Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assistance with my Find command to identify last part of a file name and report the name found Post 303041245 by foad on Tuesday 19th of November 2019 09:58:30 AM
Old 11-19-2019
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greavette
Code:
[ -f /var/chef/cache/cookbooks/bootstrap_cookbooks_version_* ]

Is often seen but still wrong and it won't work as expected. A file glob returns a list of files (or the glob itself if no file of that pattern exists).You can't use it as input to a test -f.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with find command and list in a long format each found file

The purpose of those comands are to find the newest file in a directory acvrdind to system date, and it has to be recursively found in each directory. The problem is that i want to list in a long format every found file, but the commands i use produce unexpected results ,so the output lists in a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command in while loop - how to get control when no files found?

I have the following statement in script: find ${LANDING_FILE_DIR}${BTIME_FILENAME_PATTERN2} -print | while read file; do ... done When there are no files located by the find comand it returns: "find: bad status-- /home/rnitcher/test/....." to the command line How do I get control in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavsman
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print as well as count the files found by find command

I want the output of the find command to be printed and also the total files found by it. Can someone help in this. Obviously $ find . -type f | wc -l will not output the files found but only the count. I want both. There can be millions and trillions of files so dont want the output of find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicon007
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File not found using find

Hi, i'm currently writing a script which tidys up old files. When using the find command I found that some files were not being listed /export/home/ops***/test: ls -l processed total 0 -rw-rw-r-- 1 ops*** ****** 0 Apr 20 11:53 test99 /export/home/ops***/test: ls -l total 4... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Assistance with find command please

Trying to locate files less than xx days old, throughout all directories/subdirectories, but excluding certain types of directories and files. The directories I want to search all contain the same characteristic (dbdef, pldef, ghdef, etc), and there are subdirectories within that I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Condmach
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance on making a report log file

:):):):):) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryan101
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Identify the folder is part of which mount point

Dear, I am using Redhat 6.6 . How to identify a given directory is part of which mount point. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneesha
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String variable as part of expression in find command

Hi, I am new in scripting, and I am currently working on a script that will look for other files in a certain directory and exclude some file type. this works fine:Find_File2Exclude=`find ${paths} -maxdepth 1 -type f \( ! -iname '*.out' ! -iname '*.auc' ! -iname '*.cps' ! -iname '*.log' ! -iname... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedd05
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Assistance with my one line command to find all inactive kernels

Hello Forum, I'm using the following command to find all inactive kernels installed on my RHEL server: $ rpm -qa | grep '^kernel-' |grep -vE `uname -r` but the result is in two lines: kernel-3.10.0-1062.1.1.el7.x86_64 kernel-3.10.0-1062.el7.x86_64 Is there a one line command I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
3 Replies
glob.h(3HEAD)                                                         Headers                                                        glob.h(3HEAD)

NAME
glob.h, glob - pathname pattern-matching types SYNOPSIS
#include <glob.h> DESCRIPTION
The <glob.h> header defines the structures and symbolic constants used by the glob(3C). The structure type glob_t contains the following members: size_t gl_pathc /* count of paths matched by pattern */ char **gl_pathv /* pointer to a list of matched pathnames */ size_t gl_offs /* lots to reserve at the beginning of gl_pathv */ The following constants are provided as values for the flags argument: GLOB_APPEND Append generated pathnames to those previously obtained. GLOB_DOOFFS Specify how many null pointers to add to the beginning of gl_pathv. GLOB_ERR Cause glob() to return on error. GLOB_MARK Each pathname that is a directory that matches pattern has a slash appended. GLOB_NOCHECK If pattern does not match any pathname, then return a list consisting of only pattern. GLOB_NOESCAPE Disable backslash escaping. GLOB_NOSORT Do not sort the pathnames returned. The following constants are defined as error return values: GLOB_ABORTED The scan was stopped because GLOB_ERR was set or (*errfunc)() returned non-zero. GLOB_NOMATCH The pattern does not match any existing pathname, and GLOB_NOCHECK was not set in flags. GLOB_NOSPACE An attempt to allocate memory failed. GLOB_NOSYS Reserved. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
glob(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 10 Sep 2004 glob.h(3HEAD)