Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assistance with my Find command to identify last part of a file name and report the name found Post 303041245 by foad on Tuesday 19th of November 2019 09:58:30 AM
Old 11-19-2019
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greavette
Code:
[ -f /var/chef/cache/cookbooks/bootstrap_cookbooks_version_* ]

Is often seen but still wrong and it won't work as expected. A file glob returns a list of files (or the glob itself if no file of that pattern exists).You can't use it as input to a test -f.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with find command and list in a long format each found file

The purpose of those comands are to find the newest file in a directory acvrdind to system date, and it has to be recursively found in each directory. The problem is that i want to list in a long format every found file, but the commands i use produce unexpected results ,so the output lists in a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command in while loop - how to get control when no files found?

I have the following statement in script: find ${LANDING_FILE_DIR}${BTIME_FILENAME_PATTERN2} -print | while read file; do ... done When there are no files located by the find comand it returns: "find: bad status-- /home/rnitcher/test/....." to the command line How do I get control in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavsman
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print as well as count the files found by find command

I want the output of the find command to be printed and also the total files found by it. Can someone help in this. Obviously $ find . -type f | wc -l will not output the files found but only the count. I want both. There can be millions and trillions of files so dont want the output of find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicon007
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File not found using find

Hi, i'm currently writing a script which tidys up old files. When using the find command I found that some files were not being listed /export/home/ops***/test: ls -l processed total 0 -rw-rw-r-- 1 ops*** ****** 0 Apr 20 11:53 test99 /export/home/ops***/test: ls -l total 4... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Assistance with find command please

Trying to locate files less than xx days old, throughout all directories/subdirectories, but excluding certain types of directories and files. The directories I want to search all contain the same characteristic (dbdef, pldef, ghdef, etc), and there are subdirectories within that I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Condmach
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance on making a report log file

:):):):):) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryan101
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Identify the folder is part of which mount point

Dear, I am using Redhat 6.6 . How to identify a given directory is part of which mount point. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneesha
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String variable as part of expression in find command

Hi, I am new in scripting, and I am currently working on a script that will look for other files in a certain directory and exclude some file type. this works fine:Find_File2Exclude=`find ${paths} -maxdepth 1 -type f \( ! -iname '*.out' ! -iname '*.auc' ! -iname '*.cps' ! -iname '*.log' ! -iname... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedd05
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Assistance with my one line command to find all inactive kernels

Hello Forum, I'm using the following command to find all inactive kernels installed on my RHEL server: $ rpm -qa | grep '^kernel-' |grep -vE `uname -r` but the result is in two lines: kernel-3.10.0-1062.1.1.el7.x86_64 kernel-3.10.0-1062.el7.x86_64 Is there a one line command I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
3 Replies
KNIFE-COOKBOOK(1)						    Chef Manual 						 KNIFE-COOKBOOK(1)

NAME
knife-cookbook - upload and manage chef cookbooks SYNOPSIS
knife cookbook sub-command (options) SUB-COMMANDS knife cookbook supports the following sub commands: LIST
knife cookbook list (options) -a, --all show all versions of a cookbook instead of just the most recent -w, --with-uri show corresponding uris Lists the cookbooks available on the Chef server. SHOW
knife cookbook show cookbook [version] [part] [filename] (options) -f, --fqdn fqdn the fqdn of the host to see the file for -p, --platform platform the platform to see the file for -v, --platform-version version the platform version to see the file for -w, --with-uri Show corresponding URIs show a particular part of a cookbook for the specified version. part can be one of: o attributes o definitions o files o libraries o providers o recipes o resources o templates UPLOAD
knife cookbook upload [cookbooks...] (options) -a, --all upload all cookbooks, rather than just a single cookbook -o, --cookbook-path path:path a colon-separated path to look for cookbooks in -d, --upload-dependencies Uploads additional cookbooks that this cookbook lists in as dependencies in its metadata. -E, --environment ENVIRONMENT An ENVIRONMENT to apply the uploaded cookbooks to. Specifying this option will cause knife to edit the ENVIRONMENT to place a strict version constraint on the cookbook version(s) uploaded. --freeze Sets the frozen flag on the uploaded cookbook(s) Any future attempt to modify the cookbook without changing the version number will return an error unless --force is specified. --force Overrides the frozen flag on a cookbook, allowing you to overwrite a cookbook version that has previously been uploaded with the --freeze option. Uploads one or more cookbooks from your local cookbook repository(ies) to the Chef Server. Only files that don't yet exist on the server will be uploaded. As the command parses the name args as 1..n cookbook names: `knife cookbook upload COOKBOOK COOKBOOK ...` works for one to many cookbooks. DOWNLOAD
knife cookbook download cookbook [version] (options) -d, --dir download_directory the directory to download the cookbook into -f, --force overwrite an existing directory with the download -n, --latest download the latest version of the cookbook download a cookbook from the chef server. if no version is specified and only one version exists on the server, that version will be down- loaded. if no version is specified and multiple versions are available on the server, you will be prompted for a version to download. DELETE
knife cookbook delete cookbook [version] (options) -a, --all delete all versions -p, --purge purge files from backing store. this will disable any cookbook that contains any of the same files as the cookbook being purged. delete the specified version of the named cookbook. if no version is specified, and only one version exists on the server, that version will be deleted. if multiple versions are available on the server, you will be prompted for a version to delete. BULK DELETE
knife cookbook bulk delete regex (options) -p, --purge purge files from backing store. this will disable any cookbook that contains any of the same files as the cookbook being purged. delete cookbooks on the chef server based on a regular expression. the regular expression (regex) should be in quotes, not in //'s. COOKBOOK CREATE
knife cookbook create cookbook (options) -o, --cookbook-path path the directory where the cookbook will be created -r, --readme-format format format of the readme file md, mkd, txt, rdoc -c, --copyright copyright name of copyright holder -i, --license license license for cookbook, apachev2 or none -e, --email email email address of cookbook maintainer this is a helper command that creates a new cookbook directory in the cookbook_path. the following directories and files are created for the named cookbook. o cookbook/attributes o cookbook/definitions o cookbook/files/default o cookbook/libraries o cookbook/metadata.rb o cookbook/providers o cookbook/readme.md o cookbook/recipes/default.rb o cookbook/resources o cookbook/templates/default supported readme formats are 'md' (default), 'mkd', 'txt', 'rdoc'. the readme file will be written with the specified extension and a set of helpful starting headers. specify -c or --copyright with the name of the copyright holder as your name or your company/organization name in a quoted string. if this value is not specified an all-caps string your_company_name is used which can be easily changed with find/replace. specify -i or --license with the license that the cookbook is distributed under for sharing with other people or posting to the opscode cookbooks site. be aware of the licenses of files you put inside the cookbook and follow any restrictions they describe. when using none (default) or apachev2, comment header text and metadata file are pre-filled. the none license will be treated as non-redistributable. specify -e or --email with the email address of the cookbook's maintainer. if this value is not specified, an all-caps string your_email is used which can easily be changed with find/replace. the cookbook copyright, license, email and readme_format settings can be filled in the knife.rb, for example with default values: cookbook_copyright "your_company_name" cookbook_license "none" cookbook_email "your_email" readme_format "md" METADATA
knife cookbook metadata cookbook (options) -a, --all generate metadata for all cookbooks, rather than just a single cookbook -o, --cookbook-path path:path a colon-separated path to look for cookbooks in generate cookbook metadata for the named cookbook. the path used here specifies where the cookbooks directory is located and corresponds to the cookbook_path configuration option. METADATA FROM FILE
knife cookbook metadata from file (options) load the cookbook metadata from a specified file. TEST
knife cookbook test [cookbooks...] (options) -a, --all test all cookbooks, rather than just a single cookbook -o, --cookbook-path path:path a colon-separated path to look for cookbooks in test the specified cookbooks for syntax errors. this uses the built-in ruby syntax checking option for files in the cookbook ending in .rb, and the erb syntax check for files ending in .erb (templates). RECIPE LIST
knife recipe list [PATTERN] List available recipes from the server. Specify PATTERN as a regular expression to limit the results. DESCRIPTION
Cookbooks are the fundamental unit of distribution in Chef. They encapsulate all recipes of resources and assets used to configure a par- ticular aspect of the infrastructure. The following sub-commands can be used to manipulate the cookbooks stored on the Chef Server. On disk, cookbooks are directories with a defined structure. The following directories may appear within a cookbook: COOKBOOK/attributes/ Ruby files that define default parameters to be used in recipes COOKBOOK/definitions/ Ruby files that contain resource definitions COOKBOOK/files/SPECIFICITY Files of arbitrary type. These files may be downloaded by chef-client(8) when configuring a host. COOKBOOK/libraries/ Ruby files that contain library code needed for recipes COOKBOOK/providers/ Ruby files that contain Lightweight Provider definitions COOKBOOK/recipes/ Ruby files that use Chef's recipe DSL to describe the desired configuration of a system COOKBOOK/resources/ Ruby files that contain Lightweight Resource definitions COOKBOOK/templates/SPECIFICITY ERuby (ERb) template files. These are referenced by recipes and evaluated to dynamically generate configuration files. SPECIFICITY is a feature of files and templates that allow you to specify alternate files to be used on a specific OS platform or host. The default specificity setting is default, that is files in COOKBOOK/files/default will be used when a more specific copy is not available. Further documentation for this feature is available on the Chef wiki: http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/File+Distribution#FileDistribu- tion-FileSpecificity Cookbooks also contain a metadata file that defines various properties of the cookbook. The most important of these are the version and the dependencies. The version is used in combination with environments to select which copy of a given cookbook is distributed to a node. The dependencies are used by the server to determine which additional cookbooks must be distributed to a given host when it requires a cook- book. SEE ALSO
knife-environment(1) knife-cookbook-site(1) http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Cookbooks http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Metadata AUTHOR
Chef was written by Adam Jacob adam@opscode.com with many contributions from the community. DOCUMENTATION
This manual page was written by Joshua Timberman joshua@opscode.com. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and / or modify this docu- ment under the terms of the Apache 2.0 License. CHEF
Knife is distributed with Chef. http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Home Chef 10.12.0 June 2012 KNIFE-COOKBOOK(1)