Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Awk/sed to replace variable in file Post 303041184 by reldb on Sunday 17th of November 2019 06:11:13 AM
Old 11-17-2019
Hi Rudi

I have idea to do via shell scripting, read this file line by line, find the 1st variable in line and get the relevant fileName which has the value/records and print it as value replacement for full line in a new temp file. Then again read this temp file in loop, replace the second variable for each line and create final output file. though it is possible but it would be little lengthy and difficult if there are more than 2 such variables. thats why i am looking for any straight and simple way if possible

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace with variable using sed or awk

hi, i have file say email.temp looks like Bell_BB 17 Bell_MONTHLY 888 SOLO_UNBEATABLE 721 and another file r3 Bell BB,Bell_BB Bell,Bell_MONTHLY SOLO,SOLO_UNBEATABLE i want email.temp files $1 say Bell_BB should be replaced by r3 Bell BB and Bell_MONTHLY by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using file-and-replace sed command with the use of a variable?

Ok, so, let's say I have the variable $GMAILID....How can I use it with sed command so to replace a string in a file? e.g.: sed -i 's/$GMAILID/test@gmail.com/' /home/$USER/Desktop/sendmail (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk for batch replace file name

Can you please point me in the correct direction? I need a line or script to run though a given directory and find all files with "@domain.local" in there names and simple remove that. For example if the files were named 1234@domain.local the file would then become 1234. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed/awk to replace a block of text in a file?

My apologies if this has been answered in a previous post. I've been doing a lot of searching, but I haven't been able to find what I was looking for. Specifically, I am wondering if I can utilize sed and/or awk to locate two strings in a file, and replace everything between those two strings... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiddsupreme
12 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to replace a value in a certain line from another file containing a string

Hi experts, In my text file I have the following alot of lines like below. input.k is as follows. 2684717 -194.7050476 64.2345581 150.6500092 0 0 2684718 -213.1575623 62.7032242 150.6500092 0 0 *INCLUDE $# filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamnsan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace value of a variable in a file through script using sed

Hi, I am trying to replace the value of a variable in a file through another script. Example: Filename : abc.txt contents: a=10 b=20 c=30 Need to change the value of, say, b - Tried using the following: sed "s/${b}/15/g" abc.txt Have tried various forms of sed (with single quotes,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rituparna_gupta
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk script to replace only FIRST comment in the file

My first comment on every file contains the license message. I want to replace with a new license message. I used the below sed script, which replaces all comments. What is the modification or any other method with awk script for the below to edit only the first comment(license message)? #sed -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vpshastry
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a string with a variable in a file using sed?

I have a file having some text like: PATH_ABC=/user/myLocation I have to replace "/user/myLocation" with a session variable say, $REPLACE_PATH, where $REPLACE_PATH=/user/myReplaceLocation The following sed command is not working. It is writing PATH_ABC=$REPLACE_PATH in the file ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SKhan
2 Replies

10. Programming

How to replace the complex strings from a file using sed or awk?

Dear All, I am having a requirement to find the difference between 2 files and generate a discrepancy report out of it as an html page. I prefer using diff -y file1 file2 since it gives user friendly layout to know any discrepancy in the record and unique records among the 2 file. Here's how it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Badhrish
12 Replies
scotty(1)							 Tnm Tcl Extension							 scotty(1)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
scotty - A Tcl shell including the Tnm extensions. SYNOPSIS
scotty ?fileName arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
scotty is a Tcl interpreter with extensions to obtain status and configuration information about TCP/IP networks. After startup, scotty evaluates the commands stored in .scottyrc and .tclshrc in the home directory of the user. SCRIPT FILES
If scotty is invoked with arguments then the first argument is the name of a script file and any additional arguments are made available to the script as variables (see below). Instead of reading commands from standard input scotty will read Tcl commands from the named file; scotty will exit when it reaches the end of the file. If you create a Tcl script in a file whose first line is #!/usr/local/bin/scotty2.1.11 then you can invoke the script file directly from your shell if you mark the file as executable. This assumes that scotty has been installed in the default location in /usr/local/bin; if it's installed somewhere else then you'll have to modify the above line to match. Many UNIX systems do not allow the #! line to exceed about 30 characters in length, so be sure that the scotty executable can be accessed with a short file name. An even better approach is to start your script files with the following three lines: #!/bin/sh # the next line restarts using scotty exec scotty2.1.11 "$0" "$@" This approach has three advantages over the approach in the previous paragraph. First, the location of the scotty binary doesn't have to be hard-wired into the script: it can be anywhere in your shell search path. Second, it gets around the 30-character file name limit in the previous approach. Third, this approach will work even if scotty is itself a shell script (this is done on some systems in order to handle multiple architectures or operating systems: the scotty script selects one of several binaries to run). The three lines cause both sh and scotty to process the script, but the exec is only executed by sh. sh processes the script first; it treats the second line as a comment and executes the third line. The exec statement cause the shell to stop processing and instead to start up scotty to reprocess the entire script. When scotty starts up, it treats all three lines as comments, since the backslash at the end of the second line causes the third line to be treated as part of the comment on the second line. VARIABLES
Scotty sets the following Tcl variables: argc Contains a count of the number of arg arguments (0 if none), not including the name of the script file. argv Contains a Tcl list whose elements are the arg arguments, in order, or an empty string if there are no arg arguments. argv0 Contains fileName if it was specified. Otherwise, contains the name by which scotty was invoked. tcl_interactive Contains 1 if scotty is running interactively (no fileName was specified and standard input is a terminal-like device), 0 otherwise. PROMPTS
When scotty is invoked interactively it normally prompts for each command with ``% ''. You can change the prompt by setting the variables tcl_prompt1 and tcl_prompt2. If variable tcl_prompt1 exists then it must consist of a Tcl script to output a prompt; instead of out- putting a prompt scotty will evaluate the script in tcl_prompt1. The variable tcl_prompt2 is used in a similar way when a newline is typed but the current command isn't yet complete; if tcl_prompt2 isn't set then no prompt is output for incomplete commands. SEE ALSO
Tnm(n), Tcl(n) AUTHORS
Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@cs.utwente.nl> Tnm scotty(1)