Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Bash selection of files with similar name Post 303041708 by ALou on Monday 2nd of December 2019 09:36:07 AM
Old 12-02-2019
Thank you very much for the help.
I am sorry about missing out on the rules of posting. I just focused on the "no smoking"one!!! Smilie
I am missing out on a lot!!!!! I have found a few but do you have any recommendation on a website that can take me step by step on programming on unix?

Thanks once again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

selection of files based on its types

Daily we are getting some datafiles to our unix server location FTPIN. Incoming File names will be present in the location "/xyz/test/" as below: "infile_A1_YYYYMMDD", "infile_A2_YYYYMMDD", "infile_B1_YYYYMMDD", "infile_C1_YYYYMMDD" "infile_C2_YYYYMMDD" Where A, B and C are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

selection of context in files

I have a file like this QUEUE: <ITEM(69)> "/NLA///ACHO_EQU_IDX" Q_KEY: <ITEM(69)> "/NLA///ACHO_EQU_IDX" Q_TYPE: <VSTR(32)> "GEN_VSTR_INDEX" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paging/Scrolling a List of files for selection

Hi All, I have the following script and would like to add page up and down functionality to be able to stroll through the list. Is this possible? If so, Any pointers to examples, info, tips, suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, Any suggestion for better practices on the following code... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Festus Hagen
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare the similar files

I got many pair files, which only have small difference, such as more space, or more empty line, and some unreadable characters. If list by commend "diff", I can see many many difference. So I'd like to write a script to compare the pair files, if 95% contents are same, I will think they are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdcwayx
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge two files with two columns being similar

Hi everyone. How can I merge two files, where each file has 2 columns and the first columns in both files are similar? I want all in a file of 4 columns; join command removes the duplicate columns. 1 Dave 2 Mark 3 Paul 1 Apple 2 Orange 3 Grapes to get it like this in the 3rd file:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking to find files that are similar.

Hello all, I have a server that is running AIX, running a tool that converts various printstreams (AFP/Metadata) to PDF. This is done using a rexx script and an off the shelf utility. Each report (there's around 125) uses a certain script file, it's basically a text file. I am trying... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding similar strings between two files

Hi, I have a file1 like this: ABAT ABCA1 ABCC1 ABCC5 ABCC8 ABCE1 ABHD2 ABL1 CAMTA1 ACBD3 ACCN1 And I have a second file like this: chr19 46118590 46119564 MACS_peak_1499 3100.00 chr19 46122009 46148405 CYP2B7P1 -2445 chr1 7430312 7430990... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Yes or No selection within bash function

I need to add a selection within the bash function below and am having some trouble doing so. phox2b() { printf "\n\n" printf "What is the id of the patient getting Phox2B analysis : "; read id printf "Is this an intronic variant? Y/N "; read match_choice case... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash/shell merge similar lines

Hello, I've been working on a bash script to parse through firewall logs (cisco). I'm nearing the end and have a dilemma. My data looks as such (actual data is several gigs worth of logs - without the headers): sourceIP destinationIP destinationProtocol destinationPort 1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umang2382
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Getting similar lines in two files

Hi, I need to compare the /etc/passwd files from 2 servers, and extract the users that are similar in these two files. I sorted the 2 files based on the user IDs (UID) (3rd column). I first sorted the files using the username (1st column), however when I use comm to compare the files there is no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
1 Replies
RANGE(3)								 1								  RANGE(3)

range - Create an array containing a range of elements

SYNOPSIS
array range (mixed $start, mixed $end, [number $step = 1]) DESCRIPTION
Create an array containing a range of elements. PARAMETERS
o $start - First value of the sequence. o $end - The sequence is ended upon reaching the $end value. o $step - If a $step value is given, it will be used as the increment between elements in the sequence. $step should be given as a posi- tive number. If not specified, $step will default to 1. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array of elements from $start to $end, inclusive. EXAMPLES
Example #1 range(3) examples <?php // array(0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12) foreach (range(0, 12) as $number) { echo $number; } // The step parameter // array(0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100) foreach (range(0, 100, 10) as $number) { echo $number; } // Usage of character sequences // array('a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'f', 'g', 'h', 'i'); foreach (range('a', 'i') as $letter) { echo $letter; } // array('c', 'b', 'a'); foreach (range('c', 'a') as $letter) { echo $letter; } ?> NOTES
Note Character sequence values are limited to a length of one. If a length greater than one is entered, only the first character is used. SEE ALSO
shuffle(3), array_fill(3), foreach. PHP Documentation Group RANGE(3)