (and get its file descriptor) and then transmete each char typed on the keyboard to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_tical
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search term and output term in desired field

Hi All, I have an input_file below and i would like to use Perl to search for the term "aaa" and output the 3rd term in the same row as "aaa".For Example, i want to search for the term "ddd" and would want the code to ouput the 3rd term in the same row which is "fff". Can somebody help ? ... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
28 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting - write a script that will count the number of times a particular word

hello everyone, I'm trying to learn some scripts but i cant get my head around two of them. 1. how can i write a script that will count the number of times a particular word is used in file? 2. how can i make a script that will take me to a web page from unix? if anyone could help it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

d. Write a shell script to count the number of accounts which belong to particular primary

guys, I am new shelll scripting.. this a question on passt exam paper, I was trying to solve it , I can not. the question is as follow? a. Write a shell script to count the number of accounts which belong to particular primary group in a standard UNIX system which uses local... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gurmad
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script on how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory

how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory using perl script.. I mean if I have 10 files under a directory then I want to count the total number of lines of all the 10 files contain. Please help me in writing a perl script on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityam
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to count specific word and iterate over number of files.

Hi Experts, I want to know the count of specific word in a file. I have almost 600+ files. So I want to loop thru each file and get the count of the specific word. Please help me on achieving this... Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

count number of entries perl program or Unix script

Hi I have a file with number of entries name 1 123 name 1 345 name 1 65346 name2 3243 name2 24234 name 2 234234 so on ......... how to count total number of entries for name 1 and name2...and so on Please guide. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to count number of files in directories

Hi All! I would like to have a script that will count the number of files at the top of the hour of soome directories and mail the results to me. I was thinking on : a=`/directory/subdirectory/ | wc -l` echo "/directory/subdirectory :$a" b=`/another_dir/subdir/ | wc -l` echo... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to count number of rows

Hi, I need a solaris shell script to read multiple files and count number of unique name rows(strings) from those files. The input and output should be like this Input: file 1 abc cde abc ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
9 Replies
guess-helper(8) 						   NVRAM WakeUp 						   guess-helper(8)

NAME
guess-helper - Tries to guess the configuration by comparing four dumps of the NVRAM. SYNOPSIS
guess-helper DESCRIPTION
guess-helper is a helper program from the package nvram-wakeup. It will guide you through the procedure of creating the files needed for the program guess and eventually will run guess at the end. The output will be a configuration file which might even work ;-) Don't change any other BIOS settings you are not told to change until the procedure is finished. See README.mb for more details. SEE ALSO
nvram-wakeup(8), guess(8), README.mb HOMEPAGE
http://sf.net/projects/nvram-wakeup/ AUTHOR
Written by Sergei Haller <Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs at the bug tracking system (see HOMEPAGE) or on the mailing list nvram-wakeup-devel@lists.sourceforge.net COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001-2004 Sergei Haller. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA Linux Jul 07 2004 guess-helper(8)