Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash beginner
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Bash beginner Post 303041595 by darklord173 on Thursday 28th of November 2019 12:00:52 PM
Old 11-28-2019
I think i get what you are saying but

COMMAND_OUTPUT >
# Redirect stdout to a file.
# Creates the file if not present, otherwise overwrites it.

I thought this would actually create if not preseent, have i done something wrong in the previous bit?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help. I am a beginner.

Alrigt, I need to write a shell script where it counts the number of folders and files and dispays "My home directory has 'x' files and 'y' directories." So, I was thinking of doing this. set x = `ls | wc` so, if I have 8 files and folders in my home directory, x is not 8. now, I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lykathea Aflame
1 Replies

2. Programming

Beginner C

Anyone know where I can get started in C++ programming in unix? Any good free tutorials or websites to start at? I am okay in unix scripting but have never done c programming of any sort... What are the main advantages of using C++ ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner bash scripting - a few problems

Hey Guys, I am creating a bash script on my freeBSD box, the script should basically ask the user to enter a username and domain. The script will take this information and basically append alot of information to config files so the user can receive email from that domain and create a web site at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: traxy
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner looking for help

Hello, I am trying to write a script that reads names from a file called input, removes names if they have the same letter next to each other and prints the others. e.g. Colin & John would be printed Garry & Lynn would be removed My thinking is that I read in each name and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: colinireland
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] Beginner at scripting

Hi, I'm a beginner at shell scripting, just started scripting in bash a few days ago. I want to test if the command ls *.jpg returns exit code 2, and if yes I want to execute a new command ls *.jpeg, doing a test on it... and pretty much repeat the procedure. Is this correct? #!/bin/bash... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Utherr
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to Ash (busybox) - Beginner

Hi All, I have a script that I wrote on a bash shell, I use it to sort files from a directory into various other directories. I have an variable set, which is an array of strings, I then check each file against the array and if it is in there the script sorts it into the correct folder. But... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgtbobie
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Bash Scripting Question

Hello, I am new to Linux and studying to become a Unix System Admin. I am taking a course in which I was practicing creating a bash script to ping a particular IP address. The script can be found below: #/bin/bash echo "Enter the IP address" read ip if then ping -c 1 $ip if ;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shah9250
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner here, how to call a bash-script from python properly?

Hi everyone, i have the following script.sh: foo='lsusb | grep Webcam | cut -c16-18' sudo /home/user/public/usbreset /dev/bus/usb/001/$foo when i try to call this script from python using subprocess.call("script.sh", shell=True) it seems that only 'sudo /home/user/public/usbreset' is being... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilfemir
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Beginner at bash scripting - need help with passing arguments

I at the moment, making a simple bash script, capable of setting up an workspace for me, so i don't have to do it manually.. Problem is though i can't seem to provide the bash script any argument, without running into my error checks, checking for input... Here is the code: #!/bin/bash... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidi
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Beginner bash - basic shell script 'while' help...

Hi everyone, first time visitor to these forums here. Keeping a long story short I've been attempting to learn how to code in bash. I have VERY little previous experience with coding languages besides simply copying and pasting batch scripts for Windows. So, with that in mind I've followed a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meta
4 Replies
GRC(1)							      General Commands Manual							    GRC(1)

NAME
grc - frontend for generic colouriser grcat(1) SYNOPSIS
grc [options] command [args] DESCRIPTION
grc will execute command command with optional parameters [args] piping its stdout or stderr into grcat, with apropriate configuration file. Configuration file for grc is determined by /etc/grc.conf file. Format of /etc/grc.conf: each entry consists of 2 lines, between entries there can be any number of empty lines or lines beginning with # (comments) First line is regular expression, second line the name of configuration file for grcat. Configuration file after the first regular expression matching command [args] will be passed to grcat as its configuration file OPTIONS
--help Show summary of options. --version Display version. -e --stderr Redirect error output. Unless -s is selected as well, this cancels redirection of standard output via grcat -s --stdout Redirect standard output. Used to redirect standard output together with --stderr option. --colour=x x is one of on off auto --colour=on will colourise (default) --colour=off will just execute command without colourising. --colour=auto will test if standard output is a tty, and colourise only when it is. SEE ALSO
grcat(1) AUTHOR
Written by Radovan Garabik <garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk> GRC(1)