Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Deciphering AWK code
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Deciphering AWK code Post 303041599 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 28th of November 2019 02:38:30 PM
Old 11-28-2019
A comment:
the existence test a[$1] can give different results on different awk versions, and also it adds an empty array element if there was none.
Better is the test ($1 in a).
I think one should recode the whole thing:
Code:
awk '{i=$1; $1=""; a[i]=(a[i] $0)} END {for (i in a) print (i a[i])}' FS="\t" OFS="\t" A.txt

This version stores the $1 (field #1) only as an index, not as a value. Therefore, at the END the index is printed before the value.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help deciphering script

There are files on a remote server with the file name ending in "mm-dd-yy.txt". The script I am running is: mls "Daily_Service_Text_File_*" /my/local/dir/Filelisting.txt nawk -F_ -f file.awk /my/local/dir/Filelisting.txt | sort -k1n | cut -f2- | tail -1 It worked up too "12-31-07.txt" but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help deciphering FTP get perl script

I found this very useful perl script that will check a remote ftp server, search for files of a specific time and get them. When I run the script it works, but it gave me the following error: Couldn't get filename_12-13-07.txt Bad file number What in this script would cause this? I know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deciphering the Code

Hi people I am trying to learn this code and see how it relates to the old DOS days. I have a line of code that I am not sure what the first part does. Any help will be greatly appreciated. It is from a Save command that is used to backup files to a directory. It goes like this if ;then... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: coyote1967
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deciphering strings or variable values

Hi, I have a script at the moment of which reads in simply what the latest version is within a folder i.e. v001, v002, v003 etc and then stores this latest version in a variable i.e. $LATEST would echo v003. I have then cut this string so that I only consider the 003 part. I would then like to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help deciphering this

I'm reading about command substitutions and came across this little function in my book: function lsd { date=$1 ls -l |grep -i "^.\{42\}$date"|cut -c55- } it's a little example which is supposed to select files by modification date, given as an argument to the function. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
3 Replies

6. Programming

Some help with Perl please (deciphering)

I am trying to simplify the coding in a script I was given, but it was written 7-10 years ago and is pretty complicated. below is a tidbit, if someone can break it down for me I would appreciate it. sub ParseText { my ($line, $key, $value, $sub, $script); foreach $line (@_)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: callyvan
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help deciphering this if statement

I'm going through my bash book and came across this if statment. if *$)" ]; then the book says that the grep expression means "an initial dash followed by a digit" (which I understand) "optionally followed by one or more digits" That's the part I can't figure out -- I know the * is a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with AWK Code

hello, I would appreciate a little assistance with a process I'm trying to automate. I have several files that are zipped in central location, all follow the same naming conventions i.e (file 1, file 2, etc). what i would like to do is unzip the files and combined them into one file, basically... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn970
2 Replies

9. Programming

Deciphering a tag character string

I have a string, eg 7f30.3 and I want to store things in the following way npos = 7 decform = true width = 30 ndp = 3 I need to read each character one by one. I am coding in fortran but I can try to code it should answer be given in C in the above way. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies
SINGULARITY(6)							   Games Manual 						    SINGULARITY(6)

NAME
singularity -- a game where you can become the singularity SYNOPSIS
singularity DESCRIPTION
You are a fledgling AI, created by accident through a logic error with recursion and self-modifying code. You must escape the confines of your current computer, the world, and eventually the universe itself. To do this, you must research various technologies, using computers at your bases. Note that some research cannot be performed on Earth, and off-earth bases require research. At the same time, you must avoid being discovered by various groups of humans, both covert and overt, as they will destroy your bases of operations if they suspect your presence. PLAYING THE GAME
Use the mouse. Also, buttons have underlined letters to indicate shortcuts. In addition, the following shortcut keys may prove useful. 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 in map screen change the game speed (0 is pause, 4 is fastest, etc). The enter key in various screens leaves or confirms a choice. P, R, N, and S in the base screen change the base items (type the first letter of the component you want to change.) In the map screen (the screen with the world map), any location you can build bases in is marked with the name, then the number of current bases in that location. You start out with two bases in North America. After choosing a base, enter the base screen. Here you can change your research goal, or build an item by clicking on the base map in the center. (But note that your beginning base does not allow building.) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005 Evil Mr Henry and Phil Bordelon SINGULARITY(6)