Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Can I trace who asked for reboot Post 303041687 by chebarbudo on Monday 2nd of December 2019 07:26:15 AM
Old 12-02-2019
Can I trace who asked for reboot

Hi,
I have an unexpected reboot happening on a Debian 9.9 server.
Yesterday 2019-12-01 at 8:30:34 a reboot happened without me or my team being aware:
Code:
/var/log/syslog:Dec      1 08:30:34 xxxx shutdown[6027]: shutting down for system reboot
/var/log/syslog:Dec      1 08:30:34 xxxx init: Switching to runlevel: 6

I see nothing in any other log file.
What should I do to investigate the cause of the reboot?
Regards
Santiago

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple Question ever asked

How do I cahnge my plan under my profile? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: D3adRabbit
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I thought I asked the question before but I haven't sorry

:D could any one answer my previous question... just looked through logg and found no such question that I had asked.. please any input would help \.. :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
2 Replies

3. Solaris

different between soft reboot and hard reboot

Hi Guru's Can any want here could explain to me the different between soft reboot and hard reboot . Best Regards Seelan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seelan3
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to set up ssh, so password not asked

Hi All Plz guide me in setting ssh on local machine so that password will not be asked. I have written a script abc.ksh on machineA to execute a script sampletest.ksh available on machineB Conent of abc.ksh is as follows ssh -q bali@machineB sh ClaimGenFeed/claim/sampletest.ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
1 Replies

5. Programming

put the prog asked in your interview

Submit the program asked to write in the interview eg. write a prog to generate fibonacci series using recursion (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
2 Replies

6. AIX

Career Advice Asked

Dear All i am working on windows plattform and i am interested in Aix so i have done IBM Aix certification, can you please suggest Aix filed is good for my carrier,currently i am working as Desktop admin edit by bakunin: please understand that the question you raised has nothing to do with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manzur13
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable not getting asked....

Hello all, I am trying to pass or trying to get a variable assinged...but seemed like i am doing something wrong here.... so lets say abc.txt(spool the output out) is my file, where i am doing select * Fro mv$version inside my DB and getting some info. -/home/oracle/logs >cat abc.txt SQL>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Username password asked during loging

Hi, Whenever I open my unix box,after providing username and password I get the following message. Are you authorised to use this computer as detailed above? (Y)es/(N)o : y Export: Release 10.2.0.2.0 - Production on Mon May 16 16:00:15 2011 Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: emilybose
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sudo asked for root password .

i have tried to use a sudo command from a user level . but instead of asking for user password it asked for root password . how should i go about it . james@opensuse:/etc> sudo ifconfig root's password: And i wish to ask how should i allow a list of command to be allowed to used for a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lobsang
4 Replies
HALT(8) 						Linux System Administrator's Manual						   HALT(8)

NAME
halt, reboot, poweroff - stop the system. SYNOPSIS
/sbin/halt [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-p] [-h] /sbin/reboot [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] /sbin/poweroff [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-h] DESCRIPTION
Halt notes that the system is being brought down in the file /var/log/wtmp, and then either tells the kernel to halt, reboot or poweroff the system. If halt or reboot is called when the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6, in other words when it's running normally, shutdown will be invoked instead (with the -h or -r flag). For more info see the shutdown(8) manpage. The rest of this manpage describes the behaviour in runlevels 0 and 6, that is when the systems shutdown scripts are being run. OPTIONS
-n Don't sync before reboot or halt. -w Don't actually reboot or halt but only write the wtmp record (in the /var/log/wtmp file). -d Don't write the wtmp record. The -n flag implies -d. -f Force halt or reboot, don't call shutdown(8). -i Shut down all network interfaces just before halt or reboot. -h Put all harddrives on the system in standby mode just before halt or poweroff. -p When halting the system, do a poweroff. This is the default when halt is called as poweroff. DIAGNOSTICS
If you're not the superuser, you will get the message `must be superuser'. NOTES
Under older sysvinit releases , reboot and halt should never be called directly. From release 2.74 on halt and reboot invoke shutdown(8) if the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6. This means that if halt or reboot cannot find out the current runlevel (for example, when /var/run/utmp hasn't been initialized correctly) shutdown will be called, which might not be what you want. Use the -f flag if you want to do a hard halt or reboot. The -h flag puts all harddisks in standby mode just before halt or poweroff. Right now this is only implemented for IDE drives. A side effect of putting the drive in standby mode is that the write cache on the disk is flushed. This is important for IDE drives, since the kernel doesn't flush the write-cache itself before poweroff. The halt program uses /proc/ide/hd* to find all IDE disk devices, which means that /proc needs to be mounted when halt or poweroff is called or the -h switch will do nothing. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8) Nov 6, 2001 HALT(8)