Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Limitations of 'pdftotext' in Linux... Post 303041372 by Neo on Thursday 21st of November 2019 11:55:30 PM
Old 11-22-2019
FYI... .here is a GitHub link to the pdftotext source code:

Code:
https://github.com/jalan/pdftotext

Enjoy.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mkdir limitations

What characters can't be used with a mkdir? Any limits on length of name? Thank you, Randy M. Zeitman http://www.StoneRoseDesign.com (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: flignar
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

csplit limitations

I am trying to use the csplit file on a file that contains records that have more than 2048 characters on a line. The resultant split file seems to ignore the rest of the line and I lose the data. Is there any way that csplit can handle record lengths greater than 2048? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravagga
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

pdftotext / PDF conversion to .txt binaries

Good day, I've been trying to look for a way to compile the Xpdf sources in our HP-UX server, but have been failing to do so because there is no GCC installed, and I don't have privileges to install GCC. I was looking for a functionality to convert PDF files to .txt, which is exactly like the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike_s_6
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

gnuplot limitations

I'm running a simulation (programmed in C) which makes calls to gnuplot periodically to plot data I have stored. First I open a pipe to gnuplot and set it to multiplot: FILE * pipe = popen("gnuplot", "w"); fprintf(pipe, "set multiplot\n"); fflush(pipe); (this pipe stays open until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sedavidw
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Limitations on the partition of linux

Hi, I need a documentation about limitations on the linux partition. On how many primary and extended I could create. And also on different type of storage, how many big capacity I can create. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic problem with pdftotext

Hi, I have used pdftotext with good results in the past, but today for some reason I keep getting the same error message. My command is as follows: And the error message is I am using Vmware player with Ubuntu server, but I don't think that is causing this issue as I have been using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joq
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Eth0 Limitations

Hi, I have noticed some performance issues on my RHEL5 server but the memory and CPU utilization on the box is fine. I have a 1G full duplexed eth0 card and I am suspicious that this may be causing the problem. My eth0 settings are as follows: Settings for eth0: Supported ports: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
12 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris limitations

Hi, I recently started working with Solaris, and what I noticed is that a lot of commands I used to regularly use don't work, like sed -i and grep -r. I have found work arounds for these problems though but it's a pain in the ass. I'm just wondering why they decided not to include these handy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
4 Replies

9. Linux

Linux partitions and limitations

In recently reading an article on linux basics before I embark and my personal installation project I came across this passage - IDE drives have three types of partition: primary, logical, and extended. The partition table is located in the master boot record (MBR) of a disk. The MBR is the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synchlavier
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pdftotext from multiple pdf files to a single text file

I have a directory having a number of pdf files. I want to convert all the files to text, stored in a single text file The following creates multiple text files ls *.pdf | xargs -n1 pdftotext (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies
pdftotext(1)						      General Commands Manual						      pdftotext(1)

NAME
pdftotext - Portable Document Format (PDF) to text converter (version 3.00) SYNOPSIS
pdftotext [options] [PDF-file [text-file]] DESCRIPTION
Pdftotext converts Portable Document Format (PDF) files to plain text. Pdftotext reads the PDF file, PDF-file, and writes a text file, text-file. If text-file is not specified, pdftotext converts file.pdf to file.txt. If text-file is '-', the text is sent to stdout. OPTIONS
-f number Specifies the first page to convert. -l number Specifies the last page to convert. -r number Specifies the resolution, in DPI. The default is 72 DPI. -x number Specifies the x-coordinate of the crop area top left corner -y number Specifies the y-coordinate of the crop area top left corner -W number Specifies the width of crop area in pixels (default is 0) -H number Specifies the height of crop area in pixels (default is 0) -layout Maintain (as best as possible) the original physical layout of the text. The default is to 'undo' physical layout (columns, hyphen- ation, etc.) and output the text in reading order. -raw Keep the text in content stream order. This is a hack which often "undoes" column formatting, etc. Use of raw mode is no longer recommended. -htmlmeta Generate a simple HTML file, including the meta information. This simply wraps the text in <pre> and </pre> and prepends the meta headers. -bbox Generate an XHTML file containing bounding box information for each word in the file. -enc encoding-name Sets the encoding to use for text output. This defaults to "UTF-8". -listenc Lits the available encodings -eol unix | dos | mac Sets the end-of-line convention to use for text output. -nopgbrk Don't insert page breaks (form feed characters) between pages. -opw password Specify the owner password for the PDF file. Providing this will bypass all security restrictions. -upw password Specify the user password for the PDF file. -q Don't print any messages or errors. -v Print copyright and version information. -h Print usage information. (-help and --help are equivalent.) BUGS
Some PDF files contain fonts whose encodings have been mangled beyond recognition. There is no way (short of OCR) to extract text from these files. EXIT CODES
The Xpdf tools use the following exit codes: 0 No error. 1 Error opening a PDF file. 2 Error opening an output file. 3 Error related to PDF permissions. 99 Other error. AUTHOR
The pdftotext software and documentation are copyright 1996-2004 Glyph & Cog, LLC. pdffonts(1), pdfimages(1), pdfinfo(1), pdftocairo(1), pdftohtml(1), pdftoppm(1), pdftops(1) 22 January 2004 pdftotext(1)